What's new

Up Pixar (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I don't think that the link works anymore :frowning: But on the official website there is a longer clip of Carl & Russell's conversation on the porch. (Just click on the house)

That kid is so cute! And the animation is pretty amazing too, huh?

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I'm probably in the minority but I really enjoyed "A Bug's Life" and even to my surprise "Cars" (which I thought was a really stupid concept for a Pixar film at first).

I like those films in some cases even more than some of Pixar's more popular film's like "Finding Nemo" and "WALL-E". Loved Ratatouile as well.

"Up" looks really cool, though I'm not sure precisely what it's about, I have a basic idea and I like what I've seen of it thus far.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also thought WALL-E was one of the weaker Pixar efforts. After all the hype, I was really disappointed once I caught up with it on DVD.

But I am looking forward to UP even though I've only seen limited snippets about it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm: FWIW, I was disappointed, too, after I saw Wall-E the first time (in the theater). But after seeing it a second time (at home on Blu-ray) I really changed my feeling for the film and liked it much, much better.

I dunno. You might want to give it another go sometime. I was really surprised at my complete change of heart.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow! I cannot comprehend somebody not liking Wall-E. Not only was it the best animated film of last year, I could easily convince myself that it was the best film of last year. The only Pixar films that approach it, are Toy Story 2 & The Incredibles.

I for one thought that "Finding Nemo" was their low point and am champing at the bit to see "UP"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Eric: I find individual tastes for the Pixar canon are as varied as the day is long. And people are really passionate on the subject, too!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Quite possible. I've found several films that improved for me upon the second viewing.

I bought the SE DVD, so it's on my shelf whenever I decide to try it again.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Eric: I thought the animation was great, but found the story weak and rather dull.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's basically where I was. I hope you DO give it another go. I bet you'll be pleased. It kinda sucked for me, actually, to NOT like it. I had wanted badly to like it.

I hope you change your mind on it, too.

And to try and put this thread back on track:

Abby: I don't see why any of us would have much doubt that Pixar will come through again with another winner! :emoji_thumbsup:

Bring it on! It'll also means we're that much closer to the release of TS3!

:D

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

That statement couldn't be truer! Pixar fans are very passionate about the movies and of course tastes will vary on the stories told, but I think everyone is in agreement that Pixar's quality is top rate. I think what ALL their movies have in common is how relationships are formed between unlikely characters (monsters + kids, robots, fish, robots, toys, etc). From what I've read about UP so far, the story seems to be one of Pixar's most moving. I'm looking forward to seeing....so yes, BRING IT ON!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
All other Pixar films pale next to The Incredibles!!!!

Nah, just kidding, though it is my favorite. I have yet to meet a Pixar film I didn't like. I liked Wall-E when I saw it on the big screen, but it wasn't until I watched it at home (my first Blu-ray purchase) that it relly grew on me.

Although right now I'm a little tired of it. My 2 year old daughter's favorite DVDs currently are "Pooh" and "Wah-wee", so those are constantly alternating in the player (although she's also watching Futurama with us in the evenings...I wonder how old she'll be when she first says "Bite my shiny metal ass!").

Looking forward to UP in the near future. Pixar has yet to disappoint.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Pixar has yet to disappoint, I agree with that. But it has been a long time since a truly great and fantasic Pixar film came out. The last few (Cars, Ratatouille and Wall-E) got some harsh reviews, and although they all grew on me on repeated viewings, you do get the feeling that you've seen it somewhere before. I'm not complaining or anything, they're still great films. But sometimes repetition does get in a little.
I just hope Up will be nothing short of amazing. And by the way, I though this was going to be more of an action-oriented feature, or am I mistaken?

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

From what I've read, the first part of the movie gives us a background on Carl's life and explains his character. Pixar likes to mix in a lot of the heart with the adventure, don't you think? The second half of the movie is more action-oriented, when he takes off (literally) and goes on his wilderness adventure with little Russell, so that's where most of the action will take place. The first clip from "Adventures of Carl & Russell" hints at that, when they get into some trouble with some unidentified animals :P

Here are some character posters from the movie:
New Character Poster: Pixar’s Up | /Film

I like the Russell one the best. He definitely looks like he's ready for an adventure!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Holy Moley, I couldn't disagree more. I've only found one Pixar film (Cars) to be just so so, every other one has been at least excellent. The last two, Ratatouille and Wall-E were "amazing" and "great and fantastic", at least IMHO.

The great thing about Pixar is how the story is always king and always involving. With their feature length films they've had one double (Cars), one triple (Bugs Life) and the rest are home runs. The 2 Toy Stories, Finding Nemo, and Wall-E are all grand slams. IMHO of course.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
It is interesting to read the various opinions here. I for one really disliked Ratatouille and thought Wall-E was just okay. The second viewing of Wall-E was a bit better but still I find it lacking and I can't quite put my finger on why. Finding Nemo and A Bug's Life are both decent. The film nobody seems to care for is the one I really love and that is Cars. Monsters Inc. is the film most seem to forget about. To me it contains not only the best final scene in a Pixar film but one of the best final scenes ever.

I would rate them as follows (this is based on story not animation, their animation in all films is simply outstanding):

Toy Story - A+++
A Bug's Life - C
Toy Story 2 - A+
Monsters Inc. - A-
Finding Nemo - C
The Incredibles - A
Cars - A+
Ratatouille - D
Wall-E - B-

As far as Up is concerned, the previews haven't wowed me. When I first saw the preview for Cars though I told my wife that it looked like it could be a huge flop and that it looked really bad. Their previews can be deceiving.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I liked Cars when I first saw it but that was about it. However, I rewatched it when the DVD came out and I thought it was excellent. It's a sweet movie about small towns and an easier going lifestyle. I always recommend that people check it out a second time and see if it grows on them.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
It's all personal preference. I've never gotten around to grading them individually (or even just ranking them), but I'd put all four of the most recent films above the first five if I did.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Definitely all personal preference, but I think we can all agree that Pixar the studio always releases quality films and their animation always looks incredible. They always seem to be pushing the animation boundaries with every movie they release and their movies always get multiple viewings (I've seen every Pixar movie at least 3 times, sometimes FAR more for my favorite). UP looks to continue that tradition, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks