What's new

Universal's 2nd Wave of BR Flipper Disks (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think the "flippers" may have gotten a bad name from that Hammer Films set of DVD's that Universal released a couple of years ago (two flippers, four films on each disc). I remember at the time a few people were posting about having problems with the picture freezing & alike; I never had any problems. I hope Universal will release this set on BD before too long.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
dvdbeaver.com has some screenshots of Traffic, and goodness, does it look great. I wasn't plan on buying this because I have the Criterion edition but those screenshots might have changed my mind.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I too am very glad so far that none of these "flipper" releases are must-buys for me -- very glad they stayed away from that for Apollo 13, Elizabeth and some others. I'd rather see them prove their reliability before I buy any (and even then, I'd still much rather have the BD and DVD separate).

And honestly, who really needs the DVD version anyway for most of these catalog titles??? I sure don't. We're not talking about recent/new movies or rarely seen catalog titles afterall -- surely, most folks interested in owning the DVD version on top of the BD would already own the DVD. And they're probably also not the kind of titles you'd be giving the old DVDs away to friends/family in droves either (like w/ more family/kids-oriented titles).

Anyway, from my perspective, this approach w/ the flipper format is probably just more trouble than it's worth. To me, it'd make more sense for them to just go w/ the separate-disc combos and only do it for certain releases that makes the most sense (rather than w/ some of these catalog titles that are less likely to benefit from the combo releases)...

_Man_

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Anyway, from my perspective, this approach w/ the flipper format is probably just more trouble than it's worth.
Exactly what trouble have any of these flipper discs caused you?

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
The point that needs to get across to Universal is that a double disc set is better and more useful than their silly and unwanted flipper discs. If the other studios can take into account the customer's preference, why can't Universal? Their attitude is driven by their greed to cut costs and to force sell their flipper discs. I for one have passed up on a few of their titles and will continue to do so until Universal releases the titles, packaged either as a single or double disc.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
What makes you assume that customers prefer two discs to a flipper? I don't know that is actually the case. It really doesn't matter to me as long as I get a DVD with the blu-ray.

Doug

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Presumedly there's less to go wrong with two discs. Personally, if I buy a Blu-ray, then that's what I want, but that's just me.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm a media geek and have to get at least one of these discs (already have the Bourne movies on HD-DVD so didn't get those), so I'll get The Jackal as it's the only movie I don't already have on another format. I think this is a good idea as long as it works, and a premium isn't charged on them like they were for the HD-DVD combo discs. I hope they can manage to put a label on side 2 as well, since apparently the Bourne discs didn't and NONE of the HD-DVD combo discs from any company did!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by cafink ">[/url]

Exactly what trouble have any of these flipper discs caused you?[/QUOTE]Carl,

Why do you need to keep asking this question? Do you really care? I know I (and various others) have answered this type of question before. You can always look up my/our previous responses (or simply just recall what you've already read before since I know you've been following these threads), if you really cared.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've posted my reasons for disliking these flippers in the previous threads referenced above, so I will not repeat them here. I just consider myself fortunate that Universal has yet released a film in this format that is a "must have" for me, so I have been able to avoid the decision on whether to purchase or not. My biggest fear is that they will release Jurassic Park or Jaws (or some other title that is a personal favorite) on a flipper.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong /forum/thread/299790/universal-s-2nd-wave-of-br-flipper-disks#post_3682413

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

I'm actually more inclined to think the OP might possibly have a not-so-benign hidden agenda than most others in this thread (not that I'm convinced of that though) -- and some (who like the flipper idea) might simply be annoyed at that and responding to that (and any perceived similar posts... like mine perhaps) w/ a suspicious (maybe even hostile) tone as a result. And although I can understand that kind of response to some extent (as I mentioned earlier), I also don't want our views/opinions on the matter to get trampled and/or marginalized in the process...

_Man_

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
It was just a general observation. I wasn't specifically calling anyone out by it. Undoubtedly we all have patterns to our perspectives and the way we express them, for better or worse.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

I've posted my reasons for disliking these flippers in the previous threads referenced above, so I will not repeat them here. I just consider myself fortunate that Universal has yet released a film in this format that is a "must have" for me, so I have been able to avoid the decision on whether to purchase or not. My biggest fear is that they will release Jurassic Park or Jaws (or some other title that is a personal favorite) on a flipper.
What he says goes for me too!

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong /forum/thread/299790/universal-s-2nd-wave-of-br-flipper-disks/30#post_3682494
I don't think you miswrote it. But what you're expecting is for the studios to prove that flipper discs don't fail any more often than sets of two separate discs. This could be done over the short term, but showing it in the long term is impossible; non-flippers have simply been around for longer than flippers. If flippers fail, quickly, that can be shown easily enough. But showing they *don't* fail more or less means waiting them out. "There's always the 21st year of shelf life to consider and compare!"

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
Quote:Originally Posted by PaulDA

I prefer separate discs over "flippers" but I prefer the flexibility of either, when available, over no flexibility. I ALWAYS prefer to have a "hard copy" to the "streaming" option--so flipper before download for me, please.
Me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks