What's new

USHE Press Release: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott Calvert said:
Which is why I believe what one thinks regarding changes being for the better or not is irrelevant. I don't care.
It's not the film that was initially released to the public in 1982. Period. The only thing that matters is the film that the filmakers made when they released it for public consumption.
Well you seem to be ignoring the fact that the 02 edition WAS ALSO made and released EXACTLY for public consumption. Period.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
NY2LA said:
Finally a voice of reason! It amazes me when ordinary folks get such inflated egos that they decide their opinion and desires are all that matters, and therefore feel absolutely entitled to deprive others of their own. We see a lot of that here.
I already have the deluxe boxed edition from 10 years ago, which has BOTH versions of the film, and that's fine with me until a Blu Ray includes the 2002 version.
I have every right to vote with my wallet, and those who berate me or look down on me for that, well that IS hilarious, because they have shown no evidence why their opinions should matter to me at all.
Evidence of what?
Evidence of an opinion? You don't need that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
NY2LA said:
Finally a voice of reason! It amazes me when ordinary folks get such inflated egos that they decide their opinion and desires are all that matters, and therefore feel absolutely entitled to deprive others of their own. We see a lot of that here.
I already have the deluxe boxed edition from 10 years ago, which has BOTH versions of the film, and that's fine with me until a Blu Ray includes the 2002 version.
I have every right to vote with my wallet, and those who berate me or look down on me for that, well that IS hilarious, because they have shown no evidence why their opinions should matter to me at all.
Evidence of what?
Why should your opinion matter to anyone after they read what you wrote in that last sentence?
"It amazes me when ordinary folks get such inflated egos that they decide their opinion and desires are all that matters, and therefore feel absolutely entitled to deprive others of their own. We see a lot of that here."
That doesn't make any sense. If you feel so persecuted what is keeping you here.
Looks to me like you are trying to make this thread all yours and feel the need to respond to everyone who posts as if its your responsibility.
You said you won't buy it if the 2002 isn't in the set and provided a reason for that.
Ok thanks for the info, what else is there?

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
NY2LA said:
Well you seem to be ignoring the fact that the 02 edition WAS ALSO made and released EXACTLY for public consumption. Period.
The fact that something is retconned 20 years after the fact is a bit different than "initially released to the public in 1982."

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TonyD said:
Evidence of what?
No, evidence that opinions from someone who repeatedly fails to back up their statements with any valid reason or logic should matter to me. I've already explained this. if you don't get it, you don't get it.
TonyD said:
Why should your opinion matter to anyone after they read what you wrote in that last sentence?
"It amazes me when ordinary folks get such inflated egos that they decide their opinion and desires are all that matters, and therefore feel absolutely entitled to deprive others of their own. We see a lot of that here."
That doesn't make any sense. If you feel so persecuted what is keeping you here.
Looks to me like you are trying to make this thread all yours and feel the need to respond to everyone who posts as if its your responsibility.
You said you won't buy it if the 2002 isn't in the set and provided a reason for that.
Ok thanks for the info, what else is there?
You're basically just proving my point over and over again.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott Calvert said:
The fact that something is retconned 20 years after the fact is a bit different than "initially released to the public in 1982."
"retconned?"
The 02 version is a fact. it was a choice made by the original filmmaker and it exists. Like it or not, it is a part of the film's history. Spielberg said at the time it was an opportunity for a whole new generation to be exposed to the film, and for many of them, that is the version they they first saw, that is the version they imprinted on and that is the version they identify with. But if you want to deny them what YOU have? No one has given a valid reason why.
Show me anywhere in this thread where I ever said, or even implied, that you shouldn't have your sacred beloved original version. Go ahead. I'll wait.....
....Right. Didn't find anything, did you?
Again, silly to me that people will argue that we shouldn't have both, that this new version is such an abomination that it should be erased from history. Again I refer you to CE3K on DVD and Blu Ray. Does it bother you that all 3 versions exist there?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ronald Epstein said:

In Celebration of
Universal Studios’ 100th Anniversary,
One of the Most Beloved Films of All Time Comes to
Blu-ray™ for the First Time Ever

E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
Steven Spielberg’s Unforgettable Adventure Debuts in A Digitally Remastered 30th anniversary Edition
Blu-ray™ Combo Pack With Blu-ray™, DVD, Digital Copy & UltraViolet™ October 2012

http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1
Universal City, California, May 30, 2012 – E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Academy Award®-winning director Steven Spielberg’s magical adventure, celebrates its 30th Anniversary with its first-ever release on Blu-ray™ this October. Featuring an all-new, digitally remastered picture that delivers six times the resolution of DVD, as well as all-new 7.1 surround sound, the E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Anniversary Edition Blu-ray™ Combo Pack includes the 1982 theatrical movie, an all-new interview with director Steven Spielberg, and “The E.T. Journals” featuring never-before-seen footage from the set of the film. The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack also includes UltraViolet™, a DVD and a Digital Copy of the film, offering fans a chance to relive the mystery, laughter and wonder of the iconic movie anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice.
In 1982, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial became the biggest blockbuster of the year, ranking #1 over 16 different weekends. Even today, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial remains the fourth most successful movie of all-time1 in the United States. Nominated for nine Academy Awards® including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Writing and Best Screenplay, the film took home four statuettes for Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Sound and Best Music for John Williams’ (Jaws) memorable score. The unforgettable cast includes the adorable Drew Barrymore (He’s Just Not That Into You, Charlie’s Angels), Henry Thomas (Dear John, Legends of the Fall), Dee Wallace (10, “Sons and Daughters”) and Peter Coyote (“Law & Order: LA,” Jagged Edge).
 “When E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial premiered in 1982, it captured the imaginations of people young, old and everyone in between in a way that was unparalleled in modernmovie history,” said Craig Kornblau, President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. “A global cultural phenomenon—and the biggest box-office blockbuster of its day—E.T. brought out the child in all of us. We are thrilled audiences will now be able to experience the film in the astounding quality of Blu-rayTM.”
BONUS FEATURES ON THE
E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL ANNIVERSARY EDITION BLU-RAY™:
  • The E.T. Journals:  In this all-new bonus feature, retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award®-winning cinematographer John Toll.   This piece will give viewers a unique feeling of being on the set and living the excitement of what it was like to make E.T.
  • Steven Spielberg & E.T.:  Watch an all-new interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
·      Deleted Scenes: Two scenes from 2002 version of the film.
·      A Look Back:  A special insider’s look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film. 
·      The E.T. Reunion:  The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
·      The Evolution and Creation of E.T.:  From idea to screenplay, through casting and making the film. 
·      The Music of E.T.:  A Discussion with John Williams:  Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
·      The 20th Anniversary Premiere:  Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T.   This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.
·      Original Theatrical Trailer
·      Special Olympics TV spot
·     Designs, Photographs and Marketing
  • E.T. Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
  • E.T. Designs by Carlo Rambaldi
  • Spaceship Designs by Ralph McQuarrie
  • Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
  • Production Photographs
  • Marketing E.T.
·      UltraViolet™:  The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and instantly stream and download to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice.  Currently available in the United States only.
·      Digital Copy:  The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack includes a digital copy of the film compatible with iTunes®, iPad®, iPhone®, iPod™, iPod™ touch, Android or online retail partners.
·      pocket BLU™ App:  The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of thedevices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
  • Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
  • Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
  • Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
  • Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
  • Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.
  • BD-LIVE™:  Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
BONUS FEATURES ON THE DVD:
·      Steven Spielberg & E.T.
·      Deleted Scenes
·      A Look Back
·      The E.T. Reunion
E.T.: THE GREEN PLANET
Universal is also partnering with leading independent games publisher Chillingo to publish E.T.: The Green Planet for the iTunes App Store. Inspired by a novel based on a story by Steven Spielberg, players travel with E.T. to his home planet, explore and build extraordinary intergalactic botanical gardens, and share their experiences with friends.
SYNOPSIS
When an imaginative boy meets a lost alien, it is the beginning of one of cinema’s most endearing friendships as Elliot (Henry Thomas) helps the marvelous creature he calls E.T. find his way back home before government agents can capture him.
FILMMAKERS
Cast: Dee Wallace, Peter Coyote, Drew Barrymore, Henry Thomas
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Written By:  Melissa Mathison
Produced By:  Steven Spielberg & Kathleen Kennedy
Edited By: Carol Littleton   
Director of Photography: Allen Daviau
Production Designer: James D. Bissell
Music By: John Williams

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
BLU-RAY™
Street Date: October 2012 – actual date TBD
Copyright: 2012 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Selection Numbers: 61123439
Running Time: 114:27
Layers: Dual
Aspect Ratio: 1:85
Rating: PG
Technical Info: English Dolby Digital 7.1 and 2.0, Spanish and French Dolby 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French and Spanish
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
DVD
Street Date: October 2012 – actual date TBD
Copyright: 2012 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Selection Numbers: 61119825
Running Time: 114:27
Rating: PG
Technical Info: English Dolby Digital 7.1 and 2.0, Spanish and French Dolby 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French and Spanish
About Universal Studios Home Entertainment
In honor of its Centennial anniversary, Universal Pictures proudly salutes 100 years of unforgettable films that have entertained audiences and touched the hearts of millions around the globe. In celebration of our first 100 years, UniversalStudios Home Entertainment is proud to present a selection of our many beloved movies as part of an extensive year-long program that underscores the studio’s rich cinematic history and indelible cultural impact.
Universal Studios Home Entertainment is a unit of Universal Pictures, a division of Universal Studios (www.universalstudios.com). Universal Studios is a part of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing ofentertainment, news and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group and world-renowned theme parks. ComcastCorporation owns a controlling 51% interest in NBCUniversal, with GE holding a 49% stake.
Back to the press release...
Some of the listed supplements look like they are being brought over from the previous DVD, which is nice.
We can imagine that there is only so much original production footage and interviews. So would you imagine that this all-new making-of likely includes some footage from previous supplements?
I understand and agree with people who miss their favorite supplements from previous editions, like the LD. I haven't seen that in ages, so can you share with us what if any material from that was reused in subsequent supplements? And what are your fondest moments that have been missing since?
As for the last DVD edition, can anyone list what from that seems to be missing from the upcoming Blu-Ray?

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
One of the things I'm missing is the deleted scenes material, which includes a scene with Harrison Ford and an alternate ending.

I also note that the back of the Signature Laserdisc includes a note about that never-before-seen behind the scenes footage by John Toll. I don't know if this means that the footage on the Blu-ray comes from the laserdisc or if they found a little more footage.

The Making-of on the laserdisc was a nice piece of work and pretty much told the whole story. A few years later, when they did the DVD, it looks like they chopped it up a bit and included some of the material within other featurettes. And now we will have the Blu-ray, with the DVD material, augmented by two featurettes and two deleted scenes from the 2002 edition.

I'll go through all of this in detail when I get the review copy. I expect the movie will look great and sound great and that the supplements will be as good as they've been. I'll just miss the full documentary that was already made available in the 90s. And most likely the deleted scenes, which I haven't seen on any edition since the laserdisc. I could be wrong on that, if anyone noticed them on the 3-Disc DVD edition...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that anything will be missing from the DVD because in my experience, Universal is very good with porting things over. Maybe it was just left out of the press release and everything will be on the Blu-ray?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It looks like they're carrying everything over from the DVDs except for the 2002 cut and it's accompanying live score audio option. The Harrison Ford scene and documentary are from the laserdisc and haven't been released on DVD.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin EK said:
One of the things I'm missing is the deleted scenes material, which includes a scene with Harrison Ford and an alternate ending.
Oh, yeah, I remember that, especially the ending! i'd really like to have that stuff back again! Wasn't the ending something like a game of D&D and now Elliot's more a leader, then the camera pans up to find the communicator on the roof apparently getting or sending a message?
Now I'm thinking about looking for a copy of the LD so I can have a DVD made from it...
Ray H said:
The Harrison Ford scene and documentary are from the laserdisc and haven't been released on DVD.
I've noticed that often the laserdisc supplements don't get ported over, perhaps because they were produced by a different entity and the rights didn't transfer? Of course that wouldn't explain the deleted scene.
Sidebar: How many of you have done the old E.T. ride at Universal? Did you ever give a different name going in, just to hear E.T. say something funny?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/321107/ushe-press-release-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial/60#post_3932545
Sidebar: How many of you have done the old E.T. ride at Universal? Did you ever give a different name going in, just to hear E.T. say something funny?

Way back when I was a senior in high school a group of us spent a long weekend in Orlando and did the ET ride at Universal. The group of people I was with was very diverse and included a Vijay, Sung-Jik, and Bhavya. There were exactly 8 of us, and as I recall, each "platform" on the ride held 8 people - so our group filled a platform.

We all entered our names correctly, but when we got to the end of the ride and ET started calling us by name, we all could swear we heard a few odd, generic names - like "Bob" and such - and we knew it must have been directed at someone on our platform - most likely those with the unconventional names.

Not sure if they ever improved the software or not, but we all got a kick out of it.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I was just going to ask about the live score option. While I hated the '02 version, the live score was a neat feature, and I'm disappointed that we'll lose it due to the omission of the '02 version. I'm with T. Carter on this one--I wish they'd just include both versions.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
haineshisway said:
Do you honestly think ONE person who saw The Exorcist in a theater saw "wires"? I can assure you they didn't. If people freeze-frame and blow up and/or just LOOK for these things, they'll see them. This is a home video phenomenon. No one saw the wires in the knife throwing finale of Carrie - no one. Only by freeze-framing at home.
Probably not. But at home I see it and wouldn't mind it being removed. I like to be immersed in a film and that one is one that does just that. Now, it's nice seeing the spider-walking thing, but they could leave that out as well since it is obviously not Blair there. But...I probably wouldn't see it as so obvious had that been in the original showing at the theater.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
cafink said:
I was just going to ask about the live score option. While I hated the '02 version, the live score was a neat feature, and I'm disappointed that we'll lose it due to the omission of the '02 version. I'm with T. Carter on this one--I wish they'd just include both versions.
THANK YOU!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jason Charlton said:
Way back when I was a senior in high school a group of us spent a long weekend in Orlando and did the ET ride at Universal.  The group of people I was with was very diverse and included a Vijay, Sung-Jik, and Bhavya.  There were exactly 8 of us, and as I recall, each "platform" on the ride held 8 people - so our group filled a platform.
We all entered our names correctly, but when we got to the end of the ride and ET started calling us by name, we all could swear we heard a few odd, generic names - like "Bob" and such - and we knew it must have been directed at someone on our platform - most likely those with the unconventional names.
Not sure if they ever improved the software or not, but we all got a kick out of it.
As far as I know there was a set of approved names and unusual ones had to be replaced. Otherwise they'd have people putting in "Ben Dover" "Fok Ewe" and "S. Wholl." I actually looked into this and that's what i got from Uni park staffers running the ride.
Last time I went on it the name function was down completely so he just looked at us and waved us on...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Radioman970 /t/321107/ushe-press-release-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial/30#post_3932320
Not sure how they hurt it. The original impressed me so much in 1982 when I was young I went from extremely shy to wanting to act. Ended up in radio because of ET. I treasure the film. But I still love what they did with the 2002 version. I seriously don't see what hurts it.

Before I continue, I'll reiterate that I'd be happy to have them include the 2002 version on the Blu-ray - I'm not advocating for its suppression.

But what hurt it? Most of the work. From my review:

I tried to view the flick from the point of view of what appeared well executed and I attempted not to penalize segments just because they were different. What worked well in the new one? Some of the altered effects did look better. When E.T. ran from the agents early in the flick, the new CG critter definitely seemed more convincing than the old “red light on a rail”. The opening shots of the spaceship also came across as more realistic.

Otherwise, I couldn’t think of any new material or alterations I preferred. The CG E.T. shots varied from watchable to terrible. In Spielberg’s defense, he didn’t go nuts with his new toy. Many of the E.T. facial and body shots carried over from the original; not each and every one of them received an update. A few of the images looked decent, but most came across as overly animated. For example, when we saw E.T. after Gertie dressed him up in drag, the attempts to make him appear humiliated showed far too much movement. CG animators often pour on mannerisms in an attempt to simulate life, but sometimes less is more. For whatever flaws it possessed, the old E.T. puppet had a spark of life that the new CG one lacked.

As for the omission of the guns, that change simply seemed silly. Why wouldn’t government agents out to capture an alien use weapons to execute that task? The switch to walkie-talkies appeared pointless and insulting.

The other most prominent effects alterations occurred during the film’s final act. We saw changes made to the flying bicycle scenes, and E.T.’s spaceship got a makeover as well. I felt indifferently toward the bike scenes. Elliott’s initial ride looked fine, but the group jaunt later in the flick looked a little silly; it added some distracting animations to the kids that seemed unnatural. E.T.’s ship also appeared too busy. The artists tacked on different lights and exhaust effects that didn’t make the vehicle look any more convincing; if anything, they distracted as they called too much attention to themselves.

etpic7.jpg
In addition to the “hippie” line, the 2002 E.T. included at least one altered piece of audio. (Actually, there’s more than that, but I’ll save mention of the other until I discuss the 1982 cut in the supplements.) When Michael sang “nothin’ but health shit” as he checked out the refrigerator, the word “shit” got lowered in volume to the point where it effectively became chopped off after “sh”. E.T. still contained other mild profanity – why did Spielberg feel the need to make this odd little change?

In regard to the six minutes of new footage, two minutes accommodated credits added for the 2002 version. Another 54 seconds included a Halloween scene in which Mary found Michael and Gertie in the neighborhood. This scene made the ensuing scene with the police officer confusing. Since Gertie basically tells Mary where to find Elliott, why doesn’t she just go get him? Why not tell the cop that he’s out in the forest? During the police scene, Mary clearly had no idea where to locate Elliott. Barrymore’s performance in the new scene seemed amusing, but the clip had no place in the movie.

The final and most substantial addition came during the first day that E.T. and Elliott spent together when the latter stayed home from school. It showed them as they weighed each other and E.T. took a bath while Elliott received a call from his mom. Painless but inconsequential, the sequence didn’t actively detract from the film, but it also added nothing and it should have remained on the cutting room floor.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
It is certainly good for a movie to have fans. Fans help make a movie successful and their interests are valuable to its longevity. But then there are the BIG fans, the SUPERfans, the UBERfans, who have seen it so often, and studied it so much that they are hyper aware of practically every frame. Again not necessarily a bad thing, why not, if one enjoys it, but this kind of fan is an entity who sees the film from an entirely different perspective. a REALLY close one. Often closer than the filmmakers had, or intended, or allowed for.
Now I liked the movie, bought a "phone home" t-shirt, buttons, the novelization, sequel, etc... but I haven't STUDIED it. I haven't MEMORIZED it. And I daresay not an exactly huge percentage of the populace have. So the Big, Super, Uber fans, as valuable and important as they are to any film, are not really the majority of its audience.
When I saw the 02 version, the only changes I really noticed, aside from the new scenes, which I liked, and the walkies, which I probably would have missed if they haden't gotten so much publicity, were "hippie" and "health shit." All the CG stuff didn't stand out for me at all, and I daresay did not bother the majority of the audience. Thing is, those digital changes got a lot of publicity before the reissue, otherwise even fewer people would know where to look for them.
I'd like to hear from the folks who were kids in 02 and/or seeing the movie for the first time then, people who now might miss the enhancements of the version THEY grew up with...
That said, I never ever suggested that 02 be the ONLY version released, but I DO think it is sort of petty and vindictive to condemn it to rot forever (not likely - even Lucas can't kill the Holiday Special) and deny it to people who want it. To each his own means it's best is for both versions to coexist, and there is NO reason not to, except to appease the extreme and very vocal scorn from the big, super and uber fans, who again, have their own enhanced perspective that differs from the masses.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
NY2LA said:
It is certainly good for a movie to have fans. Fans help make a movie successful and their interests are valuable to its longevity. But then there are the BIG fans, the SUPERfans, the UBERfans, who have seen it so often, and studied it so much that they are hyper aware of practically every frame. Again not necessarily a bad thing, why not, if one enjoys it, but this kind of fan is an entity who sees the film from an entirely different perspective. a REALLY close one. Often closer than the filmmakers had, or intended, or allowed for.
Now I liked the movie, bought a "phone home" t-shirt, buttons, the novelization, sequel, etc... but I haven't STUDIED it. I haven't MEMORIZED it. And I daresay not an exactly huge percentage of the populace have. So the Big, Super, Uber fans, as valuable and important as they are to any film, are not really the majority of its audience.
When I saw the 02 version, the only changes I really noticed, aside from the new scenes, which I liked, and the walkies, which I probably would have missed if they haden't gotten so much publicity, were "hippie" and "health shit." All the CG stuff didn't stand out for me at all, and I daresay did not bother the majority of the audience. Thing is, those digital changes got a lot of publicity before the reissue, otherwise even fewer people would know where to look for them.
I'd like to hear from the folks who were kids in 02 and/or seeing the movie for the first time then, people who now might miss the enhancements of the version THEY grew up with...
That said, I never ever suggested that 02 be the ONLY version released, but I DO think it is sort of petty and vindictive to condemn it to rot forever (not likely - even Lucas can't kill the Holiday Special) and deny it to people who want it. To each his own means it's best is for both versions to coexist, and there is NO reason not to, except to appease the extreme and very vocal scorn from the big, super and uber fans, who again, have their own enhanced perspective that differs from the masses.
Regarding the 2002 version of E.T., I hope they burn the negative, delete all of the digital files, and sow both with salt. I'm glad they are burying it.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Jason_V said:
Okay, sorry for being "that guy," but Carrie did about $34 million in domestic box office.  No one who saw the film in the theater saw the wires?
I know what point you're trying to make, but come on.  Saying that no one saw the wires is a bit of an exaggeration no one can back up with any facts.
Well, I don't personally know everyone but I did see it about thirteen times during its original run and no one I know ever saw the wires because - you can't see them when you're watching a film on the big screen and the wire is in one frame of the shot. Sorry, that's how it works. On home video, sure - you can pause and still-step, but the way the film was printed and projected, no wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks