What's new

Upconverting DVD player on an old Toshiba HDX82? (1 Viewer)

ColinW

Agent
My display is an older Tosh 57HDX82. I am in the market for a new DVD recorder and I see the information for the upconverting models. Would these be useful for the quality of display on my set? I believe my set itself can display 1080i/720p, but not full 1080p.

Does the set itself upconvert my standard DVD signal from my old Tosh player to 1080/720 already? Would I see any improvement with an upconverting DVD player/recorder or would it be the exact same?

Thanks for any and all assistance and advice.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Your TV is a CRT design, so no, it does not scale content to its native resolution as fixed-pixel designs like flat-panel and microdisplays do. (Except that it will downconvert 1080i input to 720p, which is its maximum resolution according to the spec sheets I've seen.) So yeah, you should be a good candidate for an upconverting player. I have a microsdisplay that does as good or better a job at unconverting than my Sony DVD changer, so I'm afraid I can't offer any practical advice as to models or other pointers.

Regards,

Joe

ColinW

Agent
Thanks for the reply Joseph. I wasn't sure what the max resolution of the set was, so I looked around and found this as a feature of the set:

IDSC™ Pro coverts all 480i and 480p signals to 540p. Since 540p and 1080i share the same scan rate, a single focus point is established and focus compromise is eliminated. Frame, Line and Pixel doubling are all used to create progressive, full-frame images from standard interlaced signals. IDSC Pro passes through 1080i images without alteration, and now accepts 720p images and displays them as 1080i.

The full specs are here: http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...?model=57hdx82

From what I am seeing above, an upconverting player would pass through a full 720p or even 1080i signal and my Tosh should be able to display it right?

If that is true, I think an upconverting player would make a big difference in my theatre, and seems like a cheap way to get a much better picture.

Thanks again for your help, and for hopefully clarifiying what I found above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks