What's new

Urgent Newb question....which speakers to keep?? (1 Viewer)

Matthew23

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Amedeo
[Sorry - I posted this in the Speakers forum but later saw this forum and felt this may be a better place - sorry for the double post]
Here is the post -
I currently have a yamaha RX-V571 BL 7.1 channel receiver I bought about a year ago and have been very happy with. Because we were moving into a home that was pre-wired for speakers to mount on the walls, I bought a Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel speaker system because it was realtively cheap. A few months later I found an excellent deal on a pair of Klipsch Quintet Satellite Bookshelf Speakers to add on.
Yesterday, Amazon's Gold Deal of the Day was Klipsch QUINTET 5.0 Speaker System for $199. I thought since I already had the two bookshelf speakers and these seemed like an upgrade by reading the positive reviews on Amazon, I sprang for them to replace my Yamaha's that I had original purchased and hopefully upgrade my system.
Urgent question (because I am not sure if I should cancel the order before it ships): How do these two sets of speakers compare? Are the Klipsch worth it as an upgrade over the yamahas? The room is long and narrow - probably and 30 feet long, 20 feet wide. Was this a worthy upgrade considering the price?
I am not looking to have a multi-$1000 system (yet). I just want something that gives us a home theater experience until we can afford serious equipment.
Any advice? Wll the Klipsch sound better??? They def look better!
Side note: I want to mount the four on the wall. I have heard their mounting system is kind of complicated and people did complain about it. Anyone have any experience??
Thanks in advance,
Matt

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Klipsch is a better speaker system but they tend to be very bright sounding with their horn-loaded tweeters (like cupping your mouth when yelling out the window). Some like this type of sound but others find it very tiring, especially for music. You will also need a subwoofer with the Quintets which will push the total price uo to at least $350 but you would end up with a better system than the Yamaha's which are a very entry-level speaker system.

Matthew23

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Amedeo
thanks for the reply. I do have the yamaha sub that I will keep until I get something else. I want to use the system mainly for movies, tv, etc. Music occasionally but it would not be too loud (we have a 1 year old).
I guess my general question is - and this is completely subjective, I know - is the upgrade worth it from the Yamahas to the Klipsch for $199.99? Is there a better system around the same price range?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would think the Quintets would be worth the extra money. Those Yamaha speakers come in some of their htib packages. BTW, Fry's has them in their add tody for $99. Not bad at that price but I think you would like the Quintets a little better.
If you can find the Energy Take Classic 5.0 or the Boston Acoustics CS-2310B for around the same price they would be good alternatives. They're both recommended around here quite often. Prices can vary depending on when and where you look as well as condition (open box, floor models, refurbished, etc). Both would have a more laid-back sound to them, particularly the Energy's. Check sites like Vanns.com and OneCall.com as well as ac4l.com for open-box, refurbished speaker packages.
Newegg.com can also have some great deals on things like these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269038 (Fry's has had the same system in the Jamo brand for $129) and these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325104 and these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290066 Klipsch bought the holding company for Energy (and Athena, Mirageand Jamo) a couple of years ago.
From ac4l.com http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSMCS90B/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-Horizon-MCS90-5.1-8in-100w-Sub-Speaker-System-Black/1.html

Matthew23

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Amedeo
Wow, thanks for that detailed response. I have heard a lot of good things about the energy 5.0 system. Can't find them for $199.99 but Amazon does have them new for $268. Is the extra $68 worth it? I already have the two klipsch bookshelf speakers that would match the rest of the current system soon to ship but if the energys are worth it, I would not mind paying up a but for the upgrade. Plus I have Amazon prime so fast shipping and no tax as well. Any further advice?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Klipsch, Energy, Boston, DefTech, Polk...At that price range they're all pretty good. Polk and especially Klipsch are pretty bright sounding (which I like for movies/tv), the Energy's much less so. Boston and Definitive kind of in the middle (best for music). You can drive yourself nuts picking one over the other. Since you already have the Klipsch bookshelves and haven't complained about their sound then I'd say just go in that direction and don't second-guess yourself. Depending on the size of the room and the volume you listen at a better sub can really make a big difference.

Matthew23

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Amedeo
I think you are right. Thanks for the useful advice! I appreciate it and can't wait to set the new ones up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks