What's new

Up All Night - NBC (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
My wife and I watched Christina Applegate's and Will Arnett's new sitcom Up All Night last night and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I think Maya Rudolph as "Ava" (an Oprah like character) is perfect for her. Anyway, for a pilot episode it felt polished and the actors/actresses worked really well together.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Gees I had a different reaction, I thought it was filled with too many hackneyed clichés. It's only the pilot and I like the three lead actors so I'll give it a chance to get its legs but it really needs to improve.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm a big Will Arnett fan, so I tuned in, but bailed after 10 minutes. I knew it wasn't my type of show, and the first 10 minutes confirmed it. Too "sitcommy".

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought it was decent. Maya Rudolph is in her element as the self-absorbed talk show host. A lot of the jokes about new parenthood were fairly obvious, but the opening and closing censored cursing were pretty good. I think the premise of exploring parenthood for a generation known for getting married and having kids much later than those before it is solid, but the question is whether the lessons or experiences are really unique or just the same experiences as any new parent, regardless of age.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Parts of it were incredibly funny. But parts were "The Office" awkward, unrelatable. It's a nice time filler for me, but I don't relate to the night-clubbing, party-hearty essence of the couple and that might be it's downfall for my tastes.

The second episode "Cool Neighbors" was a lot more of "The Office" to me, where I was wondering why the couple had suddenly suffered lobotomies. Ava was great throughout.

Now I need to find those Baby Wallets for my two new nieces. ;)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
DaveF said:
Parts of it were incredibly funny. But parts were "The Office" awkward, unrelatable. It's a nice time filler for me, but I don't relate to the night-clubbing, party-hearty essence of the couple and that might be it's downfall for my tastes.

The second episode "Cool Neighbors" was a lot more of "The Office" to me, where I was wondering why the couple had suddenly suffered lobotomies. Ava was great throughout.

Now I need to find those Baby Wallets for my two new nieces. ;)
I know this is just a sitcom, but if anyone remotely relates to it I would seriously consider them to be unfit parents for sure. The "cool" factor of let's be hip even though we have a kid and married, night clubbing, etc. was a HUGE turn off. When you are a parent, then you are a parent and that is NOT at all the same as life before it. Many of your old friends are no longer in your circle and you certainly don't go out on the town. You take care of your family, work, sleep when you can, eat and hope to make it to the weekend just to be around the house and get a few things done. This show is not for me and I don't find it funny or cool by any of their behavior.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think the show wants to make fresh, new parent jokes by emphasizing this particular couple's former party-going, self-absorbed ways and what a change having a baby has made in their lives. But going as far as they did on the second episode just makes the characters look like idiots. It makes the whole thing either unbelievable (which was my problem with it) or offends people (like it did for Jeffrey_H).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

I think the show wants to make fresh, new parent jokes by emphasizing this particular couple's former party-going, self-absorbed ways and what a change having a baby has made in their lives. But going as far as they did on the second episode just makes the characters look like idiots. It makes the whole thing either unbelievable (which was my problem with it) or offends people (like it did for Jeffrey_H).

I agree. Thank goodness it's not a rehash of "King of Everyone Hates Redmond, Dear". It's not a rehash of beautiful and smart woman married to incompetent idiot man.

But I'm not a night-clubber and don't connect to that attitude, even those it's a fresh take. And I've never been a fan of The Office, so that awkward humor doesn't appeal strongly, usually.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So they went back to more familiar couple issues with post-baby intimacy, but wound up being the better for it, mainly due to the two leads being able to deliver on old jokes. The reconciliation between them also felt well-earned and sincere.

The subplot with Ava was the more humorous actually. Nice callback to Christina Applegate's "Married with Children" look. :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm finding this show working less and less for me. At best, as someone yet to be a parent, I can't relate to the underlying conflicts the characters appear to be struggling with. At worst I think they are being immature, selfish, and idiotic. It's like seeing someone's mid-life crisis from week-to-week.

For parents I think the show is probably more frustrating, as they've had to adjust to the life change without the luxury of bemoaning things or making stupid choices. They probably want to smack the characters even more than I.

The subplots with Ava are actually turning out to be the more entertaining elements, but if they changed the show to be more about her and the running of the show, it would probably veer too far into being another 30 Rock.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Actually, parenthood is chock-full of bemoaning things and making stupid choices. The trick is getting through all that! ;)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Too true. I guess what it comes down to is if I want to see a show about parenting's struggles and joys, I'd just prefer to watch "Parenthood."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

I'm finding this show working less and less for me. At best, as someone yet to be a parent, I can't relate to the underlying conflicts the characters appear to be struggling with. At worst I think they are being immature, selfish, and idiotic. It's like seeing someone's mid-life crisis from week-to-week.

Yep.

What 40-yr old hipster still has cassette tapes?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I still have cassette tapes, but my wife sold our last tape deck in a yard sale last year. (FWIW, I just turned 40, but I ain't no hipster!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks