What's new

Upconversion: Panny BD35 vs. Oppo 980 (1 Viewer)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the process of updating the HT and got myself an Oppo 980 to play my SD discs and was waiting for the price of a Panny 58" plasma to drop. I checked Amazon and saw it going for a good price and $300 off if I got a Panny BD35 to go with it. I jumped on the deal and now have two players: the Oppo 980 and the Panny BD35.

I have tons of SD discs and am wondering about the upconversion of the Panny BD35. Should I keep the Oppo for upconversion purposes or would it be okay to sell it???

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Why don't you hook up both players to your new plasma and do a simultaneous A/B comparison with 2 identical discs?

Then you can tell us which does a better job.

I genuinely would like to know myself.

StevieRay

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
I'm a new Blu-ray enthusiast and I'm wondering if the DVD players with upconversion will output the upconvert to anything besides 1080p.

I'm a renter, so I didn't want to buy a huge screen only to risk it in a move. So I bought a cheaper TV that only goes up to 1080i. I believe the PS3 says it will only play copyrighted discs at 1080p.

I recently bought a blu-ray drive for my computer and I have a few blu-ray titles, but some are defective (Lionsgate Stargate main menu right side doesn't work, no burned-in subtitles for Egyptian and alien speech).

I'm contemplating just buying a DVD player with upconvert but I don't know if the upconvert can support anything but 1080p.

BTW, I just found an Insignia DVD player with upconvert and they say you get 1080i on component out and 1080p on HDMI. Still, I wonder if you can select 1080i on HDMI...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Absolutely not true. The Blu-ray players I have (PS3 and Samsung 1500) allow the user to choose the resolution he wishes the player to send to the TV via HDMI. When I had a 720p HDTV, I had the PS3 send 1080i to the TV, and the TV's superior scaler projected it at 720p. (I thought the image was more solid at 1080i rather than 720p from the PS3 to the TV.)

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'm in the market to purchase a BD35, and I plan on keeping my oppo983. The analog audio output on the oppo is awsome for CD playback. I can tell you that the audio quality from a CD is going to be better via the oppo than any BD player. I also use it for SD-DVD's, but so far I'm not impressed, but I also had it going through my denon which may be a bit too much hdmi upconverting...so my next move is to run it directly into the tv via HDMI and just go digital out for sound...but I digress. Use the oppo for music and SD-DVD's, and use the BD for what it is made for...BluRay!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You might want to check out the specs of the new Denon top-of-the-line BD player (in the thread by RAF) before making such a sweeping statement.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I stand corrected. I assumed that there was a general price range when speaking in terms of the devices spoken of in the thread. Of course money will buy a BD player that is better than the best CD player I ever owned...but I can't afford it.

Am I at least on point in the statement that dollar for dollar...a high end CD player will never be beaten out by a BD player as far as stereo playback?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

You'd have to compare for yourself, but I'm willing to bet the BD35 will be slightly better on film-based DVDs especially enabling the 24fps capability for DVD on this unit. It seems to give just an extra little crispness to the image.

I have the BD35 and had the 980 a while back.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Lew, that high end Denon BR sounds awesome, however I would imagine the majority of HTF members could not afford one given these economic times. Maybe lower priced units will follow.
Regards
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks