What's new

Use JBL DSC 500 Active Subwoofer with Yamaha RXV-673 (1 Viewer)

ketul

Auditioning
Real Name
Ketul Odich
Techies,
I have JBL DSC 500 home theatre system.
zestawy-kina-domowego-jbl-dsc-500-230-p11282.jpg

I'm getting rid of its old DVD player. The active subwoofer and satellite speakers are working absolutely fine and they generate awesome sound.
I've purchased Yamaha RXV-673 A/V Receiver
RXV673_Overview.jpg

The cable, which connects the subwoofer to its DVD player is a VGA cable. The subwoofer output from the Yamaha AV receiver is an RCA cable.
Can you guys help me in knowing how to connect my active subwoofer to Yamaha receiver. I would be able to connect the satellite speakers directly from the receiver.
Thanks & Regards

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The JBL connector is proprietary, so you'll have to get a pin-out diagram to figure out which wire is the sub wire. With that you could build an RCA jack to connect that wire to the proprietary end of the sub connector. (Google listed a wiring diagram, but it was provided in rar format and I don't have a rar converter).
The satellites are 4 ohm. So while you could connect them to the 673, you will have to be aware of possible shutdown. (The Yamaha site was down, but I'm pretty sure that model is not 4 ohm certified.)
If you didn't say you loved the sound I'd encourage you to move on. But since you love them, it wouldn't cost too much to wire the RCA into the proprietary plug and give it a shot. The only thing I'm worried about is that the sub is designed to look for a signal on all the pins or not work; if that's the case you're out of luck (or you wire the thing to be used with a sound card and convert it to a PC system).

ketul

Auditioning
Real Name
Ketul Odich
Thanks a lot for this information. I have the circuit diagram from JBL's service manual. I was able to figure out the subwoofer + & - connections.
Yamaha's manual also indicates that how to switch from 8 ohms to 6 ohms, which also supports 4 ohms. The JBL subwoofer turns on when I switch on my DVD player. I am little worried that how a RCA connection would do, is it required or only the audio signal would turn it on?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The main problem with those satellites isn't their OHM load. IT is that they are horrendously inefficient and you want to hook them up to a receiver that has real power...not some ridiculously over-spec'd BS.
Basically they handle 35 watts at 4ohm(which this AVR makes twice that at 8ohm) and are only 86db efficient.
By the time you "attempt" to make that subwoofer function with the Yamaha, you could buy this and be done with it...
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1800BL-5-1-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B001AVRD62/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356553178&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+5.1+speakers
Or a little bit better...
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM705-Theater-System/dp/B000WGJX5A/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356553178&sr=1-6&keywords=yamaha+5.1+speakers
But either of those sets, at $120 or $200, is much better than the satellites you have now...and come with a subwoofer that is equal to what you have...with no hoops to jump through.
Sell the JBL system you have now...or give it to somebody as whole set. Or, move it into your bedroom for a 2nd HT.

ketul

Auditioning
Real Name
Ketul Odich
I understand in what you are saying. In fact initially I had thought of combining this receiver with Bose Acoustimass 10. As you might be knowing they don't show technical specifications, I hope that can handle this receiver, what do you think?

ketul

Auditioning
Real Name
Ketul Odich
No, no, not like that. I'm trying to evaluate systems. Apart from the above 2 mentioned systems in your reply, do you have anything else in mind especially from Yamaha. I appreciate your efforts in helping me out with my selection and I thank you for that.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, I had no idea what kind of speaker budget you had/have. I mentioned those two because they are like what the JBL system was...yet compatible, without hoops, with the Yamaha.
If you are willing to spend $900...
Pinnacle S-Fit
BIC Acoustech
Polk TSi
Mordaunt Short Carnival
Martin Logan Motion
KEF C series

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That JBL you link is fine. I'll already tell you BIC and Pinnacle aren't going to be available in India...Well BIC maybe. Pinnacle, definitely not. They are a small mom/pop based in the US with barely a Canadian presence...

Dorien

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
d54ae340_JBLSUBINPUTS.png
[ATTACHMENT=449]JBL SUB INPUTS.png (43k. png file)[/ATTACHMENT] Did you manage to get the jbl dsc 500 to accept an RCA... I would like to know which of the proprietary inputs to use for this.... my issue is that the dvd player simply broke and i am left with a simply unusable SUB AND SATELLITE SYSTEM. I was just going to throw the whole system in the trash but if I can save it then I would love to... (IN CASE OF ANYONE THAT KNOWS HOW TO FIX IT WOULD BE GREAT TOO>>>) DVD resets itself every couple of minutes. Even when not plugged into the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks