1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

UPDATE: Denon DVD-2200 and Sony SCD-CE595/ SCD-C2000ES SACD and Redbook Comparison

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kage, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

A few days ago I posted a comparison on both the Denon DVD-2200 and SCD-CE595 here and I have an update on both machines and a comparison with the Sony SCD-C2000ES.

Sound Quality (SACD, Redbook)
    Sony SCD-CE595: SACD sound is very good, but it sounded thin and has a lack of detail. Redbook sound is good, but a little harsh.

Sony SCD-C2000ES: SACD sound is a little better than the SCD-CE595 in detail. It also sounded less thinner than the SCD-CE595. Redbook sound is about the same as the SCD-CE595.

Denon DVD-2200: Here I want wrong with my previous comparison, I setup the filter in the audio setup screen to on and change the speaker size to small a couple months ago and I did not changed it till today. The filter setting is set to off. Now the sound quality of SACD and redbook are a lot better than before. SACD sound is excellent, has more detail the the SCD-CE595 and SCD-C2000ES and it does not sound thin. Redbook sound is very good, better that the SCD-CE595 and SCD-C2000ES, it does not have the harsh sound as in the both Sonys.

Winner: Denon DVD-2200

Dislikes
    Sony SCD-CE595: Remote has no power button, no open/close button, and no number buttons. It takes about 20 seconds for the player to load the cd to the laser and start playing the cd within a couple of seconds. It takes about 15 seconds for the laser to go to a different layer on the SACD. Otherwords this player is slow at reading cds.

Sony SCD-C2000ES: Same reasons like the SCD-C595, but the remote has number buttons.

Denon DVD-2200: Remote does not have a layer switch button for SACD to switch from multichannel to 2 channel to cd and vice versa. I have to go up to machine press the no video button and no digital out button to have no interferance with video while playing a SACD. This is not really problem, but I don't like it.

Conclusion
    I am going to return both the SCD-CE595 and SCD-C2000ES and keep my Denon DVD-2200, because the DVD-2200 is superior to both the SCD-CE595 and SCD-C2000ES.

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Well at least you will be more content with your DVD-2200 now that you have compared to to some other players.

Myself I probably wont keep either player either just because there are a few other Sony's i'd like to hear, I really want to try something high up like a 777 , i've also ready that the NS999ES is pretty nice sounding as well. I wont be trying another Denon unless its a 5900 or 3910.

3. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Any idea how the SCD-2000ES compares to the SCD-C555es?

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

5. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

I've read the manual a couple of times, and still cant figure out what Filter does. It says that when you have the filter set to off that all speakers are set to large and the sub is on and set at +10dbs hot. The weird thing is that when I set the Filter on, and all my speakers to small, this is when I can actually hear my sub!

Am I doing something wrong, or could somebody explain to me how I should have this set up?

thanks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Brian L

Brian L Screenwriter

Many universal players have the sub channel level attenuated, most commonly about 10dB. This typically affects ALL media (DVD-A, SACD, DVD-V). Without that 10dB boost, you will have very little output from the sub.

Denon is one of the only vendors to acknowledge this, and provide compensation in some of their players, and many of their AVRs (which have a switchable boost for when you have a non-Denon uni-player).

This FAQ mentions the issue:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1800722

There have also been some reports of a newer Pioneer player (578) that requires a 15dB boost.

BGL