What's new

Upgrade to IB? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
I currently have an EBS Tempest driven by 250 watt amp.

I am wondering if I build a small Infinite Baffle with two Tempests and the same 250 watt amp, will I gain much? I like punchy bass more suited to music, but also like to rattle the house when watching a DVD. I don't think "IB" and "punchy" really go together.

This might not be the solution for me, but doesn't hurt to ask.

I want to upgrade my sub status in the near future but am at a loss as to what to do with a $300 budget to do it.

1. Buy another Tempest and build a small IB.
2. Buy another Tempest and build another EBS and run it with an old receiver for now.
3. Add another Tempest to my current EBS box?
4. Buy a BFD and create a curve I like.
5. Build a smaller enclosure or two separate smaller enclosures and put them both in the corner.

Any other ideas?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Whatever you do I recommend you get a BFD. The influence of room acoustics is typically underestimated. My solution to the quandary you face now was to add a Shiva Sonotube. I now have a Tempest box for music and turn on both for movies. Along with the BFD it worked out great.

PaulDF

Second Unit
When I said "small" IB, I was thinking two Tempests and 250 or so watts. The space I have available is an under the stairs closet with approximately 150-180 ft^3.
Its location is not the greatest as it is to the left of my listening position. I put my EBS there and measured the room response, and it is actually the flattest I've measured so far! within 10 db with a small dip at 35hz. Though I don't know if I liked the way it sounded over there..

As I said, I'm just weighing my options so far. And yes, I am thinking a BFD will definitely help. Perhaps I should go that route for now.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I think an IB would work great in that space. Leave a coil open on each for max "punch" and a wire the two others in parallel for a 4-ohm load. Likely the best bass you'll hear.

PaulDF

Second Unit
OK, I went out and picked up a BFD today. Made the trek to the nearest city and bought one.

I've got it hooked up now and have played with it a bit, trying to become familiar with it. Seems complicated, but pretty interesting. I'll have to find that BFD info site again and re-read it, I'm sure that it'll make more sense to me now that I've played with one a bit. I'm sure I'll need more advice soon enough!

Jack, I kind of jumped the gun and spent my alotment(as I have little patience in these matters), but I didn't honestly think the IB would work out in my situation. You seem to think it will work well for me, hmm. Given the small amount of info you have about my IB idea, how much of an improvement do you think this might be over the EBS I have now? How much more SPL?

Are BFDs as useful even with infinite baffles?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Punchy and IB aren't mutually exclusive, but it takes more displacement to achieve it with an IB.

If you have limited mounting space for the drivers themselves then consider units with higher displacement than the Tempests. Also look into using a manifold array for putting several drivers in a relatively compact space

BTW, I use parametric EQ with both my IB's

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
"I like punchy bass more suited to music, but also like to rattle the house when watching a DVD. "

I'm surprised no one mentioned a smaller vented or sealed box? I don't think the EBS alignement is best suited to your taste as it trades-off both max-SPL and quickness for low frequency extension.

I realise that many people will say that it won't rattle the house for DVD's, but at 25Hz to 30Hz it will still vibrate the house... :)

this might be a good trade-off for you.

Rob B.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Hey, I got +/-7db on the first try!! This ain't so hard!:D

Yes Rob, I had thought the same thing. But I figured a BFD was gonna end up in my house sooner or later so I thought I'd get it now, and see the results. If I still want to build a smaller box (or two) down the road I can. Just trying to salvage my big old EBS since I put so much effort into it and it looks pretty nice too.

PaulDF

Second Unit
And muck I shall do.

Thanks for the info Jack. I'll keep this project in mind.

For now I can keep busy toying with my BFD. I am getting along pretty well with it so far, but have some simple questions..

I am supposed to set the input level first, and leave it alone after that right? I can only get the bottom half of the led indicators to light up when cranking it pretty loud, is that okay? What happens if I vary the receiver sub-out level(-2 for movies +8 for music)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks