What's new

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs (1 Viewer)

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I would love to think that there may be plans to release them as part of those 10 movie collections that Universal has been doing or being licensed out or maybe even being released separately by Universal themselves, but without any real hard evidence, your guess is as good as mine.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
t1g3r5fan said:
I would love to think that there may be plans to release them as part of those 10 movie collections that Universal has been doing or being licensed out or maybe even being released separately by Universal themselves, but without any real hard evidence, your guess is as good as mine.
That occurred to me to. Although I could see House and Death on the same set, I don't see where Ruggles would fit in, and I am not sure what other Universal Vault issues may have been discontinued.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
We need some sort of response from Universal or Amazon about this. Last week there were 58 titles listed as out of print, today when I checked there are 22 additional titles. Maybe Universal cut a MOD deal with another company. If interested, there is a list here, but they may be going out of print faster than I can update it.

gcardu10

Agent
Real Name
Greg C.
Universal Home Studios posted the following response (about a week ago) on Facebook to an inquiry about the titles that are no longer available directly from Amazon:--------Universal Studios Entertainment:Yikes! For some reason the buy links are missing on some of those older titles and the prices you are seeing are from third-party sales. We'll work with Amazon to get this corrected. Thanks for bringing it to our attention and please check back soon.---------There haven't been any further updates and, as far as I can tell, no changes on Amazon.I responded to the post on Facebook a couple days ago for an update, but no response. Unlike the Warner Archive on Facebook, there does not seem to be a way to PM them directly.My thought is that the person at Universal responding to posts was not aware of the reason (whatever it might be) that the titles were taken off of Amazon.

gcardu10

Agent
Real Name
Greg C.
GregoryMesh said:
We need some sort of response from Universal or Amazon about this. Last week there were 58 titles listed as out of print, today when I checked there are 22 additional titles. Maybe Universal cut a MOD deal with another company. If interested, there is a list here, but they may be going out of print faster than I can update it.
You would think Universal and Amazon would rather be making $20 a pop for these titles, rather than watching opportunists get rich by selling them at exorbitant prices.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I hope Mlamarre is right, i checked the list and found several i bought--but also several i was planning to. Who knew?

Real Name
Joe
I guess some warning or explanation from either Amazon or Universal would have been nice. But hey, we're only consumers. I did get the notice that The Chalk Garden I had ordered when it was still at regular price won't be coming any time soon. But I already knew that when the "guranteed" September delivery date came and went. Next time, I won't take it for granted that something will be there to purchase later, even if it's a MOD. Just think it's kind of shabby how this was handled by both parties.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Still no update on the Universal FB page. I don't understand why any MOD titles would go out of print, assuming that the studio owns the rights.

That said, at least a few of the titles are still available as pressed DVDs in box sets. A few which come to mind are Ulzana's Raid, Tarantula, The Cat and the Canary, and It Ain't Hay. There is a pressed import of Cobra Woman available, but it appears to be region-locked.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I got China with Alan Ladd and Loretta Young . I thought it looked very good . I also enjoyed the movie . I wish Universal would put out these Alan Ladd films a little quicker . They just trickle out here and there .

Real Name
Joe
Okay, so this Universal thing gets a bit weirder for me. Recapping our last episode if you'll recall, I had The Chalk Garden in the saved section of my Amazon shopping cart. When it became unavailable for reasons still unknown and unexplained to the peasants, and the 3rd party prices jumped to $100, I took it out of my cart. A few days later, I checked on it again and it was listed as available for $17.95 from Amazon ($19.33 with tax). So this time I ordered it straight away and they set a future delivery date about two weeks or more down the road. That was in early September. A week after the guaranteed delivery date came and went clicking the tracking only told me that my item was being prepared for shipment, I finally received a notice from Amazon that the item currently was unavailable but to let them know if I was still interested before October 25th. I did this and thought that was the end of that. It wasn't.The plot thickens.So today I'm looking at my bank statement and I see that I have been given a $19.33 refund from Amazon. The amount was familiar but the only credits I supposedly should have received recently were two at just over $4 as a price guarantee on The Mod Squad. After double checking my order list and verifying that this was the amount for The Chalk Garden, I felt it was strange for them to have taken this out of my account for an item that had supposedly never shipped. Scrolling through my statement, I discovered that Amazon had charged me $19.33 for the DVD on September 3rd. Now I've been buying from Amazon for five years, and I cannot recall having been charged for anything that wasn't shipped or at the very least ready to be shipped. Adding to this is that when I did reorder The Chalk Garden, it had already told me it wouldn't be shipped until later which meant I shouldn't have been charged at all. So what's the deal?I don't know. Has anybody ever been charged by Amazon before something was ready to even be shipped or when unavailable for shipping? Maybe I'll send this into The Consumerist since neither Amazon nor Universal want to fess up. Maybe they can get answers.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
The above situation sounds like they treated the purchase as coming from a third party vendor, which they charge right away but will refund it is not shipped out in time.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
One Universal title which I've been hoping for is Bedtime Story (1964) with Marlon Brando, David Niven and Shirley Jones. It was remade in 1988 as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

I have a Region 2 DVD but it's not a Universal release and is pretty ragged. Did Universal allow this to go public domain? They released a VHS tape in 1994.

Real Name
Joe
John Stell said:
The above situation sounds like they treated the purchase as coming from a third party vendor, which they charge right away but will refund it is not shipped out in time.
That may have been what they were doing. Although I'm 100 percent certain it wasn't listed as coming from an outside seller. I guess all I can do is wait and see what the deal is.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Anyone know anything about the pre-order on Amazon for what must be a Universal Vault Series release of YOU CAN NEVER TELL? I've been waiting forever for this title and can't wait to own it. They have a $19 price listed for it, suggesting Vault Series, but I can't find an official announcement anywhere.

gcardu10

Agent
Real Name
Greg C.
Other titles are being listed for Pre-order as well, including "Little Man, What Now?" (1934) with Margaret Sullavan (an excellent, though largely forgotten film).This makes the removal of so many other Universal Vault Series titles from Amazon, of late, seem even stranger.I just sent an email to Amazon Help asking for information about the removed titles. I expect to get a typical canned answer from Amazon, and may end up calling, but don't feel like making a call right now.If I learn anything new I will post it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks