What's new

Upcoming Horror Movies! / News, discussion, calendar, etc. (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Note: Feel free to consider this the All Horror Discussion Thread!

What with all the cool little horror flicks that are always on the horizon, I thought it might be fun to have one central thread for the Gorehounds to call their own. We'll keep it updated regularly with the latest news, reviews, and actors who like booze.

This doesn't mean you can't still start a thread dedicated solely to Seed of Chucky, but after seeing all the genre fans crop up in the threads for May, Cabin Fever, Session 9, High Tension, The Toolbox Murders, Frailty, etc., etc. - I figured a one-stop thread might prove entertaining.

First let's start off with the resources. There are a handful of excellent horror movie sites out there. These are the ones I enjoy the most and rely upon for solid news and reviews on horror flicks both mainstream and obscure:

Arrow in the Head
Bloody-Disgusting
Creature-Corner
Fangoria
Horror DVDs
Monsters at Play
Upcoming Horror Movies

(If I've left any of your favorite horror sites out, lemme know and I'll add 'em in.)

Next up we have the calendar:

4/27: My Little Eye (DVD) (Marc Evans)
4/30: Godsend (Nick Hamm)

5/7: Van Helsing (Stephen Sommers)
5/25: Bubba Ho-tep (DVD) (Don Coscarelli)

6/1: Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation (DVD) (Phil Tippett)
6/8: The Bunker (DVD) (Rob Green)
6/18: Darkness (Jaume Balaguero)
6/22: Deathwatch (DVD) (Michael J. Bassett)

7/30: The Village (M. Night Shyamalan)

8/6: Open Water (Limited) (Chris Kentis)
8/13: Alien vs. Predator (Paul W.S. Anderson)
8/20: Exorcist: The Beginning (Renny Harlin)
8/20: Open Water (Wide)
8/27: Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid (Dwight H. Little)
8/31: Dracula 3: Legacy (DVD) (Patrick Lussier)
8/31: Hellraiser: Deader (DVD) (Rick Bota)

9/24: The Machinist (Brad Anderson)

10/1: Cursed (Wes Craven)
10/1: Resident Evil: Apocalypse (Alexander Witt)
10/1: The Woods (Lucky McKee)
10/8: The Grudge (Takashi Shimizu)
10/22: House of Wax (Jaume Serra)
10/29: Seed of Chucky (Don Mancini)

11/9: Ginger Snaps Back (DVD) (Grant Harvey)
11/10: The Ring 2 (Hideo Nakata)

12/3: The Phantom of the Opera (Joel Schumacher)
12/10: Blade: Trinity (David Goyer)

1/14/05: Amityville

Coming soon but TBD:

Alone in the Dark (Uwe Boll)
Boogeyman (Stephen Kay)
The Crow: Wicked Prayer (Lance Mungia)
Dark Water (Walter Salles)
Dead & Breakfast (Matthew Leutwyler)
Dead End (Fabrice Canepa)
The Devil's Rejects: House of 1000 Corpses 2 (Rob Zombie)
Freak Out (Christian James)
The Ghosts of Edendale (Stefan Avalos)
Hellraiser: Hellworld (Rick Bota)
High Tension (Alexandre Aja)
The Hole (Nick Hamm)
Home Sick (Adam Wingard)
King of the Ants (Stuart Gordon)
Man-Thing (Brett Leonard)
The Last Horror Movie (Julian Richards)
The Prophecy: Uprising (DVD) (Joel Soisson)
The Prophecy: Forsaken (DVD) (Joel Soisson)
Rottweiler (Brian Yuzna)
Satan's Little Helper (Jeff Lieberman)
Saw (James Wan)
Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright)
The Toolbox Murders (Tobe Hooper)
Trauma (Marc Evans)
Undead (The Spierig Brothers)

In the works but not due real soon:

2001 Maniacs (Tim Sullivan)
The Box (Eli Roth)
The Changeling
Devour (David Winkler)
Diamond Dead (George Romero)
Flight of the Dead
The Hills Have Eyes (Alexandre Aja)
Riding the Bullet (Mick Garris)
Santa's Slay (David Steiman)
Silent Hill (Christophe Gans)
Snakes in a Plane
Underworld 2 & 3 (Len Wiseman)

Umm... now a few... um, recommendations! Yes.

Look, you guys know I'm a horror whore. I freely admit to praising Cabin Fever a whole lot, pushing my beloved May down everyone's throat, and basically behaving like I'm the ONLY person in the world who sees the beauty in movies like Frailty, Ravenous and Session 9 (which, obviously, is not the case). Your opinions might not mesh with mine. If you hated Cabin Fever but loved House of 1000 Corpses...then feel free to use my opinions as a Reverse Barometer; if I dig something, you'll probably hate it. Either way I'm being helpful!

To start off, Lions Gate rules. Seriously. They snatch up all the great little horror nuggets that the other buyers sneer at. This year they have (at least) three on the docket that are really damn good: High Tension, Open Water and (my favorite of the three) Saw. Obviously you'll all see these ones once they're released. ;)

There's this teeny tiny little Brit horror/comedy called Freak Out that most astute horror fans will appreciate, Tobe Hooper's remake of The Toolbox Murders is a perfectly entertaining throwback slasher, Marc Evans' truly cool My Little Eye hits DVD later this month (as does a fairly creepy war/horror movie from Britsville called Deathwatch - with the "other" war/horror movie from Britsville (The Bunker) on its way as well (though I haven't seen that one yet), Dead & Breakfast is a great little treat, those who haven't seen it will dig The Hole if and when Dimension ever releases the damn thing, that Aussie Undead flick is crazy fun, The Machinist (though not full-on horror) is creepy and intense enough to be included, Dead End is a clever little curiosity (though others dig it a whole lot more than I do), Bubba Ho-tep is something that any Bruce Campbell fan can reliably purchase sight unseen...

Whew. I think that's everything.

Chime in and offer your own thoughts on these flicks. Please feel free to remind me of any titles (or websites) that I'm missing above. And check back often, as I aim to keep this thread updated with the latest horror news. (I'm sure I'll get plenty of help from folks like Justin, Alex, Julie, Matt, etc.)

Yay horror movies.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Great thread idea Scott!

Another interesting movie site is one devoted to Lovecraftian films. There are some intersting low-budget indie productions out there.

On a slightly larger scale, Fangoria is reporting today about Tobe Hooper's next (?) movie called Mortuary. Says the script writer "There are zombies in it, but it’s based more on the Cthulhu mythos. It’s a Lovecraftian horror tale, based on his writings but not any specific story. It’s about a family whose dad buys a cemetery/mortuary in Arkham, Massachusetts, and spooky hijinx ensue."

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Great idea for a thread, Scott!

Interesting regarding Mortuary, Julie. I'll have to check out Fango's news post about it.

I wanted to chime in and back-up Scott's recommendation of My Little Eye. I caught it last summer, and I was really impressed. Not the world's greatest story, but very moody and well executed. I'll definitely be picking up the DVD.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
And since it's such a favorite topic of discussion among horror fiends...

The Remakes

From Asian to American

Dark Water (2002) / Dark Water (2004)
Don't Look Up (1996) / remake on the way
The Eye (2002) / remake on the way
Ju-On: The Grudge (2002) / The Grudge (2004)
Phone (2002) / remake on the way
Ring (1988) / The Ring (2002)
A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) / remake on the way
Turn (2001) / remake on the way

The Classics Remade

13 Ghosts (1960) / Thirteen Ghosts (2001)

The Blob (1958) / The Blob (1988)
The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) / The Bride (1985)

Cape Fear (1962) / Cape Fear (1991)
Carnival of Souls (1962) / Carnival of Souls (1998)
Carrie (1976) / Carrie (2002)
Cat People (1942) / Cat People (1982)

Dawn of the Dead (1978) / Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dracula (1931) / Dracula (1958) / Dracula (1979) / Dracula (1992)

The Fly (1958) / The Fly (1986)
Frankenstein (1931) / Frankenstein (1994)

Godzilla (1954) / Godzilla (1998)

The Haunting (1963) / The Haunting (1999)
The House on Haunted Hill (1959) / House on Haunted Hill (1999)
Humanoids from the Deep (1980) / Humanoids from the Deep (1996)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) / Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) / Body Snatchers (1993)
The Island of Lost Souls (1933) / The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977) / The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996)

King Kong (1933) / King Kong (1976)

The Masque of the Red Death (1964) / Masque of the Red Death (1989)
Maximum Overdrive (1986) / Trucks (1997)
The Mummy (1932) / The Mummy (1999)

Night of the Living Dead (1968) / Night of the Living Dead (1990)
Nosferatu (1922) / Nosferatu (1979)

Phantom of the Opera (1943) / Phantom of the Opera (1989) / Phantom of the Opera (1998)
Piranha (1978) / Piranha (1995)
Psycho (1960) / Psycho (1998)

The Shining (1980) / The Shining (1997)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) / The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
The Thing From Another World (1951) / The Thing (1982)

Village of the Damned (1960) / Village of the Damned (1995)

Coming Soon

Amityville (2005)
The Changeling (2005)
The Hills Have Eyes (2005)
House of Wax (2004)
King Kong (2005)
Suspiria (2005)
The Toolbox Murders (2004)
2001 Maniacs (2004)

(OK, which ones did I miss?) ;)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, nice idea for a thread indeed. Here is some news on Stuart Gordon's latest film. The book based crime thriller, King of the Ants, hits DVD June 29th, and you can see a look at the cover art and specs here:

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2213

Having read the book, and being a big fan of most of Gordon's films, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. From the pics and article in Fango a while back, it looks like Gordon's got him another winner here. I've also heard that George Wendt's villainous turn in the film is very well done, and on top of all that, the gorgeous Kari Wuhrer has a part in the film too. Can't wait to see this!

On another note, I bought the Canadian DVD of Ginger Snaps 2, and here are my thoughts on the film:

The original is my favorite werewolf film, and this was a pretty good follow up. Ghost was definitely a great character, and she added a lot to the film. Brigitte's struggle with the werewolf curse is very nicely done, and I loved that there was a werewolf stalking her to mate. The werewolf looked great as well. While I'm one of the seemingly few that liked the werewolf in the original, I think I liked the wolf in this one better.

The film has a much darker tone than the original, though there is some dark humor sprinkled throughout. There was surprisingly not that many kills, as I thought there were a lot of potential victims. The plot point for the second half of the film limits the victim tally though, not that that's a problem at all, just an observation. I liked the ending. It was very mean spirited, and definitely different. I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and think its a worthy followup. Now I can't wait for the third, which looks very cool!

And you can see the trailer for the third film here, as Gorezone posted it in the news update:

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=gingersnaps3

Not the case indeed, as those are three of my absolute favorites from the past several years. Glad to see you loved them as well. Along with Cabin Fever and a few others I won't mention right now, they are some of the best genre entries in a long time.

I'm another big supporter of My Little Eye by the way. I bought the region 2 SE upon its release, and its one of the best films and DVDs I have in my collection. A wonderful piece of work that I have watched several times since acquiring it.

I read about Hooper and Mortuary, and think that's a damn good idea. I think Hooper is a severely underrated director, and him tackiling a zombie film is beyond appealing to me. Can't wait to see his Toolbox Murders remake as well. The pics I've seen look great.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, you missed the remake of the excellent The Changeling that is scheduled for 2005.

Also, one upcoming film not mentioned on the calendar is the adaptation of the fantastic comic, Man-Thing, which is scheduled to hit theaters this Fall. I am a very big fan of the comic, and think it is much better than the similar Swamp Thing. I dug up a news bit that I remembered seeing, and here it is:

http://www.creature-corner.com/news4/mar10manthing.php3

Another one left off the calendar is Brian Yuzna's Rottweiler. The poster for the film looks great, I've loved most of Yuzna's films, and I'm always up for a killer dog film. Here is a news bit I dug up on it from memory:

http://www.creature-corner.com/news4...ottweiler.php3

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Horror By the Numbers! (Sequel Counting)

11 - Friday the 13th, Witchcraft

9 - The Amityville Horror

8 - Halloween, Hellraiser, A Nightmare on Elm Street

7 - Children of the Corn, The Howling, Puppet Master

6 - Leprechaun

5 - Child's Play, The Exorcist, The Prophecy, Silent Night, Deadly Night, Sleepaway Camp

4 - Alien, Critters, The Crow, The Curse, Ghoulies, House, It's Alive, Jaws, Mirror, Mirror, The Omen, Phantasm, Prom Night, Psycho, Subspecies, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Toxic Avenger, Watchers, Wishmaster

3 - Blade, Candyman, Carnosaur, Dracula 2000, The Evil Dead, From Dusk Till Dawn, Ginger Snaps, Jurassic Park, Mimic, Night of the Demons, Night of the Living Dead, Poltergeist, Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead, Scanners, Scream, Shark Attack, Slumber Party Massacre, Sometimes They Come Back, The Stepfather, Warlock, Witchboard, Xtro

2 - 976-EVIL, Alligator, American Psycho, An American Werewolf in London, The Birds, The Blair Witch Project, Blood Feast, C.H.U.D., Carrie, Creepshow, Crocodile, Cube, Demons, The Dentist, Final Destination, The Fly, Fright Night, The Gate, The Guyver, The Hills Have Eyes, The Hitcher, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Jeepers Creepers, The Mangler, Octopus, Pet Sematary, Pumpkinhead, Resident Evil, Sorority House Massacre, Species, Spiders, Urban Legend, Waxwork

(What else I miss?) ;)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Re: King of the Ants - Seeing it this week! :emoji_thumbsup:

Re: Ginger Snaps 2 - I liked it. Liked.

Re: Hooper's new Mortuary - Apparently this is pushing back a project he was working on called Brew. Oh well!

Re: The Changeling, Man-Thing and Rottweiler - I'll add 'em!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The Bunker is much better than Deathwatch, though I didnt think the latter was that great really.

Dead End was quite good but let down by a really poor and obvious ending IMO.

Darkness is a good horror film and you can get in on DVD from Europe now. Excellent picture and sound - just a shame the extras are in Spanish as it is a 2 disc set.

Nice to see another fan of Ravenous, Scott. Not many I know like it at all.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
does anyone know if Paramount is still working on remaking Let's Scare Jessica To Death?

i hope they are since that would mean the original would be getting a tied-in dvd release around the same time.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, for sequels, you left out The Omen, Resident Evil, and The Slumber Party Massacre.

I saw Dead End and absolutely adored it. A truly fantastic film, and I didn't mind the ending that much at all. I also own the R2 DVD of Darkness, and I think its quite good, but not on par with Balaguero's previous film, the outstanding The Nameless.

Ravenous is one of my top 20 favorite films. :p)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Creature Corner mentioned a possible third "Fright Night" film recently...

Bloody Disgusting had a source write it claiming he works at a video store and has received a string of flyers showcasing some of the horror titles making their way onto shelves in the second half of the year...one of them being a third installment of "Fright Night." This source adds that William Ragsdale stars alongside a Jemma Redgrave in a plot that involves a television station taken over by vamps to resurrect two thousand year old Count. A trailer for this sequel is out there too.

Supposedly the trailer is on the "Ginger Snaps 2" DVD. Anyone seen it?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Great idea for a thread, Saw is currently my most anticipated horror film. Great cast for a first time film crew, if this one disappoints i'm coming after Scott with a blunt object. ;)

I saw Undead last year. Very disappointing, nowhere near as fun as the preview would have you believe. You would think a film with Zombie fish could have been better.

I'll be checking out My Little Eye and Ravenous this weekend based on the recommendations here, I didn't even know the latter was a horror film.

Oh come on, now they aren't even trying.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
So who's doing the Suspiria remake? Another "world-renowned director of videos and commercials" who will s-can all of Argento's beautiful artistry for ho-hum slasher hijinks?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Man, I love horror movies, ever since I was a kid! Great thread! Sad thing is, I'm getting a little more out of the cheesy horror that goes straight to video than most of the big studio releases. I think they have more passion to get it made than what the Machine puts out. Look at OPEN WATER. Guy has little money, so what does he do? Drops a couple into the water, dumps in some chum, and lets the fun begin! But I do rent the big studio horror movies. :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

That's certainly what I was thinking. Argento's stuff is so off-the-wall that it's gotta be hard to remake, especially for a young'n.

Re: Undead. I'm with Nick. It wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't very good either.

Also, Scott's review of Saw has me pumped. Can't wait until that's released.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
How about Two different Exorcist Prequels?

Both Exorcist Prequels Hit

Morgan Creek topper James Robinson has plans: He's seeking to have Warner Bros. release both director's “Exorcist” prequel pics simultaneously on DVD. This move would cause a variety of potential problems (DGA accreditations, marketing surveys, etc.).

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

I'm actually seeing that one very soon, and it is also my most anticipated horror film at this point. Sounds outstanding from all that I've read.

I remembered some more to add to the sequel list:

The Curse
C.H.U.D.
Mirror, Mirror
The Guyver

I'm counting on that Suspiria remake sucking. Have to wait and see, but that's what I'd bet on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks