What's new

USHE Press Release: JAWS (Blu-ray) (Plus restoration details) (2 Viewers)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If that's all on a single disc, I assume that at least one of the two feature-length documentaries is in standard def
Probably safe to assume the original Laurent Bouzereau doc will be SD only as it was made during the Laserdisc era.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
So.... what is missing from this blu-ray release that was available on the DVD release, or even the signature series laserdisc box? Wondering what I need to keep to have everything available...

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Steven Good said:
So.... what is missing from this blu-ray release that was available on the DVD release, or even the signature series laserdisc box? Wondering what I need to keep to have everything available...
If I recall correctly the Laserdisc set included a soundtrack CD and a novelization (book) of the film. I'm glad they're including the full 2-hour version of the Laurent Bouzereau doc that appeared in the Laser set (but omitted from the 25th Anny. DVD). Other than this, I don't know what else might be omitted for this new Blu-ray. That new feature-length doc might make up for any missing material IMO.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
THANK YOU RON!!!!!
I don't know how many posts I have made about Universal including 'The Shark Is Still Working' on the upcoming release, but it was the only thing I was really hoping for.
Awesome.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm in [like there was a chance I wasn't going to be...]
Ordered through the link! Can't wait for this one.
-----------
EDIT: wow, okay I just watched the restoration video. I didn't think my expectations could be heightened but they have been! It looks like they really treated this title right!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Looks like good news on all fronts.
Just ordered through the link here at HTF as well.
My favorite summer time movie!

RossMan

Stunt Coordinator
I hadn't been to the "The Shark Is Still Working" website in a while and thought I would check it out to see if they posted about the blu ray...
www.sharkisstillworking.com/
but it is now a Universal site for the blu ray...
http://www.jawsonbluray.com/
I guess Universal bought it... ?
Still very good news!

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
But will the mono be lossless? Probably not. It lists: DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono and Dolby Digital 2.0, but how can mono be surround? It must be standard DD 2.0. And they're basing the 7.1 mix off of the 5.1 with all the added effects. You can hear some of them in the Restoration video.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
2.0 "mono" as in the same audio information on both channels more than likely. In other words, not stereo.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I guess it's safe to assume they aren't going to DNR the hell out of it, as Universal has been known to do in the past.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
DellaStMedia said:
I guess it's safe to assume they aren't going to DNR the hell out of it, as Universal has been known to do in the past.
I'd look at the movies that Universal has restored this year (the real restorations like To Kill A Mockingbird) as a guess for how this one will be handled.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
I was around when this was new, saw it as audience, then as theatre staff. Somewhere I still have a couple Jaws drink cups and maybe a towel. Caught a rare screening of TSISW and it's great that Uni bought it for this. Hope it was not a hostile takeover! Only other thing I'd wish for is - Biography channel also did its own feature length doc which was very good. Steven seems very pleased with the upgrades to the feature, so yeah this is on the buy list, although won't sell off the existing version until I see if all the existing stuff is ported over.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MattAlbie60 said:
It's been screened, but it's never been commercially available.
It's also not actually produced by Universal, am I right about that? Which means they bought it, or are licensing it or something. But who cares - I just want to see it. I remember it was "Coming Soon" when I was still in college, and I've been out for ages now :)
They would have to have bought it. But such things don't happen very often and it's a great addition here. The doc was pretty comprehensive, they rounded up every surviving cast member you would want to see.
PS nice to see a fellow Studio 60 fan. I have fond memories of my two or three set visits.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
NY2LA said:
They would have to have bought it. But such things don't happen very often and it's a great addition here. The doc was pretty comprehensive, they rounded up every surviving cast member you would want to see.
PS nice to see a fellow Studio 60 fan. I have fond memories of my two or three set visits.
Honestly, I'm kind of pleasantly surprised they aren't releasing it on its own. I was going to buy the JAWS blu-ray, and I was going to buy TSISW when it was eventually available. The fact that I only have to purchase one thing to get both is very nice indeed.
And I desperately miss Matt Albie and Danny Tripp, and think that the world is a less interesting place without them :)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
RossMan said:
I hadn't been to the "The Shark Is Still Working" website in a while and thought I would check it out to see if they posted about the blu ray...
www.sharkisstillworking.com/
but it is now a Universal site for the blu ray...
http://www.jawsonbluray.com/
I guess Universal bought it... ?
Still very good news!
Kinda looks like the buyout or takeover included a gag order as the filmmaker's site included a lot of stuff about their experiences in getting it made. I don't remember whether they had licensed footage from the movie itself or just the trailers (which didn't require permission). I'm thinking this was done ENTIRELY independent of UNI.
Again I call attention to the great full length doc done by/for the Biography channel. Smithsonian channel also had a related "true story behind..." program that was chillingly interesting.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Everyone knows about "The Shark Is Not Working", thanks to Richard Dreyfuss, one of the last surrving members of the film. I'm kinda supprised and not supprised that this release dosen't have a documentary about the history of the ride at all Universal parks, I think.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Ah yes, the ride they recently terminated in Orlando. There are legions of fans upset over that move.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks