What's new

Upconverting copy protrected DVD's using component connections (1 Viewer)

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
I asked this question a long time ago and thought a solution may now be available. My good 'ol TW56x81 RPTV still soldiers on and I don't have budget for a new LCD panel but can convince the wife to fund a new DVD player

Are there any dvd players out there now that will allow me to upconvert my old copy protected dvd's via component input?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Simple answer............no.
If you have an A/V receiver that "upscales", it might work to a degree, but not sure. I say that, because you might could have component cables going to the receiver, and if it "upconverts" component to HDMI, and you have the HDMI from the receiver to the tv, it might work that way. But again, not real sure.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The only hope you have to accomplish this is to get your hands on an old Oppo player or Zenith DVB 318 off of Craig's list or Ebay. Those were the only players that would allow you to upscale to 1080i via component.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Oppo said they had one model (forget which one it was) that would upscale over component, but only with non-copyrighted dvds. This was awhile back, so maybe they built another one?

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
I don't understand the distinctions that are being made here.

Many Blu-ray players upconvert DVDs to 1080p over HDMI and 1080i or 720p over component video connections. Entry-level BD players don't cost much more than DVD players.

I've certainly used a Sherwood BDP-5004 to do this for several DVDs from major studios purchased at BestBuy.

What am I misunderstanding?

ps.

oops. I just realized that I actually was sending the component video to the receiver which was then sending it to the projector using HDMI. Would that make a difference?

s.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
oops. I just realized that I actually was sending the component video to the receiver which was then sending it to the projector using HDMI. Would that make a difference?
Yes, as the receiver will process the protected video through HDMI and it's accepted. The other way won't happen, hence the need for the older player that does is needed.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Originally Posted by Jerome Grate

Yes, as the receiver will process the protected video through HDMI and it's accepted. The other way won't happen, hence the need for the older player that does is needed.
In this case, it's actually the receiver that's doing the upconverting. The player is still outputting 480p via component and the receiver is scaling it up to 1080p.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
There are a number of DVD players that won't honor the CSS encoding restriction of 480p over component and will upscale to 720p and 1080i, some even 1080p over component connections. The Samsung DVD-HD841, DVD-HD950 and DVD-HD941 are three from Samsung that should be easy to find. LG has the Zenith DVB-318 and DVB-418. The NeuNeo HVD-2081 and HVD-2085 and a few different Helios models will. There are a few Malata players that will. There are some hacks for more recent mainstream company players that enable component upscaling with CSS protected DVD's. There is a long thread at AVSForums about how to enable component upscaling with the LG DVB-418 and some other information about how to get the most from the player. It was still available as a refurb when I checked at a cheap price not long ago but is long out of production. I put a DVB-418 on my sister's display and the picture quality is good, it uses Faroudja FLI2310 but you need to be concerned about the macroblocking enhancement error, it will be a problem with some displays. I do recall there were hacks for some Denon DVD players that used the FLI2310 chip but I don't recall what the hack was.

I have the NeuNeo HVD-2085 and it will upscale to 1080p/60 over component. It was made for the now defunct Chinese red laser HD format, HVD but it also played DVD. There are quite a few additional players that will upscale protected DVD over component, I used to keep a list for when this question was asked and I may have responded to the question here with more players a few years ago.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Of course I should add, buying a Blu-ray player which is really inexpensive now and watching true HD, maybe Netflix rentals would be a much wiser investment than buying a player that will offer faux HD from DVD. The improvement from having the DVD player scale rather than the display is minor compared to watching true HD using Blu-ray. All Blu-ray players with component video output will play Blu-ray at HD resolutions now and for the foreseeable future. At some point, the studios could start to use ICT to restrict component Blu-ray to 480p but it hasn't happened yet and all of the existing Blu-ray discs will not have the restriction. I am also going to bet you can find a Blu-ray player that will do a nice job at 480p with DVD over component.

Chris

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is a breakout box called the "Fury III" that allows HDMI signals to be converted and sent over component outputs. Most likely that would allow upscaled 480--->1080 to be sent over component. I don't know how well it works though.

Users who are viewing this thread