What's new

USHE Press Release: JAWS (Blu-ray) (Plus restoration details) (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Anytime I see "this film never looked good (to begin with)" I groan. Loudly. Glad to hear Universal didn't muck this up. It is a Steven Spielberg film, so, that probably has something to do with it. But yeah, this is great news.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I can guarantee you, as soon as caps are posted elsewhere, the doom and gloom brigade will be out in force to tell us all what a travesty it is.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
To be fair to the "doom and gloom brigade", Universal's track record on Blu-ray quality has been, charitably speaking, spotty. Ron's impressions are indeed encouraging news about Jaws, although seeing that this is one of Mr. Spielberg's major films I doubt he would have allowed them to screw it up. I'm sure that E.T. was treated with equal care by the studio.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I am indeed relieved to hear that Ron's initial impressions of the disc were not only good, but that he was ecstatic about the final product. It also makes me feel better about how E.T. should fare.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd be amazed if this didn't look stonking. The director was involved (& a director with a LOT of clout). Of course I've had the DVD for years & always thought it looked fine. The last time I saw the film was when it was on the telly about one & a half years ago, & thought it looked good then, so if this Blu is a huge step up, wow!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Billy Batson /t/319941/ushe-press-release-jaws-blu-ray-plus-restoration-details/120#post_3955891
I'd be amazed if this didn't look stonking. The director was involved (& a director with a LOT of clout). Of course I've had the DVD for years & always thought it looked fine. The last time I saw the film was when it was on the telly about one & a half years ago, & thought it looked good then, so if this Blu is a huge step up, wow!

Was he involved all the way through to the final Blu ray product or did he just sign off on the no doubt impeccable 4K film scan and subsequent created master.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
FoxyMulder said:
Was he involved all the way through to the final Blu ray product or did he just sign off on the no doubt impeccable 4K film scan and subsequent created master.
I dunno, maybe the people working on it never saw him, but you can bet stuff was piped over to him for approval. The fact that they went to the trouble of scanning the original negs (opening up a big can of worms!) ment that Universal were serious about it.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So glad to read that it meets Ron's expectations. One of my all time favorite movies that I have been wanting on blu-ray since I got my player. So ready for the 14th of August. Thanks for keeping my impatience level at a fever pitch.
Doug

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
haineshisway said:
I can guarantee you, as soon as caps are posted elsewhere, the doom and gloom brigade will be out in force to tell us all what a travesty it is.
I try very hard to be reasonable about Blu-ray quality. I have a good sense of what things looked like in various releases, and can appreciate the ravages that time reveals. Many titles have been very unjustly criticized. I have been pleased with many titles that have been criticized in some quarters.
Despite some recent successes, Universal is still very much on my problematic list. I am simply going to have to hear a lot of very credible reports or, preferably, see the results myself on individual titles.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for reminding me about the release, Ron. It hadn't fallen off my radar, but kinda got mixed in with a lot of other things.

I'm ready to get back into the water...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/319941/ushe-press-release-jaws-blu-ray-plus-restoration-details/120#post_3955892

I would guess--based on the last minute cancellation of Empire of the Sun (different studio of course)--that he doesn't just sign off on the image harvest and subsequent CTM, he signs off on the final check disc as well.

Real Name
Kenneth Kraly Jr.
Glad to here Ron in the early short review for Jaws on Blu-Ray that the film grain is still there. That was one thing I feared when it was announced. Was the film grain still going to be on the print and thankfully it is. I knew with Steve Spielberg at the helm restoring both this film and the upcoming E.T. Blu-Ray that it is in good hands and it does not have a lot of DNR on it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ron, did you take the picture of the set on the carpet yourself?
I only ask because it's showing up on DVDtalk too, someone said they got it from google

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Amazon.uk has a really sharp looking steel book up that doesn't ship until sept. I ordered one, l lov e the look ofthe front art.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks