What's new

Upgrade now or wait for mandate? (1 Viewer)

LilBro

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Since the FCC rolled over for the industry and pushed back the DTV mandate to February, 2009, I'm in a bit of a quandary. I currently have a Kenwood HTB-505 connected to a Toshiba 32" tube and a Panasonic CV-51 DVD player, with DirecTV. (I bought the Kenwood and the Panny based on recommendations from this site.) Personally I don't see any need to get new gear for HDTV as DBS charges extra, local stations / networks have a potty selection of HDTV shows, and I have about 450 DVDs (and about 100 VHS). And by the time the mandate kicks in (assuming the FCC doesn't get bought off again) we may well be moving to new digs.
So, my question is should I upgrade now or wait until the mandate? I like the specs on DLP units, but it seems LCD and Plasma units are catching up. And our current family is only about 12 x 14 with a fireplace angled in the corner. I appreciate any coherent and cogent suggestions.
Thank you.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You gave no reason to upgrade. You don't watch local channels and you have DirecTV. DirecTV is not affected by the FCC mandate to go to digital. The FCC is only forcing local broadcasters to switch their over-the-air transmission methods.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks