What's new

Upgrade sound system on my TV + Blu ray setup. (1 Viewer)

Nevakonaza

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane Johnson
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone here can give me some advice about Amplifiers/Receivers and speaker setups. Basically im wanting to upgrade the sound system on my TV & Blu Ray setup but i know nothing about this type of stuff,Its the connectors thats confusing me,do i need HDMI...Or those round connectors like in my Avatar? As far as im aware i need to buy a Receiver (would have to buy used) and some speakers + Sub? Id like it to be 2.1,Not wanting 5.1 due to space. Can anyone point me in the right direction and advise me what i would be needing?...don't really want to be spending over £100. My TV Setup....
Code:
 LG 32LV355T 32-inch Toshiba BDX2100 Blu-Ray Player
Appreciate the help. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Shane!

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds as if you want something very basic, and

it shouldn't be difficult to find a very inexpensive receiver

to fit your needs, even if you are only going to use it for

2.0 audio. At least, buying a receiver with 5.1 capability

gives you something to eventually move into.

Doesn't seem to be a huge difference between 2-channel

recievers and 5.1. For example, only a $60 difference on

Amazon U.S. between a 2-channel Sherwood RX-4105 and

a Pioneer VSX-521-K 5.1 system. If you want to use a

subwoofer I would *think* you need the 5.1 system.

The connection you want is HDMI. That one cable is

capable of carrying both your video and audio signal

from the Blu-ray player output to the receiver input. It's

hard for me to translate the currency, but you shouldn't

be paying much for HDMI cable. Buy the cheap Amazon

brand and you'll be fine.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I didn't reply sooner because I didn't have time to look up the TV, but yes, it supports HDMI, so that's the way to go. The problem you're going to have is the budget. It's going to be hard, if not impossible, to get a decent receiver and spreakers for £100. Even used, unless you get lucky with a friend or something like that. Anything at that price will be pretty low quality, so much so that even though it pains me, you may want to just go with a soundbar for now. You can get an entry level sound bar and sub for about £100 (in the US using conversion rates; I didn't look at UK products). If you go to £150 you would get something decent (for a soundbar).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know, that's something I did not consider

and excellent advice.

A soundbar. Perfect for 2.0 audio and most have

an output for an additional subwoofer.

Nevakonaza

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane Johnson
Sorry for my late reply guys been busy,Well i realised that if i wanted something much better than the TV speakers and better that a soundbar i would have to cough up more cash,And came acrosss a deal on a brand new... Yamaha YHT196 5.1 AV Receiver and Speaker System So thats me sorted,Thanks for your replies much appreciated!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Shane,

Excellent. Best wishes on your new system.

Come back and give us a review and then join us in the

HD software area to talk about the films you have been

watching.

Nevakonaza

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane Johnson
Cheers for the best wishes. :) Picked it up this afternoon,wont be able to try it out until tomorrow as ive got to go to work soon but will defiantly leave some feedback on the setup. regards Shane

Nevakonaza

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane Johnson
Arghh problems! Right i have connected it all up following the manual 1)Turned off the TVs own speakers in the settings of my TV 2)connected HDMI1 from TV to HDMI OUT on the AV unit. (as instructed by manual) Selected input on the AV unit settings to HDMI1 but im not getting any audio,ive tried all diffrent HDMI ports and still no audio. If i select Radio on my AV unit music plays out of all the speaker fine so i have connected the speakers up right,Its as if my TV isnt sending out any audio sig to the AV unit. Is it because i have no Optical cable connected from my TV to the AV?....I thought this is what the HDMI was for though. EDIT-When playing a blu ray movie i get audio,Its just when playing standard TV channels i get no audio? Appreciate your help guys im all confused. :D

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
From the manual I got on-line, it appears that your TV does not support the HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC). If you think it does (LG may have given me the wrong manual), make sure you follow the directions to turn the ARC on. If I do have the correct manual, then you cave to use either a digital optical cable, or a digital coax cable from the the TV to the receiver. It doesn't matter which one you use, they both provide the same quality (the coax is cheaper). If you try and use an old RCA connector type cable that's just lying around, do not use an audio (red or white) connector. They don't carry enough bandwidth. It's okay to use a composite (yellow) connector. A true digital coax will be orange. The LG manual says to use channel4, so you can switch back and forth using the Scene selector.

Nevakonaza

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane Johnson
Hi ,Al.Anderson thank you for your time. I think your right in saying my TV does not support ARC,as i dont see any mention of this on the back of the TV or in the TV manual. I have purchased a digital optical cable (with gold plated pins) online,so hopefully shoud be with me in the next couple of days and hopefully that will fix the problem. :) Shane. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks