What's new

Untitled: Almost Famous Bootleg Cut (worth a blind?) (1 Viewer)

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Hello,

I like Kate Hudson and have heard lots of good words about this movie (and DVD).

Is it worth a blind purchase if I've never seen any cut of it.

Can anyone give maybe, a comparaison so i know what kind of movie to expect..

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
It's one of my favorite movies. It's really hard to compare it to anything, since it's fairly unique. It's a movie about a kid who grows up while trying to be a rock journalist in the 70s. Kate Hudson is one of the "band aids", who are basically groupies. It's based on Cameron Crowe's own life growing up.

The untitled cut is much better than the theatrical cut in my opinion, but the bootleg edition contains both, so you can decide for yourself. It also includes a CD of music by Stillwater, the band that was created for, and featured in, the movie.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yes, buy it now. It is a wonderful film and the best picture of that year.

Jason

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, and if you forward me the particulars of your net worth and currently fluid assets, I can provide you with many other possibilities for how you should spend your money according to me and my view of the world and what's worthwhile in it.

(In other words, consider renting it to see if you like it before plunking down good money based on the opinion of someone you don't even know and who is NOT, at any rate, you!)

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Yep, the Untitled ed of Almost Famous is definitely worth buying. I prefer the theatrical vers myself but the commentary track on Untitled is a lot of fun.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If you're into classic rock and the whole '70s rock scene, you probably will like it enough to be worth the prices it's going for nowadays. You get both cuts of the movie (I think the theatrical works a little better as a whole, but the director's cut adds a lot of interesting stuff) plus a CD.

It's an excellent movie.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Absolutley buy it. Worth every penny. It's a beautiful set, lots of fantastic extras, and you get both the theatrical version and the "bootleg" cuts.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I absolutely loved this film and can't recommend it enough. You can check out Roger Ebert's review (unless you want to stay 100% spoiler free, because obviously he discusses the plot to a certain extent):

Ebert Review

Chris

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
The reason why I wouldn't rent it before buying is because it's now at 14.99$CDN on amazon. The price is low.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Great film and great dvd set. Both cuts and good audio cd. My only quibble is that the "Untitled" version doesn't have DTS. That's not a biggie though. Pick it up.

R. Kay

Second Unit
IMHO: Terrific movie. Great extras.

Although ....

Kate Hudson should kiss Cameron Crowe's feet. While she's nice to look at, I thought any competent actress could have done a better job than her.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering the same but I found it relativly cheap on northamericandvd.com so I ordered it tonight. I can't wait to get it.

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
If you haven't seen the film at all yet, by all means pick up the "Bootleg" version. It has not only a few more great scenes, but better extras than the original release.

One of the best films of 2000. Seriously, if you've ever enjoyed a Crowe film you're almost sure to like this one.

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
I'd recommend it without hesitation. For those of us of a certain age it will transport you back to your teenage years.

The Bootleg edition is leaps and bounds better than the theatrical release despite the absence of DTS. I am especially fond of the deleted scene using "Stairway to Heaven". Too bad they couldn't use that in the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks