What's new

Universal's 2nd Wave of BR Flipper Disks (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by PaulDA

Whether you jest here or not, I can definitely say that will NEVER be my position. I prefer separate discs over "flippers" but I prefer the flexibility of either, when available, over no flexibility. I ALWAYS prefer to have a "hard copy" to the "streaming" option--so flipper before download for me, please.
You may not have that choice in the fairly near future.

Doug

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Doug

You still have a choice which might mean my days of purchasing movies are over with.

Crawdaddy

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't like flippers, because the DVD supplied in those two (three) disk Blu-ray make such great movie-themed drink coasters. With a flipper...damn.....no more coasters. If I use a flipper and have the BD side face up, I risk ruining it with a liquid ring. If the BD side is face down for protection, the possibility of scratching it increases enormously. That sucks.
Come on Universal, help me out here. I really don't want to have to buy drink coasters in addition to my Blu-ray purchases.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I'm curious. Will the foreign releases be the same exact disc? Is there a chance we'll be able to import a single-sided copy of Jackal? It's one of my favorites, but I absolutely despise double-sided discs.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce /forum/thread/299790/universal-s-2nd-wave-of-br-flipper-disks/30#post_3683117

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Edwin-S /forum/thread/299790/universal-s-2nd-wave-of-br-flipper-disks/30#post_3683125
See I'm thinking the other way now....I'm looking at these bamboo coasters and thinking.....bamboo DVDs!

Doug

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm not bothered by the flippers at all. If I don't use one of the sides: no problem. If I do have a use for it: more power to the flipper.

If (rarely, very rarely) one of the sides go wrong: that could have happened if they weren't released as flippers as well. And with the same odds. But it didn't happen to me yet (not even on the DVD flippers with the P&S/WS choice, not on the HD DVD combos).

Cees

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Doug
I think that future is not so near. It's not decades away, but it isn't happening next year, either. There are new vinyl releases every year (and they are increasing in number). At worst, I believe BD will be like vinyl (a niche but still available product). IF the downloadable version can be burned to a disc that I can play anywhere with EQUAL quality as BD, then it won't matter so much. Second best is a file with BD quality that is not limited to a specific playback device. A device specific, limited usage version will mean a LOT less money from me to the providers, though.

What could be a decent compromise would be something like the Warner Archive programme. You have the option of a download or a disc (made to order). I'd pay a bit extra for the disc (and I suspect enough other people would as well).

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Honestly, what is the big deal about flippers? We have all purchases DVD's with info on both sides, so what should this be different?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think that future is not so near. It's not decades away, but it isn't happening next year, either. There are new vinyl releases every year (and they are increasing in number). At worst, I believe BD will be like vinyl (a niche but still available product). IF the downloadable version can be burned to a disc that I can play anywhere with EQUAL quality as BD, then it won't matter so much. Second best is a file with BD quality that is not limited to a specific playback device. A device specific, limited usage version will mean a LOT less money from me to the providers, though.

What could be a decent compromise would be something like the Warner Archive programme. You have the option of a download or a disc (made to order). I'd pay a bit extra for the disc (and I suspect enough other people would as well).
I think its coming a lot quicker than you might think. Netflix instant view service went from about 10% of their business in 2008 to almost 48% of their business in 2009. Now you can buy TVs with the instant view service built in, no player required. Their films in HD look very good in spite of being only 720p (1080p and 5.1 are coming). And they are getting more and more content for this service with their delayed rental of new releases.

The ultimate goal of the studio is to not have customers owning a physical copy of the movie. They never wanted that, but they went along when it became a revenue stream. Now they are seeing a way to put the genie back in the bottle so to speak. In fact they would prefer that you not even be able to download the film.

Doug

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

I think its coming a lot quicker than you might think. Netflix instant view service went from about 10% of their business in 2008 to almost 48% of their business in 2009. Now you can buy TVs with the instant view service built in, no player required. Their films in HD look very good in spite of being only 720p (1080p and 5.1 are coming). And they are getting more and more content for this service with their delayed rental of new releases.

The ultimate goal of the studio is to not have customers owning a physical copy of the movie. They never wanted that, but they went along when it became a revenue stream. Now they are seeing a way to put the genie back in the bottle so to speak. In fact they would prefer that you not even be able to download the film.

Doug
Perhaps in the US. I'm not convinced it will be as quick elsewhere. And I don't think they can get that genie back in the bottle all the way. IF they do, I will be very vocal (probably harmlessly as far as they are concerned) about my displeasure. I will NOT pay as much to view a film once as I do to own it and see it as often as I like. I will also be EXTREMELY upset at losing a valuable teaching tool.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Perhaps in the US. I'm not convinced it will be as quick elsewhere. And I don't think they can get that genie back in the bottle all the way. IF they do, I will be very vocal (probably harmlessly as far as they are concerned) about my displeasure. I will NOT pay as much to view a film once as I do to own it and see it as often as I like. I will also be EXTREMELY upset at losing a valuable teaching tool.
I'm in the DVD / Blu-ray authoring & post-production business. Been at workshops this week & so many continue to just discuss "cloud" ownership as the next big thing. IE: you add a "digital" copy to your collection, which follows you around where ever you go. You access the collection via your password on your mobile, computer, iPad, or whatever device.

Perhaps that will catch on with some. But however popular it is, I believe both models will exist: streaming and physical media. If its available whenever you want anyway, why wouldn't a distributor go ahead and make even more money selling some physical copies while they are at it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I agree with that completely. There is also content that people clearly desire in pristine and cutting edge AV quality (Avatar) and those they are willing to put up with moderate quality that streaming provides (documentaries). Personal examples will vary.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I noticed the Bourne movies have UK releases that don't say they're combo format, and they're region free. Those of you that share my hatred for flippers should definitely check around for the titles you want.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Viper

I noticed the Bourne movies have UK releases that don't say they're combo format, and they're region free. Those of you that share my hatred for flippers should definitely check around for the titles you want.

The U.K. release of the Bourne films do play fine in a region A player. I purchased these from Amazon.uk before the U.S. flippers were even announced, since the U.K. set was about half the cost of the previous U.S. set.

I believe the only difference between the U.S. and U.K. transfers is that the latter uses player-generated subtitles for the locations, etc. It wasn't a big deal to me.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Summit is now going to be doing this on at least a few upcoming titles: Ghost Writer and Furry Vengeance

Great news. I wish they had been able to do "The Hurt Locker" as a flipper as I would have liked a DVD side to play on my computer. I hope more companies begin adopting the flipper format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks