1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

UPS has trademarked the color brown...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Artur Meinild, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Well-Known Member

I saw this on another forum and thought it was a joke, but no... Browsing the UPS website, you can find this under their trademarks:

COLOR BROWN (clothing)®
    COLOR BROWN (vehicles)®

LOL [​IMG] This is hilarious... Maybe I will trademark pink sunglasses, just for shits and giggles...
    As suggested on the other forum, somebody ought to trademark the trademark symbol, hehehe! [​IMG]

2. Scott L

Scott L Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad they didn't trademark it for skin, otherwise I'd have to pull a Michael Jackson.

And no I don't mean his love for the kiddies. :p)

3. John Stone

John Stone Well-Known Member

They should trademark late deliveries and poor service while they are at it... [​IMG]

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Well-Known Member

Rich Travale
    So I guess we're cool here in Canada and over in England since we use the COLOUR Brown. [​IMG]

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Well-Known Member

wheh!! for a minute there i thought i was gonna have to pay royalties every time i took a dump.

kevin t

6. John Spencer

John Spencer Well-Known Member

Federal Express has trademarks on their shades of purple and orange. John Deere has trademarks on their shades of green and yellow. The University of Tennessee has a trademark on their disgusting shade of hunter-safety orange. It's not as uncommon in the U.S. as it would seem.

And don't forget that Harley Davidson has the trademark on the rumbling growl their motorcycles make.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Well-Known Member

Joseph DeMartino
    A trademark only affects certain uses of a particular item. UPS, has established the color brown as part of its identity over a long period of time. Recently it has begun making "brown" a synonym for the company itself ("What can Brown [UPS] do for you?") So it would have reason to be concerned about small independent companies painting their trucks brown and putting their personnel in brown uniforms in the hope of confusing the public. It isn't like the trademark applies outside of the area of advertising and competing in the shipping businesses, so, No, UPS has not actually trademarked "Brown" anymore than Trump tried to trademark the phrase, "You're fired!" or Wal-Mart trademarked all uses of the word "Always!"

Regards,

Joe

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Well-Known Member

Rykodisc has a trademark on their green jewel cases.

9. David Williams

David Williams Well-Known Member

And Mattel has a trademark on the color 'Barbie Pink'.

10. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Well-Known Member

"Kelly green" was a trademark of the French fashion house Hermes. Named in honor of Grace Kelly.

What UPS did was proper since they are trying to protect the term "Brown" in association with its business as a delivery company. Not as silly as when Lucas Ltd supposedly tried to trademark the term "Nazi" for their line of video games. Of course some these trademarks lead to interesting lawsuits such as Fox V Franken over the use of "Fair and Balanced".

You can search trademark info at www.uspto.gov. Tells you who applied for it and its use.

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

The color of the Green Monster in Fenway park is trademarked. You can't buy that colored paint anywhere.

12. Don Black

Don Black Well-Known Member

Is it a registered TM though? Anyone can put TM next to anything and claim a TM. Which is completely valid and legal. However, it doesn't become official until it's on file with the USPTO.

13. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Well-Known Member

Not yet. The petition is pending from what I saw on the USPTO site. I noticed another trucking firm called "Brown" (possibly a family name) so UPS may have to grease a few palms.

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Kevin T, I was going to post the exact same sentiments but you beat me to it.

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

Will Brown University now be named UPS University?