What's new

Upgrade existing Speaker setup (1 Viewer)

ekurian

Auditioning
Real Name
Edwin
Current Setup: 5.1
TV: 36 CRT Sony
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2400 (no HDMI ports)
Front Speakers: Polk-RTi6
Center Speaker: Polk-CSi5
Subwoofer: Polk-PSW 505
Surround speakers: Polk-Fxi5

I plan to upgrade to
TV: 65 inch Panasonic Plasma (This will be placed on a stand)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3900
Front Speakers: I plan to upgrade this to Floor standing speakers and need suggestions (budget around $2000 for both)
Center Speaker: CSi5
Subwoofer: Polk PSW 505
Surround speakers: Polk-Fxi5. Maybe extend to 7.1

Should I spend some extra money and upgrade to 7.1 ?
Where should I put the Center speaker…On top of the TV attached to the wall, or below the TV ?
I was looking at the Polk LSi series Floor standing speakers. However they are 4 ohm, whereas the rest of the speakers are 8 ohm. Will it matter?

I appreciate your feedback.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by ekurian
I was looking at the Polk LSi series Floor standing speakers. However they are 4 ohm, whereas the rest of the speakers are 8 ohm. Will it matter?
Yes, it can. At that price point, you might consider this:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR3007-9-2-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B002M78EPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256132992&sr=1-1
Right now it's $1695. The Yamaha isn't setup for 4 ohm speakers
But, the Onkyo can handle 4 ohm speakers. You should stick with the Polk floor standing speakers, since they are a match with the others you have. If you get the LSi15 or LSi25, you'll need the LSiC center, so the front three will timbre match.

The Onkyo also has a better video processor than the Yamaha (HQV Reon-VX).
It also has the Audyssey MultEQ XT, which is very good.
The Yamaha has 4 HDMI inputs, and the Onkyo has 7 (6 rear, 1 front)

For the money, and for your purposes, I think the Onkyo will be a better buy.
A lot of people will tell you that you need an external amp, with any receiver, when running 4 ohm speakers. I run 4 ohm Polks, with my Onkyo 805, without any problems, because you can set it up for 4 ohm, during the initial setup.
Good luck with whatever you get!
Let us know how you like it, once setup..............

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What brand and model number is the receiver that you have?

First thing to do is go into the JVC's setup menu and select "Bitstream" as the audio output. Not PCM or LPCM.

xdodo79

Auditioning
Real Name
thor palma
Help!!!

I just got a 3D Blue Ray player connected to my 3D TV via a HDMI Cable.

The same BD Player is connected to my Harman Kardon AVR135 Receiver via 7 audio cables, using their respective 7:1 channels.

The problem now is that when an actor speaks on the screen, there is a slight delay with the words coming out of the speakers. By turning off the Home Theatre system, and just using the TV speakers, I got no problem at all.

As I am only a 'layman' user, can anyone suggest how I can tweak my HK receiver in order to have the sound be in sync with the video?

Thank you so much for all your assistance.

xdodo79

Hito77064

Auditioning
Real Name
Hito
Xdodo79,

Set up your delay on speakers (distance between your speakers and your seat) - Hope it works

HIto

koufax

Auditioning
Real Name
Huckelsberry
Do you have the tv and the receiver audio on at the same time? If so turn off the TV sound. Sometimes there is a delay between the two.

xdodo79

Auditioning
Real Name
thor palma
HIto and Ron,

I have turned down the TV volume, as it does create an echoing effect with the delay.

Similarly, I found the manual stating about the delay (OSD), but when I went to check it further, it seems that the delay cannot be altered if I am using the 7:1 cable connections.

Thank you so much for your advices.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks