What's new

Used Saab or new VW??? (1 Viewer)

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Jason,

I will indeed check into the source you suggest. I still have a few weeks before I'm ready to buy. I will definately try the 4 cyl/auto. Although this car will be replacing my Honda for hauling, it's our 99 Camry that we've decided to sell off (leaving the Accord for in-town duties). It's a nice comfy car that has been trouble-free, natch. But, it's a sedan and pretty damn boring. I'm used to driving a slightly bigger car on trips than a CRV, so comfort is a factor...the Saabs were quite good in this area.

And, on the Saabs I've seen, the ignition is indeed down near the gear handle....I don't have a problem with it; it's kinda cool.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
John,

Thanks. Cool indeed.

Another small detail: their driver seats are internally warmed. Is necessary in Sweden.
They also make one of the most beautiful convertibles in the world.

(Sorry for adding a few BIG pictures: ) ;)

(Saab 9-5)

(Saab 9-3 Convertible)

Cees

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Hehe, Cees is smitten!

All US Saabs have had the ignition on the floor EXCEPT for the 9000s which shared their platform with Alfa-Romeo and Citroen.

The convertible is, indeed, very pretty. Heated seats are fairly common now (my Subaru has them :D ).

You're right though, Saab was always with the pioneers in front-wheel drive, turbocharging, 3-point safety belts, knee bolsters, crumple zones, aerodynamic testing, engine submarining in the event of an accident, X-style brake systems, and independent suspensions. The 9-series looked very strange up to 1994 because they were designed to be able to withstand center-punching an elk at highway speed.

Saabs do have charm and in most of the country outside the Northeast megalopolis and California, they're quite rare. Saabs engines were originally two-strokers and the cars were sold through home and garden tractor dealers!

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Nice pictures...very nice. Actually, I'm surprised how many Saabs I see here in MN where heated seats are also quite popular!

I already got responses at the saabnet and it seems that both engines have issues....timing belts on the 6 and some ignition cassette thing...time to compare the two and see what I think.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Ahh the ignition cassette!!

My 9000's ignition cassette fried itself at 100,000. Saab was one of the first companies to adopt direct ignition and to accomplish this they created an all-in-one unit that sits on top of the engine. Most direct ignition systems place the module to the side or on the firewall and then run wires to the plugs. Not Saab! In a move worthy of that 10%, the entire ignition system sits on top of the engine. The extreme heat of the engine eventually fries the cassette without warning and you need to be towed to the nearest Saab shop and be ready to shell-out $800 plus labor to get it fixed. I had hoped that Saab switched to a more practical design but it doesn't seem to be the case. Are you sure the current models have this problem?

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I guess I don't know for sure, but when I mentioned on the Saabnet that I was looking at a 2001 9-5, I was told by a couple of people about this issue. I'll have to check into it further as it seems like one of the most common liabilities of the 4 cyl engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks