What's new

ur favorite Albums that last the test of time, and why (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

"Remade his persona" and "made his place in history" (your original phrase) are very different propositions. I agree with the former, and not the latter, with respect to Graceland.

When I said his position in music history was already established, I was referring to Simon and Garfunkel of course, and not his solo stuff. I would hestitate to refer to the duo, however, as Simon's "collaboration with Garfunkel" (although, he might think of it that way himself, judging by his comments over the years). :D

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
P.J. HARVEY Rid Of Me

Her best album in my opionion

This cd has such fierce intensity that it gives me chills just thinking about it. From the opening notes of Rid Of Me to the closing of Ecstasy you are pulled in, chewed up & spit out.

Also, some of the best cover art for a album as well.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Well, being just a young buck my music hasn't had as much time to stand up to, but here you go with a few:

Pearl Jam - Ten
Live - Throwing Copper
Soundgarden - SuperUnknown
Bush - Sixteen Stone
Aerosmith - yeah, Aerosmith... all of it.
Green Day - Dookie
Offspring - Smash
Metallica - Black Album

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Angelo:

OK :) I should have rephrased it to say something more about "remade" the way people will look at his work & him as an individual artist. :)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Chris:

No worries, and I agree that it did "remake" him. :D

Always good to find another fan. I'm spinning the new remaster of "Hearts and Bones" right now. Love this record.

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Angelo, I would I guess agree with your statement in regards to an artist such as Chuck Berry, heck I can think of some others too if it were not for a "Best of Album" people would never have heard their music, Robert Johnson & Son House come to mind, what I really was thinking was that any artist after 1965 or so when albums really exploded into the mainstream marketplace. The best of the Rolling Stones for example I would think more in terms of "Exile on Main St." And Ted this is not meant to be negative in what you posted but a couple of cds you put in your list are perfect examples of what I meant.

Best of The Counting Crows/come on they only did 4 studio cds and I'm sure this was put out to fulfill a commitment to the label.
Best of Morcheeba/this to is a group that only have about 5 cds and although I like them again it is an example of what I think isn't time tested

These are just my opinion and not meant to be hurtful in anyway. You also list Best Of Van Morrison and I am a very big fan of Van the Man and think a album such as "Astral Weeks" or "Moondance" show a true time tested album from him.

I also realize in my initial post I listed 2 Live albums and I know that these types of albums could be argued against as not what the artist wanted to represent them, but the 2 I choose I felt differently about. Who really knew the Allman Brothers before "Live at the Fillmore" came out and "Babylon By Bus" is the very first album by Bob Marley I ever heard, bought and rebought.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Tom:

We're on the same page. Robert Johnson was one of my examples as well.

It also applies outside of rock and its various branches: Enrico Caruso is a good example.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
no offense taken tom. :)

i was thinking about this. what was the point of the post? to list a band's "important" albums, or to list cd's that i listen to over and over?

i guess if it was the former, then best of's wouldn't count and i misread the thread...which would be no surprise. :b

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm... ok I'll play along....

In alphabetical order, my favorites from a few different artists:

1.) AC/DC "Back In Black"

I know some people prefer the original singer Bon Scott but this album is AC/DC's best in my opinion by far. Every song rocks.

2.) Aerosmith "Toys In The Attic"

You can keep the "new" Aerosmith, I mean they are ok, have a few good songs, but nothing compares to "Toys In The Attic" for me.

3.) Black Sabbath "Paranoid"

Any of Black Sabbath's first 6 albums are outstanding but if I could only listen to one it would be "Paranoid", followed closely by "Master Of Reality".

4.) Boston "Boston"

Boston's first album doesn't have a bad song on it in my opinion. Enough said.

5.) Fleetwood Mac "Rumours"

What can I say about one of the best selling albums of all time that hasn't already be said? I guarantee just about everyone has heard a song from this album at some time in their life.

6.) Foreigner "Foreigner"

Like Boston's first album, not a bad song in the bunch.

7.) Judas Priest "British Steel"

The first album I ever heard from the Priest and still my favorite.

8.) Kiss "Alive"

No Kiss album gets more play in my house then this one. My first Kiss album, and still a favorite. If I had to pick a Kiss studio album then I would go with "Destroyer".

9.) Led Zeppelin "Led Zeppelin 4"

After 30 years I too am a little tired of "Stairway To Heaven" :D but this album is still one of the best of all time by any group.

10.) Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here"

Ok so "Dark Side Of The Moon" is probably the most popular Floyd album by far but "Wish You Were Here" is my favorite. I especially love "Have A Cigar", "Welcome To The Machine", and the title track.

11.) Queen "The Game"

"Another One Bites The Dust"! Overplayed, but still a great song, on a great album.

12.) Rolling Stones "Tattoo You"

I was a little late liking the Stones and this is the first album I bought. Still my favorite.

13.) Rush "Moving Pictures"

Greatest Rush album ever. Great bass in "YYZ", "Limelight".

14.) Van Halen "Van Halen"

Sorry, I don't like the Hagar stuff at all. To me Van Halen was no longer Van Halen when Diamond Dave left. And no Van Halen album gets played more in my house then the first one.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I have to add

Fleetwood Mac: Rumors
Dirty Vegas: self titled
Luxt: American Beast (local band)
Neil Diamond: Jazz Singer
Rush: Moving Pictures
Iron Maiden: Powerslave, Number of Beast

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks