What's new

USHE Press Release: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Spielberg said he wanted the bathroom scene initially but the puppet got too soaked in water and leaked unrealistically. He also mentioned other mechanical issues he would have cleaned up if he had the technology, making a point that the Anni edition NOT be a revisionist one, just clearing up things he wanted to do in the first place without the cleanup technology calling attention to itself. He regretted aiming guns at kids and I agree. The "terrorist" line was redubbed (probably being too soon after 9/11) with another line that made less sense. But come on, It's not like he went back and shot a new scene in the spaceship, had someone else "shoot first" and inserted Jar-Jar into every scene. I think it's rather silly people are regarding the 20th edition as if it was another Lucas Extreme Makeover. Spielberg has set a precedent of giving us ALL versions, (CE3K) so I wonder how long before we get the third "definitive director's version" with an option to play all three. That's what we should have had here but this gives Uni a chance to douple-dip again in a couple years. And the loss of extras from previous versions, ditto, and they don't want you selling off your old version when you buy the new one. For these reasons this will NOT be a pre-order or first day buy for me.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Spielberg will never release the "special edition" of E.T.. In a recent excellent interview at aintitcool he said that films are part of history and should be kept the way they were created. He specifically even mentioned an example that he is against removing wires from the original War of The Worlds.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SamT said:
In a recent excellent interview at aintitcool he said that films are part of history and should be kept the way they were created. He specifically even mentioned an example that he is against removing wires from the original War of The Worlds.
That's why I'm curious to see if things like the wire on the buoy in Jaws or cobra reflection in Raiders Of The Lost Ark are still there.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by SamT /t/321107/ushe-press-release-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial#post_3931867
Spielberg will never release the "special edition" of E.T.. In a recent excellent interview at aintitcool he said that films are part of history and should be kept the way they were created. He specifically even mentioned an example that he is against removing wires from the original War of The Worlds.

Thank god he said that AFTER releasing all three versions of CE3K. You do get a clear sense of where the flaws are in the original are (and there are numerous) after watching the 98 version.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
SamT said:
But, HE DID, Blanche! He DID another version! He did TWO other versions of CE3K and we get ALL of THOSE! I find it rather infuriating that people who bitch and moan about not getting their preferred version of the SW films will now want to deny others the right to their preferred version of ET ALONG WITH the original. That updated version is a FACT, it's not a bad dream of figment of someone's imagination, and to hold that back is every bit as bad as holding back the original version of any film.
I think it's naieve to believe he will "never" release the version he put so much thought and effort into. No one forced him to do it, it was his own choice. At this point he's been listening to the screaming Lucas haters too much. Again I look to the CE precedent and predict a double dipping "Ultimate Edition" in the future. Which is why I won't buy this.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm shocked that people here are saying pass on this because the '82 version isn't included.
ThAt was essentially a made for tv remake of the real movie so for me I don't ever need to own another version of it.
I have it on DVD and that's good enough.
I don't even care about the extras anymore just give me the movie and anything else that's included is just bonus.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TonyD said:
I'm shocked that people here are saying pass on this because the '82 version isn't included.
Perhaps you're too easily shocked.
TonyD said:
ThAt was essentially a made for tv remake of the real movie
Speaking of rewriting history - that statement is just patently false. Not a word of truth in it. Spielberg stated in 2002 that his intention was to get the picture BACK IN THEATRES, your statement makes NO sense whatever. Maybe you need to check the definition of "remake."
TonyD said:
so for me I don't ever need to own another version of it. I have it on DVD and that's good enough.
I could say exactly the same thing about the original Star Wars. See how that works?
TonyD said:
I don't even care about the extras anymore just give me the movie and anything else that's included is just bonus.
Again there are other opinions out there that matter at least as much as yours. I won't buy the same movie over again on BR that's missing things I already have on DVD. I Like having extras, they are a definite influence on whether or not I buy , or especially RE-buy, a movie, so I'm a little tired of the studios giving with one hand while they take with the other. And, you're getting what you want with this release, so who are you to imply others should not be getting what THEY want just because YOU don't want it?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
(edited due to sounding too grumpy)
I just don't agree with the idea that a great movie like this one is being dismissed because it is missing bonus features or doesn't include the fake version.
Star Wars is irrelevant to this matter.
I guess I need to add, since you didn't get what I was intending by the made for tv comment.....
Spielberg toned down everything in that version to be so kiddie friendly that it might as well have been a made for tv after school special.

jra166

Grip
Real Name
Jason Ader
Kevin EK said:
I'm more concerned about the loss of material from the laserdisc edition - such as the comprehensive Making-of documentary done for the laserdisc and several deleted scenes, including one with Harrison Ford, and an alternate ending.
I sold that laserdisc set several years ago, under the belief that the materials from it would be put on the eventual blu-ray.  It now appears that this will not be the case.  I'll need to go to Amoeba Records to see if they have a cheap copy of that laserdisc set, I guess.  Shame.
This. This was an excellent documentary. I burned it to DVD from the laserdisc years ago, but was hoping to have it included on the Blu-ray. I guess I'll be tossing the inlcuded DVD/Digital Copy and putting this in it's place. I watch this doc as often as I watch the movie, it is that good.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TonyD said:
Bully for you. I'm talking about my needs anyway. Your wants and needs in reference to this are important to you.
Just as yours are to you, but clearly you think yours are more important, or "correct."
TonyD said:
I just don't agree with the idea that a great movie like this one is being dismissed because it is missing bonus features or doesn't include the fake version.
There goes your credibility again. "Fake version?" Just what exactly is fake about it? You do know the original used a puppet, right?
Who's dismissing the movie? I already HAVE the movie, I bought the VHS and the bigbox DVD. So why should you care if I want to vote NO with my wallet on this reissue set rather than pay for an unsatisfying product? Do you own Universal stock?
TonyD said:
It's ENTIRELY relevant. The newer E.T. is most likely not being included because the same people whining about not getting their preferred version of Star Wars (who I AGREE with, up to a point) made too much of an impact on SS. People who are getting what they want have no business stopping the rest of us from getting what we want, Or even suggesting we shouldn't have it... especially when there is already a precedent for including all versions.
And you don't help your argument by calling the updated version a fake or TV remake.

jra166

Grip
Real Name
Jason Ader
Kevin EK said:
I'm more concerned about the loss of material from the laserdisc edition - such as the comprehensive Making-of documentary done for the laserdisc and several deleted scenes, including one with Harrison Ford, and an alternate ending.
I sold that laserdisc set several years ago, under the belief that the materials from it would be put on the eventual blu-ray.  It now appears that this will not be the case.  I'll need to go to Amoeba Records to see if they have a cheap copy of that laserdisc set, I guess.  Shame.
This. This was an excellent documentary. I burned it to DVD from the laserdisc years ago, but was hoping to have it included on the Blu-ray. I guess I'll be tossing the inlcuded DVD/Digital Copy and putting this in it's place. I watch this doc as often as I watch the movie, it is that good.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TonyD said:
(edited due to sounding too grumpy)
I guess I need to add, since you didn't get what I was intending by the made for tv comment.....
Spielberg toned down everything in that version to be so kiddie friendly that it might as well have been a made for tv after school special.
I don't believe that either. Where do you see him "toning down everything?" He made a point in the update of remaining true to the original and dictated that the tech updates not call attention to themselves. You're making it sound like he made a cartoon out of it. I suppose you're talking about the only editorial changes: aiming the guns and changing the "terrorist" line. Points which we've discussed earlier but apparently you didn't get. He took out the guns because he had become a father and opposed that being shown at all, not just for kids watching. All the four letter words are and original rating are still there. The 2 added scenes (baththb and car) were intended to be there in the first place, so I don't see how anything made the update more "kiddie friendly." Especially since he said when it was first released that he felt he was making a little kids movie and deliberately not an adult blockbuster. It was a kid's movie in the first place, so I don't see him having made it anymore so... If he took out "Penis Breath" or "shit" maybe...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
He made the changes, and the movie then was even more kiddie friendly then it already was
Even if it was what he wanted to do in the beginning, he didn't and the movie as originally released 30 years ago as far as im concerned, is the real version.
The re-do is a novelty item, a curiosity.
I think its a shame if anyone feels they dont want to own this great more because it doesn't include some extras including the super kiddie friendly version.
I never would say anyone is wrong in making that decision I just think its short sighted.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TonyD said:
He made the changes, and the movie then was even more kiddie friendly then it already was
Even if it was what he wanted to do in the beginning, he didn't and the movie as originally released 30 years ago as far as im concerned, is the real version.
The re-do is a novelty item, a curiosity.
I think its a shame if anyone feels they dont want to own this great more because it doesn't include some extras including the super kiddie friendly version.
I never would say anyone is wrong in making that decision I just think its short sighted.
Clearly you are imagining things that simply are not there. You made wild claims that he changed the whole movie to make it more "kid friendly" yet you offer not one specific item of proof. You argument is based on fantasy and not on fact. And you repeatedly ignore that I never said I didn't want to own the movie. That to me is as short-sight as one can get.
I said I have bought it more than once. And until they sell something I want, that's enough.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I never once said I was talking about you.
You assumed that with your very first response to me.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Caps said:
I like the special edition better. CGI improvements were it was needed without harming the film.
I hate to see, yet again, that a blu ray has less material than an SD does.
Ditto. Not a good thing when debuting in a new format to leave things behind. Happens all too often.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
jra166 said:
Exactly.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TonyD said:
I never once said I was talking about you.
You assumed that with your very first response to me.
Okay, your "shocked" reply came less then 5 minutes immediately after my post, so I guess you were talking about someone else. The claim has no basis in fact, however, as no one on his board has "dismissed" the film, or said they didn't want to own it. I'm still waiting for evidence that Steven Spielberg created a "fake remake" of the entire movie to make it a "kiddie friendly novelty."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/321107/ushe-press-release-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial/30#post_3931917
If he took out "Penis Breath" or "shit" maybe...

Which he kinda did for the second word. From my review:

"When Michael sang “nothin’ but health shit” as he checked out the refrigerator, the word “shit” got lowered in volume to the point where it effectively became chopped off after “sh”. E.T. still contained other mild profanity – why did Spielberg feel the need to make this odd little change? "

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks