What's new

Upcoming Horror Movies! / News, discussion, calendar, etc. (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Don't go by just us, Julie. There are several horror-centric reviewers out there who dug the movie a lot more than Nick, Matt and I did. You may love the wacky thing. I liked it enough to recommend it; I'm just not all enthusiastically excited about this particular zombie flick.

Also, I just saw The Park, which is a Hong Kong horror flick that uses periodic bouts of 3-D to help alleviate the tedious narrative. It doesn't help. Click here for my review. (I apologize for that one annoying advertisement page!)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Scott, I'll certainly still see Undead. There's just no way I'm going to miss a movie with zombie fish! However, I will lower my expectations a bit, but that's not really a bad thing to do before seeing a movie.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey

Not that Im aware of though you can get it on R2. I picked up a copy from Ebay at a good price.

Just watched Darkness again, and here's a quick review for those interested. The film starts with quick flashes of horrific events which took place in an old house 40 years before and we them move to the present day with a new family moving in to the same house. And then what do you know, things start going bump in the night.

Admittedly there are a lot of elements about Darkness which horror fans will have seen many times (whispering scared boy who can see dead people springs to mind, ghostly children,) but the director still manages to build up a real sense of dread over what is going on. I was really impressed with the direction of this film, and having seen his other film, The Nameless, Balaguero could make a fantastic horror film. The problem I found with this film, as with The Nameless is the ending, which is just too abrupt. It didnt bother me as much in The Nameless, but this film felt like they'd lost the last reel.Dont get me wrong, the film does have an ending, and you arent really left in any doubt as what happened its just I still felt cheated by it. The latter third of the film has some great moments which reminded me of Silent Hill (the video game) and were extremely creepy, but then it just sort of ends. Trying very hard not to give anything away here but would be interested to know if anyone else who saw this felt the same

Despite this, I still really enjoyed the film and would definitely recommend it for the effective first half and the "Silent Hill" sequence. Just a shame there wasnt another 15 minutes at the end.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

Not to nit-pick (oh, hell...isn't nit-picking the whole point of the Home Theatre Forum?), but wasn't the title of the 1958 Dracula actually, The Horror of Dracula?

And speaking of vampires...

I'm still waiting for someone to confirm that third Fright Night sequel. Has anyone seen the Ginger Snaps II disc yet to confirm the inclusion of a Fright Night III trailer?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

You know I'll be the only one to admit this but I've been keeping up with Deader and Hellworld and I'm looking forward to both. The last film, Hellseeker, was actually pretty decent (10 million times better than the AWFUL 5th movie) and I liked Dean Winters in the main role. Deader will see the return of some cenobite favorites so count me in for a viewing, no matter how cheeseball they may be;) .

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
News bits:

You can see a ten minute sequence from the upcoming movie Godsend (Robert De Niro, Greg Kinnear, Rebecca Romjin) if you click right here.

Creature-Corner reports that genre faves Ken Foree (Dawn of the Dead) and Michael Berryman (The Hills Have Eyes) have been cast in The Devil's Rejects (aka House of 1000 Corpses 2).

C-C also let me know that you can see the teaser for Ginger Snaps Back right here at Movie-List.

I mentioned this in the discussion thread, but you can see the trailer for Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid right here at Yahoo!

Coming Soon reports that Marcus (TCM '03) Nispel is now attached to some new horrors: "The film, developed for Nispel to direct, is set beneath the city of New York and is described as a sci-fi thriller in a similar vein to Aliens that centers on what is discovered in a subterranean area and how it could impact mankind." Neat-o.

...and don't forget...

Anacondas are watching you!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

You're not the only one, as I'm dying to see the new entries in the franchise as well. The Hellraiser series is one of the few franchises in which I love every film.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

You said the same thing about the Howling, Leprechaun and Puppet Master series. Bwaha.

And don't forget, Justin...

The anacondas eat horror fans!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

Haha, no way! I love the original Howling and the first five Puppet Master flicks though. :)

By the way, Scott, are you going to review Dead End? It blew me away, and is one of the best horror films of recent years IMO, and I'd like to read your thoughts.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Dude, if you could read people's thoughts I should be #7,424,532 on your list.

Regarding Dead End, I don't think I'll be reviewing it. It's been a while since I've seen it, so I wouldn't be able to give it a fair shake without a second spin. Maybe when it hits R1.

Right this minute I'm watching A Tale of Two Sisters (Janghwa, Hongryeon) (on loan to me from the film festival folks)...and this thing is like mega-creepy. :)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Speaking of horror movies, I've have yet to see the MPAA give a rating for Van Helsing. Has the movie run into trouble over the level of violence in the movie? :confused:

Herm C

Stunt Coordinator

Scott, A Tale of Two Sisters is great! A surreal, supernatural horror film. I loved it!

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Great thread. And thanks for so many great suggestions everyone. I've already managed to add a handful to my NetFlix queue.:) Looks like there is a lot of good stuff to look forward to as well.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

That's music to my blood-soaked ears. (They're not really blood-soaked; just working on the horror theme.) Make sure you stop back and let us know which ones we made you rent!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I just saw A Tale of Two Sisters last weekend after buying the region 3 SE from XploitedCinema. I buy any Asian horror I can get my hands on, as they are making some of my favorite films today. Anyways, its a damn good film, and extremely moody. Some nice twists as well, and the film is very eerie. This would have to rank at least in my top 3 Asian favs, but I don't think it beats out Uzumaki and Kairo.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Van Helsing (2004)
Universal Studios
PG-13
Rated PG-13 for nonstop creature action violence and frightening images, and for sensuality.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

???

Nice to see that the MPAA is now helping to MARKET films.

Van Helsing

"A monster-laden masterpiece" - Critic X, Newpaper Y

"A rollicking good time!" - Critic Z, Website X

"Nonstop Creature Action!!" - Motion Picture Association of America

:rolleyes

And what's their basis for labeling something "nonstop"? Whatever happened to "pervasive"?

Meh. Don't get me started. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks