What's new

USHE Announcement: Halloween II 30th Anniversary (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
My guess is that there are probably variant cuts with the different credits that were created for legal reasons 30 years ago, and that for some reason that was the source of this particular HD transfer. I just don't see Universal doing it out of spite. There's definitely some legal reasoning at some point along the line for this credit variation.

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
I took a look and Dawn Of The Dead is not in Terror In The Aisles on this Blu-ray. The other 61 movies listed in the end credits are all featured so I assume that the only edit is the Dawn clips.
I don't remember ever seeing clips from Dawn of the Dead in Terror In The Aisles.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
The Dawn of the Dead clip was a blink-and-you-miss-it type of clip if I recall correctly. I have both the VHS tape and Japanese import laserdisc so maybe I'll give one a look and see if I can find where it was placed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
John Stell said:
The Dawn of the Dead clip was a blink-and-you-miss-it type of clip if I recall correctly. I have both the VHS tape and Japanese import laserdisc so maybe I'll give one a look and see if I can find where it was placed.
Cool. If you can post the approximate time it is, I'll take a look at that point on the Blu-ray.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
OK - I can confirm that the Terror in the Aisles version on the Blu Ray is the same version that was released on the VHS and Japanese laserdisc. The laserdisc had liner notes which listed out the film clips appearance order and Dawn of the Dead was not listed. So I watched the VHS and that clocked in at approximately 1:22:22. No Dawn clip.

So either the home video releases were always missing that clip or the clip was removed from the film before its release without an update to the end credits. I did see the film way back in 1984 in theater but I do not remember if there was a Dawn clip in there or not.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
John Stell said:
OK - I can confirm that the Terror in the Aisles version on the Blu Ray is the same version that was released on the VHS and Japanese laserdisc. The laserdisc had liner notes which listed out the film clips appearance order and Dawn of the Dead was not listed. So I watched the VHS and that clocked in at approximately 1:22:22. No Dawn clip.

So either the home video releases were always missing that clip or the clip was removed from the film before its release without an update to the end credits. I did see the film way back in 1984 in theater but I do not remember if there was a Dawn clip in there or not.
Thanks for taking a look, John. Good to know that it's complete (or as complete as the other video releases).

MattHR

Screenwriter
gomezfan69 said:
It's a new title card. The background of the title sequence is slightly grey but for that one title (Universal Presents) it goes completely black and then back to a slight grey after it ends. I don't know what Universal has against Moustapha Akkad.
Has anyone received their replacement Blu-ray disc from Universal? I'm curious to know if they corrected the missing Akkad credit using original film elements, or if they simply "dubbed over" video-generated titles. The "MCA" credit on the initial Blu-ray release was done using video-generated text, which is why it appeared in a different font and color. It also lacked the "gate weave" inherent in film based material. It really annoyed me when I first saw it, not just because of the alteration in the credit, but also for how poorly it was accomplished.

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
The replacement seems to be film based, It definitely has gate weave and seems authentic. I cranked up the brightness to check the black level and it matches.

MattHR

Screenwriter
gomezfan69 said:
The replacement seems to be film based, It definitely has gate weave and seems authentic. I cranked up the brightness to check the black level and it matches.
Thanks Jason. That's exactly what I wanted to know before I sent mine back for exchange. I figured if the "corrected" disc was the same video cut-and-paste job, I'd just keep the original release, since it might be more of a "collectible" with the MCA credit.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I don't have this yet. Is the corrected disc in stores now, or is it expected to be eventually? Or do you have to buy it first and go through the replacement process?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I doubt they're pulling it so the reatilers and studio will probably have to go through their existing stock before the corrected disc becomes readily available. This is such a relatively small title, I wouldn't be surprised if years from now, people were still getting the old disc.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I received my replacement today (it took about two weeks). They got it right this time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks