What's new

US Sony Press Release on NEW ES Line (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
I like the 400 dvd changer some might think it's over kill, but if you have a big and ever growing collection it's a plus.

Any thoughts on the new ES line, the 9000 receiver has DVI switching and the back panel is almost like the back of a PC with verticle loading PCI slot-like cards for future upgrades. HT & computers are really starting to come together.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Finally, a megachanger that can handle DVD, CD, and SACD all in one. It'd be nice if it did DVD-Audio too, but we'll never see that from Sony, and probably not from anyone else for a long time to come. Hopefully it'll come in black as well. I think I'll pick one of these up at discount a few months after release, it'll be nice to never have to worry about breaking my DVD's on the poor hubs most cases come with.

Either that pic of the DA9000ES is horizontally squashed, or that's one BIG receiver. Especially for one with digital amplification. Upconversion of composite and S-Video to component: very nice feature for convenience. DVI switching: well, that was a weakness of DVI before, looks like that won't be any excuse much longer. Now if only they upconverted everything and put it on the DVI (even as analog over DVI-I) for real convenience, but maybe next year...
I've read reports that the 9000ES will also include IEEE-1394 connection(s) for use with a new SACD player. The press release doesn't mention it, but it would be nice. It'd be even nicer if it worked with the megachanger....

Terence,
Where'd you find pictures of the back? All I've managed to find is a pic of the insides of the DA9000ES, but no back shots of anything.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Did anybody listen to these things at the show? I wonder how they sound compared to the current ES lineup.

Mark

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
No, the picture is not horizontally squashed -- the knobs appear round. That's one huge receiver! I imagine Crutchfield will have the pictures of the back shortly before it's release.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
170 watts X 7 plus 9.1 capability.

Damn, this thing is a direct challenge to the Denon 5803 at less than half its price ($1500)

I just picked up the 7ES for $900 and change. I might regret doing that in Oct. when this monster hits the street.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Damn, this thing is a direct challenge to the Denon 5803 at less than half its price ($1500)
That's the 5000ES, not 9000ES. 9000 is $4500 and I imagine is the one that's supposed to give Denon a run for it's money.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nobody said if they actually heard these things... I am curious how the digital amps sound.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Bill, I only mentioned it because you said direct challenge; I don't argue with 5000 being a very impressive piece of machinery — at least on paper, but the same applies to this whole line; as John pointed out, nobody seems to have heard them yet. Also, my understanding is that only the 9000 will feature a digital link for the new SACD player, similar to Denon Link in 5803 and Firewire link used by Pioneer 49TXi.

terence

Supporting Actor
Here is the over sears press release.

"Sony Europe Announce i.LINK SACD Components
Sony Europe has revealed the inclusion of a Firewire (IEEE-1394) digital interface as part of their 9000ES series of components, announced in Berlin last week. Both the flagship TA-DA9000ES multi-channel digital amplifier and SCD-XA9000ES SACD player will be equipped with an i.LINK digital terminal, Sony’s trade name for the IEEE-1394 transmission interface.

Following the lead of Pioneer and Denon, the new digital link will allow the transmission of ‘raw’ DSD data from Sony player to receiver, but unlike the solutions from the aforementioned companies, is devalued somewhat by its incompatibility with high-resolution PCM, from DVD-Audio discs for example.

The following information supplied by Sony:

Sony Europe has announced the introduction of a new range of top level hi-fi components created to illustrate the outstanding potential that new generation digital formats offer to home entertainment users prepared to invest in the very best equipment. Designated 9000 Series, the new family includes Sony’s flagship multi-channel digital amplifier (TA-DA9000ES), together with the SCD-XA9000ES Super Audio CD player and the 1000W power-rated SA-WX900 Subwoofer.

“New digital formats such as DVD-Video and Super Audio CD are revolutionizing home entertainment. From an audio perspective, they offer a surround sound experience that is so lifelike that you could be there on the movie set or in the recording studio”, commented Jeffry van Ede, Director, Sony Home Audio Video Europe. “The 9000 Series is the result of a major development programed and demonstrates just what can be achieved with this new technology. Super Audio CD is fantastic and the way these components exploit that potential is truly staggering”.

At the heart of this new Sony component range is the TA-DA9000ES digital multi-channel amplifier, provided with seven independent channels of amplification, each with a power output of 200W. The amplifier is fitted with an i.LINK (IEEE-1394) interface, which provides a very high quality single cable connection to the similarly i.LINK enabled SCD-XA9000ES multi-channel Super Audio CD player. This provides a high quality connection capable of supporting Super Audio CD’s Direct Stream Digital (DSD) signals. The TA-DA9000ES is also equipped to decode Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24 used on DVD-Video as well as Dolby Pro Logic II.

Flagship Super Audio CD player
The SCD-XA9000ES player represents the state-of-the-art in multi-channel and stereo Super Audio CD, as well as conventional CD playback technology. Presented in the characteristic Sony ES (Extremely High Standard) family style, this new player incorporates a tri-powered D/A Converter system. This feature enables the reproduction of the wide frequency range associated with Super Audio CD but with significantly lower noise levels, making it technically the best Super Audio CD player for multi-channel sound.

When combined with the new digital amplifier utilizing i.LINK connectivity, these components achieve new levels of sonic purity and multi-channel integrity. To overcome any placement or speaker configuration issues in home playback, Sony has integrated its Multi-Channel Speaker Management System. Also, thanks to a new dual laser pick-up, developed to read the different Super Audio CD and CD layers, CD-R and CD-RW can also be played back.

The ES range specification includes gold-plated line-out terminals and a dedicated headphone jack. A dual R-core transformer takes care of the separate power supply requirements of the audio and digital circuits. The output specification includes one optical and one coaxial digital output as well as a 5.1 multi-channel analogue output. The infrared remote control with number keypad gives direct access to individual music tracks. Super Audio CD and CD Text conveniently deliver information on the current track on an FL (dot matrix) display.

Extreme sub-woofer performance
The third component of the new Sony 9000 Series caters for the user who requires the very best performance throughout the audio spectrum, from extremely high definition tweeters to ground shaking bass performance. The new top-grade Sony SA-WX900 subwoofer speaker supplies an immense 1000W power output via two 300mm bass units. These are controlled by a dedicated 1000W digital amplifier designed to ensure the ultimate bass performance for every type of music from reggae to the emotion of the most complex orchestral works. The SA-WX900 features a subwoofer input via RCA connection and speaker in/output terminals.

The TA-DA9000ES and SCD-XA9000ES will be available throughout Europe from October 2003, and the SA-WX900 from August 2003."

Sony Europe Announce i.LINK SACD Components
Sony Europe has revealed the inclusion of a Firewire (IEEE-1394) digital interface as part of their 9000ES series of components, announced in Berlin last week. Both the flagship TA-DA9000ES multi-channel digital amplifier and SCD-XA9000ES SACD player will be equipped with an i.LINK digital terminal, Sony’s trade name for the IEEE-1394 transmission interface.

Following the lead of Pioneer and Denon, the new digital link will allow the transmission of ‘raw’ DSD data from Sony player to receiver, but unlike the solutions from the aforementioned companies, is devalued somewhat by its incompatibility with high-resolution PCM, from DVD-Audio discs for example.

– New digital formats like DVD-Video and Super Audio CD will revolutionize Home Entertainment. Sonicly they will allow for a surround-sound experience which is so realistic that it feels like being on the movie set or in the studio, says Ansgar Raastad, head of products at Sony Norway.
– The 9000 series is the result of a extensive development program, and shows what can be achieved with this new technology. Super Audio CD is marvelous, and the way these new components take advantage of the potential is truli impressive.

The heart of the new series from Sony is the TA-DA9000ES, a digital multi-channel amplifier, furnished with seven separate channels, each delivering 200W. The amplifier also comes with a i.Link (IEEE1394) interface, which provides a simple connection with very high quality to the correspondingly equipped multi-channel SACD player SCD-XA9000ES. This interface supports the SACD's Direct Stream Digital (DSD) signal. The TA-DA9000ES also comes with decoders for Dolby Digital EX, dts-ES, dts 96/24 as-well as Dolby Pro Logic II.

The SCD-XA9000ES player represents the best in both multi-channel and stereo SACD as-well as conventional CD playback. The new player has an integrated "tri-powered" D/A converter system which allows for considerably lower levels of interference while reproducing the wide frequency spectrum associated with SACD. This means that the SCD-XA9000ES is the best multi-channel SACD player on the market.

Combined with the new digital amplifier and the i.Link coupling, these components reaches new levels of acoustic purity and multi-channel integrity. To make an alternative placement of the loudspeakers in the room possible, Sony has integrated their Multi-Channel Speaker Management System. Thanks to a new double laser pick-up, developed to read the different SACD and CD layers, playback of CD-R and CD-RW discs are possible.

The specifications of the ES (Extremely High Standard) series includes gold-plated line out terminals and a separate headphone connector. A double R-core transformer takes care of the separate needs for sound and digital circuitry power supplies. Outputs include one optical and one coaxial digital connector as-well as an analog 5.1 output. The infra-red remote control provides direct access to individual music. SACD and CD-Text displays information on a dot matrix display.

The third component in the 9000 series caters to the needs of those who demand the best throughout the whole spectrum of sound. – From high-definition treble speakers to earth-rumbeling bass. The new Sony SA-WX900 subwoofer comes with a whopping 1000 Watts feeding two 3000 mm speaker elements. The integrated digital amplifier is designed to provide the ultimate in bass for all types of music – From reagge to the most intricate orchestral works. SA-WX900 has RCA inpu and speaker input/output terminals.

TA-DA9000ES and SCD-XA9000ES will be available in Europe in October 2002 while the SA-WX900 will arrive in August 2003.

Recommended price, including taxes
TA-DA9000ES: NOK 35,000 (~$4550)
SCD-XA9000ES: NOK 30,000 (~$3900)
SA-WX900: NOK 8,000 (~$1040)

"The new ES receivers will soon be available and the prices are as follows (Canadian $)

STRDA1000 $999.99
STRDA2000 $1299.99
STRDA3000 $1699.99
STRDA5000 $2499.99
STRDA9000 $5999.99

The STRDA1000 has had orders placed, therefore stock should be available soon (within a month). The others may be as late as October before available. All current models are discontinued (DA1, DA2, DA4, DA7)."

"Here's some more!

STRDA1000 - June
STRDA2000, 3000 - July
STRDA5000 - September
STRDA9000 - Most likely October

ALL are 7 channel amps (the DA1000 is 100W X 7), and ALL are silver. There is a dramatic style change, with some interesting curves."

"Here's what Sony Has to say so far...

STRDA5000ES
The Sony STR-DA5000ES is a full embodiment of the Elevated Standard in audio and video. You can see it in the latest decoding modes, the complete set of custom installation interfaces, phenomenal processing power and seven channels of amplification. Optimum Preamplification (OP) and Frame & Beam construction deliver uncanny sonic accuracy. Dolby Digital EX, dts-ES 6.1 and Pro Logic II decoding support the latest surround sound sources. An RS-232C interface, 12-volt triggers and infrared repeater jacks make the DA5000ES the perfect centerpiece for the most sophisticated A/V systems. And 3-room/3-zone capability even lets you share the entertainment with additional rooms! Video up conversion to component allows maximum resolution from all of your various video sources with only 1 output to your television.

STRDA1000ES
700 watts of clean power (100W x 7). Next, consider the construction, from the ultra-rigid aluminum front panel to the anti-resonant sf Fin heat sinks to the gold plated inputs and outputs. Ordinary receivers are not built this well. Consider the processing, with 32-bit Dolby Digital EX, dts ES Discrete 6.1and Pro Logic II decoding, 32-bit DSP and Sony's Cinema Studio EX modes"

"http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/tada9000/index.htm
http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/strdb2000/index.htm
http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/strda5000/
http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/strda3000/

Here are links of the Europe version, photos of the TA-DA9000ES.

http://www.edisport.it/edisport/afdi...256cec0057d3e1

Inside shot

http://www.dvd-si.com/oprema.php?selected=266

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Man I cant wait now. I have been waiting for Sony to do a Mega DVD changer in there ES line. Now I just hope they make it in black too. I hate that silver crap, but if not I,ll just have to hide it behind a serious piece of dark tinted glass.

terence

Supporting Actor
Now I just hope they make it in black too. I hate that silver crap
Sony tried this few years back going with the silver, but went back to black. I think it's a marketing so their stuff stands out from all other A/V products. In Europe A/V products are all silver to our all black and guess what? Sony stuff is mostly black so they can so call separate themselves from everyone else.

terence

Supporting Actor
is 9000 receiver 200x7?
That is the claim, since they are using digital discrete amps. Now if it is true remains to be seen or should i say tested. I don't think there is a standard for testing digital amps, i guess they will test them the same way as the analog amps.

JackS

Supporting Actor
A discussion at another forum seemed to question weather the new 9000es was a receiver or an integrated amplifier. Does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
The term "Receiver" seems to answer that in the press release. But then again, writers can get very flowery with words when trying to put the very best spin on things.

Bill

Gary_R

Agent
I have a TA-E9000ES preamp and five bi-amped N9000ES's for five years, and now, a pair of Boston back surround speakers in the original boxes. I waited for the (nonexistant) 10ES and now I find the Sony ES line is going completely digital. Perhaps I should take advantage of the low prices for the 7ES to move up to pro Logic II and 7.1, but somehow, I don't feel even this is much of an upgrade.

Gary

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
A discussion at another forum seemed to question weather the new 9000es was a receiver or an integrated amplifier.
It's a receiver. It would have to lose the tuner, digital signal processor, and several other "receiver features" in order to be considered an integrated amplifier, which is little more than an amplifier with switching capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks