What's new

Useless trivia thread. (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Asian ear wax tends to be dry and flaky whereas ear wax from Caucasians tends to be more waxy/pasty.

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
Willie O'Ree was the first African American hockey player in the NHL. He played 23 seasons starting in 1958, and is not yet an inductee of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
more for ya..

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar. (I'm not sure if that counts 50 cent pieces or not.)

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

There are more chickens than people in the world.

Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in New Jersey.

The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."

Alex-C

Screenwriter

This is a very interesting story. Bayer developed and figured Heroin was going to be THE product of choice for all kinds of maladies. Apparently Aspirin was secondary to Heroin and discovered somewhat by accident (actual history very easy to find on the web).

But here's the kicker:

Mother's would give their babies morphine to soothe them. (i.e. Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup).

ToddR

Agent

Well, of those 23 seasons, only 2 of them were in the NHL (and one of those seasons consisted of a 2-game call-up late in the season). Not exactly a hall of fame career.

And, I think that he is African-Canadian ;)

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
The first item to use a barcode was Wrigley gum.

Each year, 2500 left handed people die from products designed for right handed people.

The 57 is Heinz 57 refers to the 57 varieties of pickles.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The "57" in "Heinz 57" varieties doesn't stand for anything, at no point were ever 57 varietz of heinz products. There were always more, or fewer.

Some say the 57 has to do with the Illuminati! But most people and historiens think that the founder happend to like the way the number sounded.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Why Rolling Rock bottles are green:

During the war, when recycling was almost mandatory, beer bottles were sent back to their perspective breweries. Rolling Rock made their bottles green so it would be easy to separate them from the others.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm not sure this is true, but i've heard this one...the only place that a plane can fly over a car that is driving over a train that is travelling over a pedestrian all at the same time is in boston, the BU bridge. i know that all of those things are true, i'm just not sure that place is the only place in the world you can do that. i dont know if the train is still active though. and i'm not sure thats what the bridge is called, ive always called it that. for people in boston, it is the one near micro center that crosses the charles, right at the rotary.

CJ

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

just had a Weekend at Bernie's moment there.
"Actually, a plane fell, on the train."

Few more for ya.

Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.

A snail can sleep for three months.

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
I wondered about that African-American thing before. Are there African-Asians, African-Europeans? How about Chinese-American...Chinese-AFricans, or Chinese-South Americans? Hope this is not inappropriate.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure what to do with that little bit of information, although I will be wondering how they opened the can before the opener was invented. Oh, and the conversation between the guy that invented the can opener and the first person he shared this invention with.

Guy 1: "Dude, you know those cans full of food we've got lying around?
Guy 2: "Yeah, the ones we can't open that are taunting us?"
Guy 1: "Check this out, I've come up with a device that will open the cans!"
Guy 2: "Now why didn't someone think of this sooner?"

Anyway, that's my small attempt at humor. I'm also 1 that is interested in the research done on this ear wax thing.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of can openers, the bottle cap (invented in 1892) hasn't really changed at all since it was created. The original design is still the best way to cap your bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks