1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

UPA-700 vs Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by thenightisdark, Jul 14, 2013.

1. thenightisdark

Pete Hays
    I trying to decide if I should use a TX-NR515 or UPA-700?
    The speakers I am using are : Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, a Pioneer SP-C22 and a Pioneer SW-8MK2.

At first glance, the A/V receiver right? Well, I have it and am about to return it and get the UPA-700. Tell me I am wrong or right!

Here is the history: Had a $70 5.1 computer speaker setup. The speakers died, and it is time to upgrade to some better speakers. I like the speakers, but they are still returnable too, incase 6 ohm speakers are crud for some reason I dont know yet! so, speakers aside, how do I power them?

Here is my setup: I have a computer with HDMI out*. I have a projector I use as a TV hooked up to my computer. I have the Pioneers hooked up to the TX-NR515. My computer has spdif out, 5.1 sound over 1/8th jacks in addition. This is my computer.

As far as I can tell, I am using my TX-NR515 as nothing more than a UPA-700. Why not use a much, much better amp if all I am using the TX-NR515 is as an amp?

Plus to using TX-NR515
    1) HDMI to transmit audio over

And the UPA-700 would lose those plus's
    1) using 1/8th jacks to transmit over instead of HDMI

Am I right on my assumptions? Am I crazy to switch from TX-NR515 to a UPA-700?

*HDMI and S/PDIF, I have both connected. I started a few songs, and during the songs switched from optical to HDMI. Over my TX-NR515 they both sounded nearly the same. Optical was slightly quieter, that is about it. I know on paper they are the same, but I got to test it. Sounded the same.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    If you only have 1 source, and you'll be happy using your 6 channel analog, sure.

Your computer can control the volume.

And optical=digital coax=HDMI for all audio that isn't lossless anyway. As long as your computer can change lossless to PCM, instead of bitstream, your are good for lossless audio.

3. thenightisdark

Pete Hays
    Thanks. Now I have the peace of mind to start with just the amp, and add the UMC-200 or other AV Preamp down the road.

4. thenightisdark

Pete Hays
    How do the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, a Pioneer SP-C22 and a Pioneer SW-8MK2 compare to the others recommended here? I am a newbie, so only know 8 ohms is better than 6 ohms. The pioneers are 6 ohms.... budget is $300ish (spent just less than $300 on all 4 speakers)
    › Nominal Impedance.......................................................6 Ohms
    › Sensitivity (2.83 V)...............................................................85 dB
    › Maximum Input Power.........................................................80 W
    › Cross-Over Frequency.........................................................3 kHz
    Spec Sheet (PDF)

The Bic America Adatto Dv52Si Adatto Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Black) were recommended, they are 8 ohms. They are way less, $70 and paired with BIC AMERICA DV-52CLRB 5 1/4" 2-Way Center Channel Speaker (BIC AMERICA DV52CLRB) is $130 (no sub).

or

klipsch HD theater 300 is $400. Should I have gone with that instead? It is also NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible.

Did I get the wrong speakers?

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    8 is not better than 6. Just like 4 is no better.The speakers fine.

6. thenightisdark

Pete Hays
    I found this after you answered, I wish I had found it sooner. This seems to plainly explain what ohlms is to us beginners.

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

I need to read it about 3 more times to really understand it, but I wanted to post it because it might help someone else.