What's new

Useless trivia thread. (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Quote from friends: "Do you think that somewhere there is a town with the name "Sample" and so when you drive in, the sign says your in sample?"

Stop trying to turn this thread in to a pissing contest.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
That wavey thing on a Coca-Cola bottle/can/logo is called "Dynamic Ribbon Device". Yes, it's a trademark.

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
This is from my Western Civ. text.
"Born in the seventh century, Sappho lived on the island of Lesbos in the Aegean Sea, where she taught music and poetry to her young charges. Many of her poems are love songs to her female students. Our word lesbian is derived from Sappho's island of Lesbos."

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

That's a piss poor response if you ask me.

On another note has anyone heard that they're thinking of changing the spelling of uranus in order to hault the senseless jokes?

The new spelling is urinus

SethH

Senior HTF Member
"Why is a female shark's skin twice as thick as a male's? Males like to bite during courtship"

"You inhale about 700,000 of your own skin flakes daily."

"The Roman word for secretary meant 'one who keeps a secret'"

"The Bayer Aspirin Company trademarked the brand name Heroin in 1898."

A Warning in the instructions for a digital thermometer: "Do not use orally after using rectally."

-All taken from Uncle John's Ahh-Inspiring Bathroom Reader

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I once knew what the "P" and "Q" stand for in the phrase "Mind your Ps and Qs" but now I've forgotten. I've been trying to figure out for a long time. Help?

JamesCB

Second Unit
I think P's and Q's were pints and quarts. I beleive it was a saying originating in England. It has something to do with alcohol consumption.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I read that no one knows exactly what the "Mind your P's and Q's" means, but (as James pointed out), there is the one theory about paying attention to wether you're being served a pint or a quart beer.

Also, they say it may have to do with the old typesetting machines where the lowercase p's and q's could easily get mixed up.

Since typesetting machine (like typewritters) have the letters backwards (so they print correctly), a backwards 'p' looks like a 'q' and it can be confussing when laying out backwards letters.

JamesCB

Second Unit
A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. So, "I'll be back in a jiffy" has a whole new meaning.

More than 99.9% of all the animal species that have ever lived on earth were extinct before the coming of man.

A lump of pure gold the size of a matchbox can be flattened into a sheet the size of a tennis court.

Absolutely pure gold is so soft that it can be molded with the hands.

An ounce of gold can be stretched into a wire 50 miles long.
In 1945 a computer at Harvard malfunctioned and Grace Hopper, who was working on the computer, investigated, found a moth in one of the circuits and removed it. Ever since, when something goes wrong with a computer, it is said to have a bug in it.

The correct response to the Irish greeting, "Top of the morning to you," is "and the rest of the day to yourself."

The "pound"(#) symbol is called an octothorpe.

OK, that's enough for now. I have to get back to work.:)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Birds are the only surviving dinosaurs.

I forget the exact numbers, but I once heard that there are like 2-3 million known animal species in the world and like 10 million species still left to be discovered. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks