What's new

Upgrade Time! (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, the ol' 55513 kicked the bucket -- didn't even last 4 years. :angry: (The main circuit board is fried -- over $1100 to get it fixed.) I haven't been paying much attention to the TV market for the past few years, but it's time to jump back in with both feet!

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • Under $2000 (street)
  • 55" or larger
  • 1080p
  • Not front projection (the room just isn't dark enough)
  • Good daytime viewing (i.e., a low-glare screen)
  • Built-in OTA HD tuner (for use with a regular set-top antenna)
  • Side-by-side PIP
  • A good 4:3 stretch mode that doesn't cut off the closed captions
  • Low sensitivity to burn-in (we use captions and play some video games)
  • Multiple HDMI inputs
  • A front-panel SD slot for photo viewing
  • RELIABLE!!!
  • Preferably something that won't require an expensive bulb replacement in a couple of years (although LCDs in my size range don't appear to be in my price range :frowning: )

Also, I'd like to get a decent surge suppressor or line conditioner in order to avoid future burnouts (I have a decent surge box, but the repair guy thought that maybe a number of very small surges over a long period of time that didn't trip the breaker but weakened components in the TV may be to blame -- will a line conditioner help with that problem?). Preferably something not too expensive.

Any recommendations? I see a few intriguing Samsungs at Costco, but don't know much about them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For your budget range, you are probably in going to have to settle for LCoS RPTV (either Sony or JVC), or DLP RPTV (Mitsubishi, Samsung). But they all have bulbs to worry about. The DLP LED models don't have the bulb replacement issue, but you'd have to see for yourself if you like the picture quality (if it's bright enough for your room).

I'm not sure how many of those models have side-by-side PIP or SD card reader slots.

Ain't no way you'll get a 1080p LCD (Samsung, Sony) or plasma (Panasonic, Pioneer) set for $2000 that's over 55" (or even 52", might have to "settle" for the 46" if you go LCD).

If you up your budget to $2700, you can get a 50" 1080p plasma with anti-glare screen (Panasonic TH50PZ700U) that has just about everything you want except it's smaller than 55" and you'll have to baby it for its first 100 hours, but that's an extra $700 over your budget, but that's the market currently.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
PIP is disappearing from affordable HDTVs due to the high cost of installing 2 digital tuners. Card readers are also disappearing as price pressure has forced mfgs. to leave off little-used features. Bulb replacement will be more like every 3 to 5 years, it's user replaceable and costs 150-250.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I like side-by-side "PIP", but my plasma (now a steal at about $1600 for the Panasonic TH-50px600u, though it's a 720p model getting clearanced nowadays) didn't have dual tuners, just 1 ATSC tuner, so I can watch TV in HD on one side, and play video game on the other side. The only inputs I can't do PIP are the HDMI inputs.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks guys. . .actually, when it comes to PIP, two NTSC tuners are what I want -- for when there's a ballgame on the same time as one of Lucy's shows. ;) We'll see what I can find. (Non-projection LCD appears to be out at this point due to price.)

Had an interesting visit to Best Buy tonight. . .they had a Mits WD65732 open-box marked way down to $2125. A little more than I want to spend (especially when you tack on a stand and a $350 4-year service plan), but with one of their 0% interest financing deals it may well be doable.

They also had an excellent sale on the JVC HD56FN97 -- Only $1600, stand included.

Any opinions on those sets?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Aaron:

As the owner of a Mits RPTV I cannot recommend them as they have serious bulb issues. I have had to replace mine 3 times and my set is only 4 years old. I am seriously looking at the Samsung with the LED bulb in it that also removes the color wheel.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Don't get too caught up with must having dual-NTSC tuners, it's just as easy to get the side-by-side PIP by using a VCR as the 2nd NTSC tuner (or cheap standalone ATSC tuner) and juggle the PIP inputs (composite/s-video for the VCR or component for the ATSC tuner) in that fashion. The important thing is to get a model that offers side-by-side PIP functionality (even if it only has one NTSC/ATSC tuner.)

One of the main things I don't like about any of the RPTV (LCos or DLP) is the SSE (Silk Screen Effect) I see in bright/hot spots on the screen (you get sparklies in those area and it totally destroys the visual illusion on the screen for me).

The DLP LED sets might be better with less visible SSE, but the proof is in the pudding and seeing is believing.

If you do watch a lot of 4x3 material (old TV shows on DVD, etc), you'll probably notice some geometry issues (imperfect rectangular shape) with the LCos sets.

Also, the viewing angles for RPTVs are still not so hot (which becomes a greater benefit for LCD and plasma flatscreens as they look better off-axis).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've been warned away from the LED-based sets -- apparently the PQ isn't there yet with them.

Packy, what is it with Mitsubishis? My board and your bulbs. Geez. Beautiful picture though.

If only the ($)*@#(*@& thing had held out until after the holidays, I bet there would have been some great deals on flat LCD sets. :frowning:

I'm going to hit Costco on my lunch break and see what's cookin'. The offerings on their website are pretty sparse.

Any thoughts on the Sonys? BB also has a good deal on the KDS55A2020 ($1800 IIRC).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But VCRs are dirt cheap nowadays. (I mainly use my VCR as a clock in my living room, too. It's a clock that also tunes TV channels, yeah, that's the ticket...).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Does anyone know what the differences between the Samsung HLTxx56W and HLTxx76S series are?

Costco has some nice deals on 56W sets:

Online, the HLT6156W w/ stand for $2100 delivered.

In-store, the HLT6756W w/stand for $2400.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Anyone have experience with the Toshiba xxHM167 series? The 65" can be had for a very nice price at Sears (the difference between it and the Sammy 67" from Costco is approximately a PS3 ;) ). Gregg's got me leaning away from LCoS/ LCD, which points me away from Sony or JVC.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just bear in mind that Toshiba has pulled out of the RPTV game, so whatever stock is left is getting moved on out of stores. Toshiba is concentrating their efforts on the flatpanels now.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
ah...i didnt know that.
Im sure everybody else will be doing the same within a couple of years.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
At this point I'm really leaning towards the Toshiba. It's a heck of a lot of TV for the money.

Any comments on extended warranties? Is a 5 year plan worth $600? What about a 3 year plan for $400? (Those are Sears' prices -- I need to double check whether they include bulb replacement.) I'm nervous after the 3.5 year lifespan of my old set, but that's a big chunk of change.

Best Buy has a higher price on the set but a lower price on the warranty ($350 for 4 years; also unclear re: bulb coverage) -- it mostly evens out.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Gregg or Aaron, what are the issues with LCoS that are "leaning" you away?? I'm looking at upgrading myself, and the 60" Sony SXRD is the top candidate right now. My room is big, and I'm replacing a 57" set - obviously don't want to go smaller. FP is out as I have light control issues and a VERY high peaked ceiling.

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
the sears warrenty DOES cover bulb changes. Its fully refundable in the first year and includes a annual check up. just get it and cancel after 120 days if you dont want it, this will help your sales guy out with a couple bucks..haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks