1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Unwelcome visitor in my bedroom - Who is he? Is he dangerous. PS -- Vilcabamba, Ecuador if locatio

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MickieM, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MickieM

MickieM Member

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Sorry, Mickie.

No help from me,but...yuck!

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Well-Known Member

Rich Travale
    I'm no help either, but my natural instinct would be to stomp his bulbous arse to oblivion. My humane side would put him in some kind of container and drop him off in the woods where he can run and play and be with his spidery friends.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

Well, now I'm certain that I'm never moving to Ecuador at any point in my life...

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    That's a spider (has 8 feet) and it won't bite you.

You're bitten by other bugs. Like mosquitos and things inside your bed.

Cees

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Originally Posted by Cees Alons

7. Marianne

Marianne Well-Known Member

I don't think it's this spider, but they are found in Ecuador!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_wandering_spider

It would be helpful know the size of the spider.

8. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Well-Known Member

Your spider is somewhere in this link

http://www.tolweb.org/notes/?note_id=67

9. MickieM

MickieM Member

Well, I read all the replys to my request. You are the only one that asked a sensible question. The photo I put in there shows the sctual size of the spider. I am hopeing that it is not a Brazilian Jumping Spider as those are the most venomous spider in the world. One person here thought perhaps it might be a brown recluse spider. I just do not know. It is no longer living. But I want to know what it si in case another comes along. Supposedly, we have no spiders in Vilcabamba, but that said, we are only a short distance from Podocarpus National Rainforest......where there are lots of spiders and snakes and whatever, very dangerous and deadly things. ?So - can anyone help? Thanks for everyones interst. And, yes, by the way...I do camp and no I don't just jump and run at every little thing.,..I am fun and I have fun...that is why I am in Ecudor...to live and enjoy life. It is the most beautiful and wonderous place I have ever seen. And super cheap too. There now, I hope that answered everyones comments.

10. MickieM

MickieM Member

By the way, I did check out every spider on that link and did not see this one. That is why I am asking for help identifying it. And for the idiot who does not think that spiders bite....you are in for such a rude awakening if you ever go to the USA in the south or here in Ecuador. I was biten twice by a brown recluse and once by a black widow. Still alive, as most bites won't kill you if you get treatment. But, the Brazilian Jumping spider, also known as the banana spider, will kill you in 30 minutes or less. There is an anti-venom serum, but who keeps it on hand.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

There is no need to call anybody an idiot. And while the spider might be life size on your screen, that's of very little help unless we know what size your screen is.

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

Mickie, you're the one who is in for a rude awakening if you continue to engage in such rhetoric. This site has Rules. There is a link to them in my signature. Rule 10 applies here:

As an extra "bonus", the person you called an idiot happens to be one of my fellow moderators. I can assure you that he is anything but.

We welcome all new members to Home Theater Forum, but we do expect people to behave according to the Rules. Thank you for your future cooperation.

13. Brett_B

Brett_B Premium
    Supporter

Looking at the photo reminded me of the spiders used in the movie, "Arachnophobia".

Researching that type of spider lead me to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparassidae

It seems to resemble that "type" of spider (specifically, the "huntsman spider")

Hope this helps!

14. Brett_B

Brett_B Premium
    Supporter

After I sent the last reply, I was reading that page that I linked. I clicked on the Cane spider, and the photo looks very similar to the one you took.

Here is that link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_Spider

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Originally Posted by Brett_B

16. Marianne

Marianne Well-Known Member

From the wiki article:

We had a few of these spiders in our last house in Florida - we had a lot of trees in our yard. They were quite large and I remember one in the bathroom carrying her egg sac around. I'm afraid she had to go because the thought of all those baby spiders hatching in our house ...

There were a couple in our previous house as well. We had some 13ft high ceilings and had to throw wet sponges at them to get them down!

Here is another link:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/IN/IN31700.pdf

I don't know why I didn't recognize the one in the original image - but I haven't seen one for a long time (and don't wish to)!

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Originally Posted by Marianne