What's new

Upgrade to Paradigm Monitors or add Amp? (1 Viewer)

wes18

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I have a little bonus money coming my way, am coming near the end of the speaker upgrade period, and am wondering what to tweek. Current setup is Paradigm

Monitor 7v3
CC 370
Stylus 100 (surrounds)
PS 1000

Yamaha RXV1200

Thinking of the following 2 options:
- Switch Stylus for ADPs and add an amp such as the Outlaw

- Trade up all speakers for Studio 100s, Studio ADPs, and 470 or 570. Keep the Yammie. Add a sub later (SVS?)

I believe that I will eventually go separates in the near future.

Relatively new to home theater but it gets addictive. Can definitely use some advice/commentary.

Thanks

wes18

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Considering its my "first", I would not know. This is my first system but am happy with it.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
As a general rule you will get a more immediate difference by purchasing new speakers. The only problem I see is that the 1200 might not give you enough power for the Studio 100s. I, personally, would consider upgrading your sub, first.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Speakers first. Then sub. Then amps and such, all IMO of course. But audition the studios carefully, along with other similar speakers. Don't just automatically jump there.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
what is it you don't like about the 7's? what do you feel is the weakest part of your system? i am with marty, and say you should upgrade your sub first if you are more into home theater. However if you listen to music more than movies than upgrade your speakers...

wes18

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the responses. Currently using system for HT use but that is primarily TV. HD is making its way and watched the SuperBowl and it was awesome.

Ranking of use

- TV
- Music (CD)
- Movies (DVD)

Its not that I don't like the Monitor's. It just seems like speakers can last a long while and I'd rather make the investment now, considering the 100% trade-in credit, then figure out in a year that I really want to upgrade and not have that option.

GregBe

Second Unit
Mark,

I think your thought process is a good one. Good speakers will last you a lot longer than anything else in your home theater chain. If you still have a full credit to upgrade, and the money to blow, use it while you can. It is better than starting from scratch in a few years. I agree with Chris though. Go listen. Don't assume you will like the Studios better.
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks