What's new

USHE Announcement: Fried Green Tomatoes (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Headline Date: TBA Release Date: 3/4/2014 FRIED GREEN TOMATOES Product Source: Theatrical Theatrical Studio: Universal Theatrical Release: 12/27/1991 Synopsis: Academy Award® winners Kathy Bates and Jessica Tandy star with Mary Stuart Masterson and Mary-Louise Parker in Fried Green Tomatoes, an inspiring drama adapted from Fannie Flagg’s best-selling novel. When an unhappy housewife (Bates) befriends a lady in a nursing home (Tandy), she hears a remarkable tale of laughter, devotion and a special friendship that defies all obstacles in this heartwarming film from acclaimed director Jon Avnet. Blu-ray Widescreen (61115343) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-20736-5-6 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 3/4/2014 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 17 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Subtitles: English SDH Spanish French Edition: - Picture: Widescreen Version: Blu-ray + DIGITAL HD UltraViolet Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • Digital Copy of Fried Green Tomatoes (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.) • Includes UltraViolet (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.) • Moments of Discovery: The Making of Fried Green Tomatoes • Sipsey's Recipe • Jon Avnet's Director's Notes • Production Photographs • Poster Campaign • Feature Commentary with Director Jon Avnet DVD Widescreen Collector's Edition(61020244) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20244-2-9 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 2/6/2007 PreOrder Date: 1/16/2007 Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 17 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo Subtitles: English SDH French Spanish Edition: Collector's Edition Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • Moments of Discovery: The Making of Fried Green Tomatoes • Feature Commentary with Director Jon Avnet • Jon Avnet's Director's Notes • Production Photographs • Poster Campaign • Sipsey's Recipes • Theatrical Trailer DVD Widescreen Anniversary Edition(61025081) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-25081-2-7 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 1/27/2009 PreOrder Date: 1/6/2009 Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 17 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Subtitles: English SDH French Spanish Edition: Anniversary Edition Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: Extended Version Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • Deleted Scenes • Outtakes • Moments of Discovery: The Making of Fried Green Tomatoes • Sipsey's Recipes • Jon Avnet's Director's Notes • Production Photographs • Poster Campaign • Feature Commentary with Director Jon Avnet

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now Available For Preorder
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I hope they include the isolated music score by Thomas Newman. It was on the original DVD hidden as an extra language track on the Moments... doc. It's a fantastic score that's been scarce on CD for many years.

SS NORMANDIE

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
Anxiously waiting to read other member's thoughts on this recent Blu Ray release. Purchased this and the new "Somewhere In Time" Blu Ray on Tuesday. To my untrained/unqualified eyes, the picture quality looks pretty darn good. There is a lovely defined "lushness" to the overall image and I'm personally very pleased with the transfer and sound quality. A favorite movie of mine and very happy to have it on Blu Ray.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Is it the theatrical version or the extended edition? Not that it matters too much because I like the extra scenes. I saw this in the theater and it did have a lush appearance.

SS NORMANDIE

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
moviebuff75 said:
Is it the theatrical version or the extended edition?
It's the extended edition. It's my understanding that one of the earlier Region 2/'B' Blu Ray releases (possibly German?) of this excellent film also included the theatrical edition in standard definition as one of the extras. Again, a favorite movie of mine and I'm personally very pleased with Universal's release. The AVC-encoded transfer has a nice healthy bit rate, as does the audio.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is on my weekend viewing list. Looking forward to seeing this film
years after its initial DVD release and seeing how it holds up.

By the way, welcome Patrick! Just noticed you here. Glad you joined us.

AndyBlu

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
it's been what, 15 years since the last release on home video ? and here we are, with the new release, and ... it isn't any good. brilliant !

damn you universal and your mediocre releases !

i have a 1080 rip which originates from an HDTV broadcast, and frankly it doesn't look any different than the screen shots i'm seeing on blu-ray.com (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fried-Green-Tomatoes-Blu-ray/92835/#Review). so i see no point in upgrading. universal doesn't want my money. fine, i'm keeping it.

4K is the only hope for this film now. universal are clearly done with 1080p. they will HAVE to master it properly whenever that eventuality occurs. so see you all in 15 years ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Andy,

I bought and watched this Blu-ray a week ago.

I would call the transfer "passable."

I tend to agree with the review. Funny, I did notice the same slight
picture judder in a few brief spots, so I suppose it's going to be noticeable
for everyone.

I would estimate the Blu-ray is a slight upgrade to the DVD. More bandwidth
allows for more detail (as much as there actually is here). For the most part
you can tell this isn't a DVD you are watching. However, it certainly doesn't
look like anything the studio put a lot of attention towards.

If it weren't so cheap at the time I probably would have passed on it.

AndyBlu

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
thanks for your opinion Ron.

sounds just as i suspected.

what a shame.

it's very depressing to think it's going to take them another 10/15 years to get it right.

so i guess this to be the 15 year old master they created back in the DVD era. the same master that's been broadcast on HDTV for all that time. and now, 15 years later, they pass it off on blu-ray. it's laughable when you think about it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Perhaps they didn't want to retransfer the scenes exclusive to the extended cut again and thought this was "good enough." I might as well keep my DVD this time.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Any indication or awareness out there on whether this is the same as the German bluray?

RossMan

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't picked up the blu ray yet. Can anyone confirm or deny if the isolated score is on the blu ray? I assume it's not.

thanks,
ross

RossMan

Stunt Coordinator
RossMan said:
Haven't picked up the blu ray yet. Can anyone confirm or deny if the isolated score is on the blu ray? I assume it's not.

thanks,
ross
Also, it appears that the theatrical version has never been released on DVD or Blu Ray in the US correct? The original collectors edition DVD from 2000 was the extended version? You would have to go back to VHS to see the theatrical cut?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks