What's new

Upcoming Elton John SACD's What to get? (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Well Dan, it is Universal, but a Warner spokesperson seem to imply that separate DVD-A release may be a thing of the past:

http://www.stereophile.com/news/110104aessurround/

"
Another of Hurley's brief comments may have particular significance for high-resolution audio supporters: "Stand-alone DVD-Audio discs will disappear." He predicted that DualDisc will succeed where DVD-A failed by appearing in the regular bins along with regular CDs, not in a special section of the store."

I bought all of discs. The multi-channel mixes were too aggressive for my tastes but well done if you like that sort of thing. There have been new tools reported by many hi-rez things have not done the best job of indicating what the history was.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
However, with the apparent problems with DualDisc (besides the lesser play times and the possibility that the high rez. track could be lowered in resolution to fit more stuff on the DVD side) would that rule out a two-pack with one CD and one uncompromised, full length DVD-Audio disc? This was how they packaged Barenaked Ladies' latest album (although somewhat before DualDisc). That would be the best way to do this... and keep the price the same as a normal CD (that should come down too as they've always been over priced). They'd sell soooo many more albums this way, and perhaps slow some of the downloading.

People saw DVD as having more bang vs. buck and became the number one selling video product ever... why can't the music biz. see this and step up?

Dan

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Dan, I agree completely. I won't be buying any of the Dual Discs and experiment to see what players I can stick it in to do damage to the disc or the player or both. There is only one title tentatively announced that might be of interest to me and it is coming to SACD in Europe and for one disc and none of those same problems I'll just spring for the $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks