What's new

UPS only for minor outages (1 Viewer)

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I've read a lot of threads on UPS's, but none seem to address my simple need: We seem to get a 10-second power outage every week or so. This throws off my Harmony remote as some devices have powered down that it thinks are on. This drives my wife crazy as she can't/won't understand how to get everything going again.

So, I'm thinking of connecting my HT to a UPS just to ride out 10-second or smaller outages. Will a cheap computer-style UPS compromise my HT performance during normal situations when normal power is available?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Doubtful. The UPS will only kick in when it senses an outage. During other times, it'll just act as a pass through device.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
No reason it won't work. I've got most (Not the TV, too much power drain) of my AV stuff on an inexpensive UPS to keep it from seeing those short outages we seem to get frequently as well. Works great.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
the only area where it might complain are when you're turning things from "standby" to "on."

My Yamaha DSP-A1, for example, one in three, will make nearby UPSs go into protect mode when the amp is fired up. One in ten, the UPS'll actually squeek.

If the amp were plugged into the UPS....? could be messy (but then our power is so-so to begin with.. outages are relatively rare, but the local grid is so badly overloaded that anything'll make the whole neighborhood twitch.)

But in short, the UPS shouldn't hurt anything... and it might help any lamp-based displays, in that if they're on when one of your wandering glitches comes through, it won't bang the projector off.

Not that I'd want to try and run a projector off of a UPS for more than about 10 seconds, anyway!

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks