What's new

Unreleased Columbia TriStar titles? (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
I wonder if Columbia knows how many quality titles they have yet to release? I haven't seen White Nights mentioned. That would make a nice SE. Taylor Hackford does a very interesting commentary and adding Barishnakov (sp) and Hines would be cool.
One other overlooked classic that I'd love to have...CRITTERS I think Columbia controls that one).

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I would like to again mention The Karate Kid movie.
This movie really needs an OAR release; particularly in light of the fact that the sequels were released to DVD in OAR.
Also, any and all Ray Harryhausen movies that remain unreleased in the CTS catalog (Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers is in this category.)

PatrickL

Deceased Member
LAST EXIT TO BROOKLYN (1989)

Oh yeah! I certainly want that one, too. For the longest time I thought this was a New Line title, but I just checked amazon and the last vhs issue was indeed from Columbia. Good one, Jon!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They have a large library of television product from which I would really like to see (season sets, of course):

All in the Family (subsequent seasons)

Archie Bunker's Place (once AITF is finished)

Benson

Bewitched

The Critic

Designing Women

Diff'rent Strokes

The Facts of Life

Fernwood 2Night

Good Times

I Dream of Jeannie

The Jeffersons

Married with Children

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

Maude

One Day at a Time

Punky Brewster

Sanford & Son

Silver Spoons

Soap

What's Happening!! (original plus 1980s revival series, for completist purposes)

RayG

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second a:

Ghostbusters II: Special Edition

and a

Major Dundee director's cut (if footage still exists)

Both of these, and all other releases should be in there original OAR!

Darren H

Second Unit
The films of Satyajit Ray

Columbia has the rights to several amazing films by Ray, a genius of cinema who is inexplicably unavailable on DVD. Begin with:

- Pather Panchali

- Aparajito

- Apur Sansar

(the Apu trilogy)

- Charulata

Bill, if you really have Columbia's ear, please mention Satyajit Ray to them. I realize that his films won't "move as many units" as The Karate Kid, but it just kills me knowing that they have those rights and are just sitting on them. Having recently seen The Apu Trilogy for the first time (on VHS), I can honestly say that they're among the finest films ever made.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I really want

Radio Flyer

In widescreen of course I'd be exteremly upset if it was released pan and scam

that and

Karate Kid WS

My Girl WS

Matilda WS

I hate that these titles are available, but completely unbuyable because they are in pan and scan... I refuse to even buy any of the other karate kids (I like both ii and iii) until I can get the first one in WS

Adam

LarryH

Supporting Actor
The Notorious Landlady - OAR please.
Also, I re-emphasize: The Collector, The Mouse That Roared, The Mysterious Island, and Modern Romance, among many others noted above.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
The Karate Kid- Rerelease in widescreen, preferably S.E.

My Girl- rerelease in widescreen

My Girl 2- Release in widescreen!!!

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Peter Seller's There's A Girl In My Soup, City Slickers 2 and especially Ray Harryhausen's Mysterious Island.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Critters is a New Line title. CTS distributed some early New Line product (Critters 1 & 2, Alone in the Dark, Lucky Stiff, Decline of Western Civilization 2: The Metal Years, Stranded, etc.) in the '80s, with Media Home Entertainment distributing the rest of it (Nightmare on Elm Street series, The Hidden).

Jodee

Screenwriter
Would definitely buy these:
For Keeps
Hot Stuff
Just One of the Guys
Living in Oblivion
Loverboy
Nickelodeon (1976) - Bogdanovich
Modern Romance
Does Columbia have Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo? Guilty pleasure from my junior high years! :)

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Up to eight different votes for Crossroads now. The guitar duel
in the end would be worth the price of the entire disc alone, especially if it is in 5.1.
I'd buy two copies--one for me, one for my dad, who rarely watches a movie more than once, but has watched Crossroads dozens of times.
Oh, and also: Make it widescreen, or don't make it at all. :)
-mwb-

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo" is MGM property.

"Light Of Day" is under the auspices of Paramount, as is "The Monster Squad". Columbia still might have the rights to "Ironweed", though.

"City Slickers 2" was issued on sell-through VHS by Warner Home Entertainment.

I believe they already released "White Nights" on DVD with some extra features.

As for what I want:

All OAR titles...

The titles themselves:

-"The Legend Of Billie Jean" (THIS RELEASE MUST BE IN OAR!) (Suggested special features: A 2 Slaters commentary...that would be Helen Slater and Christian Slater, the music video for "Invincible" by Pat Benatar, any deleted or extended scenes that might be available, screen tests if available, bloopers if available, and the trailer if available)

-"Hall & Oates: The Liberty Concert"

-"We Are The World: The Video Event"

-Compilations of 80s music video from the various Columbia labels

-There was footage on several previous releases of "The Muppets Take Manhattan" that didn't make it into your current DVD release. I wouldn't mind a double-dip on this title...I would like the deleted footage restored, a Frank Oz commentary, and the original theatrical trailer (if it's not in your vaults, go to the Jim Henson company and ask to borrow their trailer for the title). Repeat the process with "The Muppet Movie" and "The Great Muppet Caper"...restored footage, director commentary (with the exception of "The Great Muppet Caper"...go to the producers and writers for commentary instead on that one), and original theatrical trailers from the Henson archives. Remember: OAR! OAR! OAR!

-A new DVD set of "Oscar's Greatest Moments"...make it a multiple DVD set, include Academy Award highlights and lowlights of the past 10 years, and split it up into 3 sections of 2 DVD-18s each...one for the highlights of 1971-1981, one for the highlights of 1982-1991, and one of the highlights of 1992-2001. I would like to see the musical numbers and opening numbers at their full length, the jokes, and see about procuring rights to a few of Chuck Workman's montages. Make sure the movie clips are in OAR, and the awards highlights as well.

Please take these suggestions, Columbia TriStar, and remember...OAR is the way to go, now and forever!

Sincerely,

John "Haven't done that in a long time...it's fun" Kilduff

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My most-wanted title right now is THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY. (Just got CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC and SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER is supposed to be coming out this year!)

It'd also be good to get HARDBODIES, a definite guilty pleasure, possibly released along with its forgettable sequel.

Everything in proper aspect ratio of course- "Formatted to fit your screen" will mean it will NOT be on MY screen!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks