What's new

Unshielded - Safe Distance? (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I'm just curious about something. What's a safe distance to place unshilded speakers from a TV. What is the minimum safe distance?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Usually a foot or two suffices for direct view sets. Usually not as far for RPTVs, as the crts are way down at the bottom front of the set. IT's easy to move the speaker near the set and see distortion (dont do this for more than just a moment). I'd make sure you're well past the point at which there is no distortion, as playing loud music will create added fields as well, which will increase the effect (and distance). It's one of those logarythmic type dealies, so the effect RAPIDLY decreases with distance. Sorry, i'm very happy NOT to be taking math :D.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using unshielded Paradigm Studio 100's and they reside about 8 inches from the sides of my Pioneer Elite 53" CRT RPTV. Not the best location for imaging, but there is no adverse effect on my display.

James

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Thanks for the responses. I'm contemplating buying some 125 watt Quest QT660 speakers. I'll probably have each of them at least 2 feet away from the 52" RCA RPTV, so I think that should be good enough.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's a fine safe distance if they're unshielded. The major contribution to the field is from the magnet inside and it's strength drops off according to the inverse square law...double the distance is one-fourth the strength. At around 2 feet, the strength of the field is approximately the same as the earth's magnetic field.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks