What's new

USHE Announcement: Babe (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Promotion: Babe Blu-ray Release Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 4/5/2011 BABE Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal
Theatrical Release: 8/4/1995 Synopsis: Blu-ray Widescreen (61115347) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-20736-9-4 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 4/5/2011 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 32 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
French European DTS 5.1 Surround
Spanish DTS 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English SDH
French
Spanish
Edition: - Picture: Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: G CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • pocketBlu
• The Making of Babe
• George Miller On Babe
• Feature Commentary wtih Writer/Producer George Miller
DVD Widescreen Special Edition(61022972) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-22972-2-9 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 1/9/2007 PreOrder Date: 12/5/2006 Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 32 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
English DTS 5.1 Surround
French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French
Spanish
Edition: Special Edition Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: G CARA Rating: [deleted]N/A Bonus Features: • Feature Commentary with Writer/Producer Georger Miller
• The Making of Babe
• Farmyard Friends Game
• Babe's Challenge Game
• Sheep Ma-a-ath Game
• George Miller on Babe
• Recommendations
DVD Full Frame Special Edition(61023832) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-23832-2-9 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 1/9/2007 PreOrder Date: 12/5/2006 Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 32 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
English DTS 5.1 Surround
French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French
Spanish
Edition: Special Edition Picture: Full Frame Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: G CARA Rating: [deleted]N/A Bonus Features: • Feature Commentary with Writer/Producer Georger Miller
• The Making of Babe
• Farmyard Friends Game
• Babe's Challenge Game
• Sheep Ma-a-ath Game
• George Miller on Babe
• Recommendations

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Babe is a brilliant film about much more than meets the snout. George Miller gets total props for using this simple film to teach children (and all of us) a lesson about in higher consciousness, where you can get others to do what you want not by barking at them or using a power play, but by relating to them and finding a mutual benefit. If only our world leaders or politicians were so enlightened.. Bravo, George.

Now bring on the greatest Fellini animal picture ever made, Babe, Pig in the City, with perhaps the greatest chase sequence starring animals ever filmed. (And if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about). Plus, the only film to show an animal having an "out of body" experience.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Pig in the City is a work of genius. Incidentally, it was the last film that Gene Siskel named Best Movie of the Year before he died.

Too bad it freaked out so many people. It was targeted at an older, more sophisticated audience than its predecessor. How many sequels can say that? The Empire Strikes Back, maybe?

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Totally agree -PIG IN THE CITY was wonderful and I dearly hope it gets the BD treatment too.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I had read plenty of reviews of Babe: Pig in the City, so I had a pretty good idea of what I was in store for. However, I still came away greatly disappointed. I waited several years before watching it again and I think I can now put that disappointment into perspective.

The original Babe was a great movie, with lots of great humor and clever scenes. There were certainly some tension filled scenes, but on the whole it was great, feel good entertainment.

Babe: Pig in the City veers so far from the feel of the original that it doesn't even seem like a proper sequel. It's almost a re-imagining of a franchise. It takes about 3/4ths of the movie before anything positive happens. It's one bad experience after another and filled with a great deal of tension. And then everything miraculously works out in the end. While there were spectacular scenes and it was a very well made movie, it was, in my opinion, a very poor sequel. Sequels should, generally speaking, be a logical extension of the previous movie(s). Heck, this sequel didn't even happen in the same world as the original. The original took place in a very real world where animals just happened to be able to talk. The sequel takes place in some alternate reality with a very surreal feel to it.

Bottom line (in my opinion) is that Babe is a great movie that can be enjoyed be a wide range of people. Babe: Pig in the City is a very well made movie that does a very poor job of extending the Babe franchise. This is undoubtedly done on purpose, perhaps as a rebellion against the standard "duplicate the feel of the original" ideal. However, for me it works very poorly as a sequel. The original is a tremendous joy to watch, the sequel a tension-filled, nerve-wracking, surreal roller coaster ride, with very little joy. (Once again, just my opinion.)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
This is a must buy to upgrade my DVD, a great story that I think my kids are old enough to enjoy. Hopefully Pig in the City isn't too far behind.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Universal equals cautious optimism hoping that they won't DNR/EE the presantation and the dread of wanting to yank my Internet connection from my PS3 so the disc can't shove the downloaded trailer and that ad ticker in my face every time the disc is played, but...

Babe is a great movie that I really look forward to on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks