What's new

USHE Announcement: The Frighteners (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Promotion: The Frighteners 15th Anniversary Blu-ray Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 9/13/2011 THE FRIGHTENERS Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal
Theatrical Release: 7/19/1996 Synopsis: From Academy Award-winning director Peter Jackson (King Kong, The Lord of the Rings) comes this wicked comedy-thriller. Michael J. Fox stars as Frank Bannister, a small-town "ghostbuster" in league with the very spirits he's supposed to be exorcising. The scam works well until a powerful spirit goes on a murderous rampage, forcing Frank to find a way to stop the diabolical ghoul in this special-effects-packed supernatural chiller that's so fiendishly entertaining, it's frightening! Blu-ray Widescreen 15th Anniversary Edition(61114674) : Disc 1 (Side A): Theatrical Version
Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-20679-3-8 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 9/13/2011 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 40 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
French European DTS 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English SDH
Spanish
French
Edition: 15th Anniversary Edition Picture: Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated
R CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • The Making of The Frighteners
• Storyboarding
• My Scenes
• Pocket BLU
Blu-ray Widescreen 15th Anniversary Edition(61114674) : Disc 1 (Side A): Director's Cut (Feature 2)
Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-20679-3-8 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 9/13/2011 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 3 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
French
Spanish
Edition: 15th Anniversary Edition Picture: Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated
R CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • Feature Commentary with Director Peter Jackson
• Peter Jackson's 10th Anniversary Intro
DVD Widescreen (61026746) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-26746-2-4 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 11/29/2005 PreOrder Date: 10/25/2005 Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 3 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-18 (Double Sided) Packaging: Snap Case with Slip Sleeve Layers: Dual Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Spanish
French
Edition: - Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: Director's Cut Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • Feature Commentary with Director Peter Jackson
• The Making of The Frighteners
• Storyboards
• Theatrical Trailer
DVD Widescreen (61026746) : Disc 1 (Side B)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-26746-2-4 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 11/29/2005 PreOrder Date: 10/25/2005 Run Time (HH:MM): - Language: English Disc Type: Packaging: Snap Case with Slip Sleeve Layers: Audio: Subtitles: Edition: - Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: Director's Cut Color/B&W - Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: DVD Widescreen (61020286) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20286-2-5 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 9/18/2007 PreOrder Date: 8/21/2007 Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 50 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-5 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Spanish
Edition: - Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: R CARA Rating: [deleted]Terror/Violence Bonus Features: • Production Notes
• Cast and Filmmakers
• Theatrical Trailer

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm very glad to that both versions are included. The HD-DVD featured only the director's cut, and I was afraid the Blu-ray would follow suit. This is great news.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've been waiting for this one. Is that "making of" doc the super-duper long version?

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Well I was pleasantly surprised by the Legend BD picture quality. Perhaps we have Ridley to thank for that because he appeared to have some oversight on it.

I suspect this might turn out to be another Apollo 13, however. The HD-DVD had some issues to begin with. I just get the strange feeling the BD will be derived from that same source. If there was an indication that Jackson is involved with this release, it could turn out differently. He's busy with The Hobbit, no?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I haven't watched the HD DVD in awhile, but it looked fine the last time I watched it. Mind you, that was on a 720p display. I'm surpirsed no one's commented on the hideous cover art. Even the HD DVD used poster-based art for this one:

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I agree on the bad artwork. This appears to be a trend now, at least with some studios.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That might be the worst cover of the latest batch of blu ray movies.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It would appear that the studio thinks more people will buy it for MJ Fox than for the movie. I can't say they are wrong. But boy does this one cry out for custom artwork.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Hmm...anyone notice anything interesting about the running times of the dvd versions vs. the blu-ray versions?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I've come up with a new term for this type of cover: instead of besmirching the name of Photoshop, which is just a tool, how about we call it the "No Limit Records" look, after all those wretched hip-hop album covers of the late 90s by Master P et al. It fits, doesn't it?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I think that's a typo for the BD theatrical, should be 1h50m.

So, am I to figure the previous dual-sided DVD is included with the BD? Or is this DVD info for a separate (new or re-issue) DVD release (different UPCs after all)?

[Edit: I see that DVD UPC is the same as for the last DVD-18 release.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks