What's new

Upgrading Home Theater to HD 1080p (1 Viewer)

ecelis

Auditioning
Real Name
Esteban Celis
I would appreciate suggestions for getting a new DVD (Blue-ray) player, preferably with Netflix connectivity and a projector for ceiling mounting. My room can be darken quite well and is solely used as a home theater. I expect to spend up to a couple hundred $ on the DVD player and up to 2K (hopefully less) on the projector. Not sure whether its worth to go into a 3D setup at this time (comments?). I have considered a Sony DVD player and perhaps an Epson projector such as the Cinema 5010 or 3010. Main interest is watching movies, not sports or video games. Thanks for any advise on equipment based on performance and durability.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Can't help on the projector. I would heartily recommend against getting a DVD player. Blu-ray players are plenty affordable. Panasonic and Sony seem to have the best reputation among affordable players (in terms of quality and support for new firmware updates). Samsung seems to have a poor reputation for releasing firmware updates. For what it's worth, I've had a Panasonic BD player for 3 years with no issues. If I were to buy a new player, I'd probably buy another Panny.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I highly recommend the Panasonic Blu-ray players also. The Pan. 110 is about $110 and is also 3D, so you're set for the future also. There's numerous choices for projectors, it really depends on features needed, DLP or LCD, shelf mount or ceiling mount, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks