What's new

Used Gear (1 Viewer)

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
My HK AVR7000 is in the repair shop. It's been an extremely frustrating experience, one which I will recount later for the benefit of other users who may need a repair shop in the future. Briefly, it was supposed to be a 2 to 3 business day wait for a diagnosis. The reality has been otherwise: It's been in the shop for two weeks, and on the bench for four business days; but all I can get are two responses, "The technician isn't here yet" and "I don't know; I'll ask the technician when he gets here."

Based on this experience, I am thinking of simply getting another receiver. Yet the thought of the expense of a new receiver depresses me, when I don't have and don't plan on buying the upgraded technology to take advantage ofHDMI (no HDTV), ProLogic IIx (only 5 speakers), etc. So I was thinking of getting a used receiver, even though I am going through audio shop repair hell.

Given this, I was wondering if anybody here had any recommendations for used gear. I am looking for gear with a feature set similar to the AVR7000 from a solid manufacturer (preferably NOT HK at the moment). Also, how will I know what is a good price to pay?

Thanks for listening.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That's a shame. My local fixit electronics shops, though I've used them rarely, have been excellent.

Anyway. Are you using the component video switching? I'd recommend one of the higher model Integras. A year or so ago I bought a DTR7 for about $300 and it kicks major booty! DD and DTS, no component video switching, my HDTV receiver is hooked directly to my EDTV so one receiver input only does audio.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
No, my TV doesn't have a component input; only S-Video.

A used Integra sounds good. DTR7. I will have to keep my eyes peeled.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John;
I'd consider a Yamaha RX-V2500 or Denon AVR-3805 either used, refurbished or new if you can find one. Being last year's (or last couple of year's) models, the prices of these have come down quite a bit and can usually be found between $400-600, fairly substantial drop from the $1,000+ sticker. I've had great success with uBid a few refurb purchases. In fact, all three receivers I'm using (main setup, secondary setup (Denon AVR-886/2106( and bedroom (Yamaha RX-V659)) are all refurb receivers from uBid and all three looked brand new out of the box and are performing flawlessly. AudiogoN is a good place to look for used equipment. The prices likely won't be rock bottom or as cheap as eBay for some items, but most folks that sell on A-Gon take pretty good care of there equipment.

I've previously owned a Denon AVR-2802, 3802 and 3803 and all three of these were fairly strong receivers with a good feature set. The 3805 is a little more up to date and has plenty of on-board power.

I'm currently running a Yamaha RX-V2500 as a pre/pro in my main setup and for the price, it does a heck of a job, has tons of features and is quite the powerhouse when using the internal amps.

Food for thought... -TD

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
Thanks for the posts guys. This helps tremendously. As I am looking for good equipment that won't strap me. This has been very helpful. Thanks!

jrgreene1968

Agent
Real Name
Harry
make sure you get a guarantee it will work if you buy it online from someone...i bought a denon off the forums here just last week and it didnt work, and the guy refused to refund...

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Jrgreene;
If this was the case, make others here aware of their nick as well as their name if you have it.

These forums can carry negative word-of-mouth just as easiy as they can carry positive. There's no excuse for someone selling DOA equipment on these types of forums unless their a deadbeat scumbag... -TD

jrgreene1968

Agent
Real Name
Harry
Well, after i exchanged several e-mails with the guy he refused refund,so i sent an email to the Moderators to put him on the bad seller list,,and i believe they banned him from the forums, it definately put a sour taste in my mouth getting burned like that. His name is Brian Fineberg...seemed to be a stand up guy, until i asked for a refund...so like i said, if you are buying used...make sure they will guarantee it wont be DOA

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks