What's new

Upgrading to 7.1 / HDMI Receiver (1 Viewer)

geekparrot

Auditioning
Real Name
GeekParrot
Hi all!

Brand new to the forum!

I currently have a 5.1 Onkyo system that's about 10 years old, so I am looking to upgrade to something a little newer. My current setup:

[*]42" Samsung HDTV
[*]Onkyo 5.1 Receiver (generic 5.1 receiver)
[*]Klipsch center, main and surround speaker
[*]PS3
[*]Roku
[*]Cable Box
[*]Klipsch subwoofer
[/list]
I like the sound of the speakers and all my products in the setup, but I am looking to run all HDMI cables to the receiver, out to the HDTV. My current receiver has no HDMI input/outputs, and I am looking to somewhat future-proof the setup a bit. So my requirements for a new receiver....

[*]HDMI ports (I assume I need one with passthrough - do I need 4k enabled passthrough?)
[*]Optical and coaxial audo inputs
[*]7.1 channels (if possible, and worth it)
[/list]
My budget is a bit modest, however. I am trying to keep it under or around $400-$500 total for the receiver. Any and all ideas are appreciated and welcome!

Thanks in advance for any help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
$500 is an easy fit. I think even Denon has a $500 7.1.How many dig coax/toslink do you need? Anymore, you get one of each at $500-ish. All HDMI 1.4 AVR do 4k passthrough.(the "feature" is 4k scaling)Passthrough(which is not a feature) is not the same as scaling.

geekparrot

Auditioning
Real Name
GeekParrot
Actually, now that I think about it, I don't need mane digital coax / optical audio connections, since most of my connections are now going to be HDMI.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
We usually recommend a factory refurbished receiver or last years model on closeout in the $400-$500 range. Ac4l.com is an authorized dealer for Marantz, Denon, Onkyo and now Yamaha. A third party extended warranty is only $35 for 3 years and $50 for 5 years on receivers less then $500. I'd look for a $350-$400 model (some come with free shipping) and get the extended warranty.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/2.html

If you want to buy new then consider Newegg.com. They always seem to have very good prices. Avoid brands like Pyle and Sherwood.

http://www.newegg.com/Receivers/SubCategory/ID-488/Page-2?Order=PRICE

After you have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 receivers go to their respective websites and download the owners manuals and/or product/spec sheets. I think Marantz receivers are the easiest to setup and use on a regular basis and they also have very good remote controls but they seem to be $75-$100 more then comparable Denon pioneer and Onkyo models.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I would say go with Gene C. Idea.. I had bought a Marantz Reciever there years ago and it has performed Flawlessly I still have it in my HT setup and I don't see any need currently to upgrade it..

I have a Samsung Blu Ray and Denon DVD-A/SACD and Xbox hooked into it.. the benefit goimg to Ac4less is you can get a more expensive receiver cheaper then it costs new and it is in as good condition. Plus they are an Authorized dealer as said for many brands....

geekparrot

Auditioning
Real Name
GeekParrot
Just wanted to follow up and again say thanks for the helpful posts! I went with a Yamaha RX-V575. Great reviews and met all my needs for about $400.

I appreciate the quick help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks