What's new

upgrade question (1 Viewer)

Jim Ed

Agent
I have got the wives approval to spend some cash... I am currently running an older Sony STR-DE945 with NSP1 JBL's and a PB12. I am trying to decide most bang for the buck... I have looked at Seprates and nice intergate amps. How much difference are entry level seprates (ie Outlaw 750 / Amp) and a nice mid level intergrate piece (ie Marzantz 7200 Denon 3803 etc etc). I have a hard budget of 2500 american....

Thanks

Jim Ed

Agent
arrrrggggg 24 hours of research later...

here is what I am thinking of building next week....

Marantz 7300
Marantz Mono Block Amps x3 for the Front Sound Stage
SVS Sub
S36 JBL's for the front
S-Center for the center
S26 for the rear surrounds

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
I wouldnt want to tell you what to buy, but imo the speakers make the biggest difference first(including the sub), after that would be the processor (be it a reciever used as a processor or a pre-pro)..I would definately buy your amps on the used market to save some cash for other areas.

Jim Ed

Agent
Could someone suggest some speakers and or places to listen to them in the DFW area? I was going with the JBL's based on all of the reviews on this site.

Jim Ed

Agent
Well after all of the marantz problem post, I am now having second doubts.... I am 99.9% sure I will be going to 3803 Denon and a Parasound 1205A. Any other suggestions?

thanks

JaleelK

Second Unit
Well after all of the marantz problem post, I am now having second doubts.... I am 99.9% sure I will be going to 3803 Denon and a Parasound 1205A. Any other suggestions?
I don't think you should waste your money on that amp, you're not going to need it unless you have some very power hungry speakers and a big room and looking at th where it would strain the 3803 to play it at reference level, but looking at those JBLS, I think the 3803 is way more than adequate to drive those speakers. Purchasing a separate amp with a receiver in most cases is overkill as you will get very little bang for your buck, I highly doubt you will get any sonic benefit from adding a separate amp in addition to the 3803.

gregD

Second Unit

I second that...

A good rule of thumb to follow is to spend about 1/3 on electronics and about 2/3 on speakers... with your particular budget, I'd strongly suggest a decent receiver rather than separates.

Why don't you visit a couple audio retailers and get a feel for how some of the various speaker systems sound first.

Here are a couple reviews of HT speaker systems in the $1500-2000 range:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V5CF25B24
http://makeashorterlink.com/?P41022C24
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R12052C24

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks