What's new

USHE Announcement: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
RickardL said:
My UK Masterpiece Psycho has English 2.0 mono (DTS-HD MA 2.0) and English 5.1 (DTS-HD MA 5.1).
you're right!! Either I missed it when I was scrolling thru the audio tracks, or forgot it was there and later read the back of the box which only shows English 2.0. I've corrected my post.
Doctorossi said:
The UK stand-alone BD (region-free) contains the original mono track in a lossless format. I don't believe any other Blu-ray version does.
The original poster was referring to "Vertigo." I dont think there is a stand-alone blu of "Vertigo."

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I spent a lot of time and money collecting Hitchcock on dvd starting back in the late 90s. I finally got a blu ray player late last year and have been debating on how much I want upgrade. I saw that this collection has discs that slide, rather that sit which is annoying, but I'm sure deals can be had on this collection (especially around the holidays again), but I have debated getting the Essentials collection which I can get for like $23 with tax and then get single discs for the others, but they aren't bargains really and would take up more space... I wouldn't buy all of the individual titles, but would get most of them, so that pushes back towards to the Masterpiece set....

So a year out, are most of you happy with the set or would you have a gone a different route?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I bought the UK set (region free) for much less money than the US set cost. It didn't have North by Northwest (which I already had anyway), but apart from the lack of quality transfers for all the films, I am simply delighted with the package. It takes up very little room for so many movies, and I have no regrets whatsoever.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
My recommendation would be to try and find the collection cheap and hold onto your DVD of Family Plot, but it was otherwise a very satisfactory collection. I was one of the lucky ones that got it for $99 (plus shipping) during that strange Fingerhut.com deal and have been generally very satisfied with it (except for the Family Plot transfer).

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Thanks for the info. Whatever I do, I'll steep keep my DVD Masterpiece set. It's a nice set that doesn't take up too much space for a box.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
albert_m2 said:
I spent a lot of time and money collecting Hitchcock on dvd starting back in the late 90s. I finally got a blu ray player late last year and have been debating on how much I want upgrade. I saw that this collection has discs that slide, rather that sit which is annoying, but I'm sure deals can be had on this collection (especially around the holidays again), but I have debated getting the Essentials collection which I can get for like $23 with tax and then get single discs for the others, but they aren't bargains really and would take up more space... I wouldn't buy all of the individual titles, but would get most of them, so that pushes back towards to the Masterpiece set....

So a year out, are most of you happy with the set or would you have a gone a different route?
I'm very happy with the set. I haven't managed to get through all of the titles, yet but I'm about half way through and am enjoying having them in HD. The next one I have to watch is Torn Curtain. I haven't seen that one in years and am looking forward to seeing it again. I just need to find time though!

I didn't have many of the Hitchcock films on DVD, so getting the blu ray set was an easy call for me. I got it for $125 at Costco just a week or two after it was released.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Universal is re releasing the set again in October with new packaging and name calling it “The House of Hitchcock” I assume the same transfers. I guess they are equating Hitchcock with the Universal Monsters. Ie House of Frankenstein House of Dracula. Packaging resembles the Psycho House.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Universal is re releasing the set again in October with new packaging and name calling it “The House of Hitchcock” I assume the same transfers. I guess they are equating Hitchcock with the Universal Monsters. Ie House of Frankenstein House of Dracula. Packaging resembles the Psycho House.
Yeah. I saw that the other day on Amazon. There appear to be some extras that were not in the original set: specifically the television episodes directed by Hitchcock. But whether these are new masters or upscaled from the DVDS remains to be seen.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I saw that the other day on Amazon. There appear to be some extras that were not in the original set: specifically the television episodes directed by Hitchcock. But whether these are new masters or upscaled from the DVDS remains to be seen.
I believe the TV episodes were included when they called the set the Ultimate Collection.
81AhxYbdhIL._SX425_.jpg

81Vk67PywkL._SX466_.jpg

Disc 16:
Revenge (Season 1, Episode 1)
Mr. Blanchard's Secret (Season 2, Episode 13)
Lamb to the Slaughter (Season 3, Episode 28)
Poison (Season 4, Episode 1)
Arthur (Season 5, Episode 1)
Mr. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat (Season 6, Episode 1)
Bang! You're Dead! (Season 7, Episode 2)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: A Look Back

Disc 17:
I Saw the Whole Thing (Season 1, Episode 4)
Three Wives Too Many (Season 2, Episode 12)
Death Scene (Season 3, Episode 20)
Fasten Your Seatbelt: The Thrilling Art of Alfred Hitchcock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks