What's new

USHE Announcement: Psycho (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Promotion: Psycho 50th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Release Headline Date: 5/10/2010 Release Date: 10/19/2010 PSYCHO (1960) Product Source: Theatrical Theatrical Studio: Paramount Theatrical Release: 3/8/1960 Synopsis: Blu-ray Widescreen 50th Anniversary Edition(61112067) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-20468-2-7 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 10/19/2010 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 49 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono Subtitles: English SDH French Spanish Edition: 50th Anniversary Edition Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: R CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • The Making of Psycho • Psycho Sound • In The Master's Shadow: Hitchcock's Legacy • Hitchcock / Truffaut Interview Excerpts • Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho • The Shower Scene: With and Without Music • The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass • The Psycho Archives • Lobby Cards • Behind-the-Scenes Photographs • Production Photographs • Re-release Trailers • My Scenes • Feature Commentary with Stephen Rebello (author of "Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho") DVD Widescreen Special Edition(61100450) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-50037-7-3 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 10/7/2008 PreOrder Date: 9/2/2008 Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 49 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Digipak Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono Subtitles: English SDH French Spanish Edition: Special Edition Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: R CARA Rating: [deleted]N/A Bonus Features: • Feature Commentary with Stephen Rebello (author of "Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho") • Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho • The Shower Scene • The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass • The Psycho Archives • Posters and Psycho Ads • Lobby Cards • Behind-the-Scenes Photographs • Production Photographs • Production Notes • Theatrical Trailer • Re-Release Trailers DVD Widescreen Special Edition(61100450) : Disc 2 (Side A): Bonus Disc Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-50037-7-3 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 10/7/2008 PreOrder Date: 9/2/2008 Run Time (HH:MM): - Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Digipak Layers: Single Audio: Subtitles: Edition: Special Edition Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: R CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • The Making of Psycho • In the Master's Shadow: Hitchcock's Legacy • Hitchcock / Truffaut Interview Excerpts • Alfred Hitchcock Presents "Lamb to the Slaughter" DVD Widescreen Collector's Edition(61020251) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20251-2-9 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 5/5/2009 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 49 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono Subtitles: English SDH Spanish Edition: Collector's Edition Picture: Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W BLACK & WHITE Rating: R CARA Rating: [deleted]N/A Bonus Features: • The Making of Psycho • Re-Release Trailers • Newsreel Footage: The Release of "Psycho" • The Shower Scene: With and Without Music • Production Photographs • Behind-the-Scenes Photographs • The Shower Scene: Storyboard by Saul Bass • Lobby Cards • Posters and "Psycho" Ads

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Should we worry about the PQ for this after Universal's latest debacle w/ Elizabeth, et al?

_Man_

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Probably 1.78:1, as this was shot open matte and will likely be transferred to fit the full 16:9 frame. I've done some hunting around the web to confirm/deny that this was designed to be projected 1.66:1, but nothing definitive has come out. It's also entirely possible that this was shot with a 1.75:1 ratio in mind, as that ratio was popular among European filmmakers and some American studios (Disney, for example).

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
1.85 is the appropriate ratio for PSYCHO, and that's coming from paperwork that was filed with Pathe Labs when the film was being processed.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks for you input, Stephen_J_H.

Originally Posted by Jack Theakston

1.85 is the appropriate ratio for PSYCHO, and that's coming from paperwork that was filed with Pathe Labs when the film was being processed.

Thanks for setting that issue straight, Jack. I was hoping you'd chime in.

I've kept a full-screen VHS because I find the additional top and bottom information interesting at key points of the film. A shadow is added to the lower part of the frame during the shower murder. There is no question that the widescreen version is right and better, although sometimes it seems a little tight.

Still an awesome achievement, any way you look at this film.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
A shadow is added to the lower part of the frame during the shower murder.

That's a hard matte that was added after the film was shot so that no knucklehead projectionist could rack (pardon the pun) down the framing to see Ms. Leigh's bosom. It mattes to nearly 1.85-1, again showing that there is really no other possible ratio to run the film in.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I don't dispute 1.85 as the proper ratio.

I point out, however, that while Hitchcock composed for 1:85 he also kept his framing TV safe which means he fills the 4:3 area with additional top and bottom information that serves the story. For example, more stuffed / pictured birds in background during Janet Leigh's discussion with Anthony Perkins. There are several other examples but I haven't watched it in a while so it's not fresh in my mind. The full-frame is not the composition Hitchcock preferred, but it's not an illegitimate variation, either. I saw that repeatedly for 25 years before the widescreen version became available.

As for your pun about Janet Leigh's bosom ... let's not be prudes. Nudity is often used to show the vulnerability and threatened mortality of a person. I believe Hitchcock would have allowed nudity if the morality of 1960 had permitted it. In fact, if WindowsVista did not prevent me from posting screen captures, I would prove to you that there is breast nudity in the shower murder anyhow, out-of-focus behind the hand clutching the curtain. Given that the hard matte was not present during shooting and was added in post, removing it now would probably free the director's intent after all these years.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Even if Psycho had been framed for 1.66:1, there would have been virtually no theaters in the U.S. capable of showing it that way. It would have been projected at 1.85:1.

The out of focus breast WAS in fact an issue with the MPAA. They demanded that Hitchcock remove that shot from the film. Some weeks later he re-submitted the film with out making a single change, and got it approved for release. I guess they blinked and missed the shot on the second viewing.

By the way if you removed the hard matte on the shot of Janet Leigh, you would not see her breasts, but rather a muslin body suit that had been attached to her with spirit gum. The out of focus nude breast is actually that of her double.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks