1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Urgent - Need Opinions on Dell DLP Projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott Dautel, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Well-Known Member

This deal can't last long...
    [​IMG]
    Dell is offering their 2100MP DLP Projector for $900*.
    * Price requires 10% off coupon code: 4491A592C8BB
    This looks like the deal that may push me over. Specs are:
    • 1 chip DLP DDR Technology
    • Motion-adaptive hardware de-interlacing with 3:2 pulldown
    • F/2.4, f=22.4 fixed focal lens
    • SVGA (800x600 pixels)
    • 1800:1 contrast ratio
    • s-video, component input
    • digital keystone correction
    I've tried DLP at home (loaner unit) and was thrilled with the image ... Rainbow effect does NOT bother me. The unit I tried was XGA, but I reason that 800x600 pixels is fine for prog scan dvd, which is 480 viewable lines. I presume it will project the DVD image from a prog scan player with no upconversion, right?

Any other things I need to be concerned about?

Scott

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Well-Known Member

What was the color wheel speed of the loaner you had? If it is 2x, then the Dell should be alright rainbow-wise (provided everything else is equal).

You may also wish to search www.avsforum.com , I recall a thread or two on the Dell 2100MP in the Under $5000 Digital Projector forum.

3. IanSC

IanSC New Member

I bought a 2100mp during the last sale which was 850 plus tax, and I am very impressed so far (it is my first projector). I haven't hooked up a progressive source yet, still trying to build an HTPC, but through composite and s-video the picture is quite nice at about 80" diagnal 4:3.

I've heard on AVS that an 800x600 projector would display DVD's at 800x450, so while there is no upconversion, you do lose 30 lines of resolution. Personally, I think DVD's look great on this pj (even non-progressive) and it could only get better with a prog-scan source.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Well-Known Member

Alternately, you could "zoom" (aka increase overscan) to a DVD image and crop the excess lines if you only have 800x450.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Well-Known Member

I did it based on comments from this thread. Will post a detailed review after setup. The only drawback is that this Proj apparently does NOT have zoom. So image size is dictated by throw distance. For this reason, I also bought the Dell ceiling mount.

Scott