What's new

Upgrading from Panasonic RP56 (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I currently have a Panasonic RP56 DVD player and have been hit w/ the upgrade bug (possibly for no reason). I doubt i'll be moving up in picture quality in the price range i'm looking at. I would like another faroujda based player, and i'm looking at the following (all panasonic):

CP72 (new or used)
RP82 (used)
RP91 (used)

I would like the RP91 because my Panasonic RPTV locks in full mode on progressive sources. I would also like DVD-A even though it'll be awhile before i use it. What differences are there in the RP82 and CP72, other than the CP72 being a 5-disc changer? If I can get $75 - $100 out of my RP56 and pick up an RP91 for $250 used, would I be doing good?

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Stephen, You can get a NEW Champagne colored, Panasonic RP-91 at OneCall.com for a little over what you want to spend. They have them on clearance, I'd snatch one up quick if you really want a SUPERIOR DVD player. They're offering it for less than 1/2 of retail. I have a BLACK model and it is everything you'll expect and more.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I found the RP91 for $289 w/ free shipping from www.newegg.com and i'm really considering it. I can't even find the RP82 for that price. I just ordered it so i guess now I just need to sell my RP56 :)

greg_t

Screenwriter
You'll love the 91. It is a great player and the non-anamaphoric scaling is great.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
I would like another faroujda based player,
WARNING: the RP-91 does NOT have the Faroujda chip. Unless you need scaling, you might be better off with either a XP30 or XP 50 for around $200.

I had a RP56 and a RP91 and I finally ended up with a RP82.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Scailing is important since my TV locks all progressive inputs to full (stretched) mode. I was a good amount of 4:3 DVDs such as seasons of TV shows, and the only way to watch them w/out the stretch is to turn the progressive output off on my DVD player.

Initially I mentioned wanting a Faroujda based player because I thought Faroujda players didn't exhibit the Chroma bug. Since I have learned that the Chroma bug is due to the MPEG Decoder, not the Deinterlacer and all Panasonic players are Chroma Bug free.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I have both a 91 and an XP30 with the DCDI chip. On everyday viewing, I see virtually no difference between them on my Pioneer Elite 530 rptv. On some material, the XP30's chip will do a better job. As an overall player, the 91 beats it. It has better build quality, better remote, scaling, dvd-audio, and a coaxil out. There are also many more user adjustable settings that the XP30 doesn't have. Also, the xp30, xp50, RP82, and RP91 all use the same MPEG decoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks