What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (3 Viewers)

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
UniversalPhan said:
Studios won't capitalize on the death of a recently deceased celebrity because of fallout from the public that tends to erupt.
finally. i always thought that was poor salesmanship to do that. i also liked james garner in space cowboys. he was with three other living legends when it comes to actors.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Another one I can cross off my list...I just stumbled on the original Roots mini-series on a seven disc single-sided set over the weekend. Wish they would also give Roots: The Next Generation the same treatment.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It looks like Quantum Leap is being re-released as a complete series set on November 4, 2014.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00MN9PQBO
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Quantum-Leap-The-Complete-Series/20164

From the amazon link, it says it will be a 27 disc set.

IIRC, seasons 2 to 5 each had three double-side flipper discs while season 1 had three single-sided discs. So replicating all the sides of the flipper discs would add up to 4 * 3 * 2 = 24 single-sided discs. So 24 + 3 = 27 single-sided discs.

(No word either way on music substitution issues).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Looking at the recent past release schedule of the individual Law & Order seasons in November and February (over the last several years), perhaps Universal might re-release the individual final seasons 18 to 20 in February 2015 ?

http://tvshowsondvd.com/shows/Law-Order/2693

I only started watching first-run episodes of the orginal Law & Order during season 18, when it started mid-season in early-2008. Previously I only watched reruns and random episodes via channel surfing.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jcroy said:
It looks like Quantum Leap is being re-released as a complete series set on November 4, 2014.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00MN9PQBO
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Quantum-Leap-The-Complete-Series/20164

From the amazon link, it says it will be 27 disc set.

IIRC, seasons 2 to 5 each had three double-side flipper discs while season 1 had three single-sided discs. So replicating all the sides of the flipper discs would add up to 4 * 3 * 2 = 24 single-sided discs. So 24 + 3 = 27 single-sided discs.

(No word either way on music substitution issues).
I'm betting they're just single sided repressings of what's already out there. I mean, Universal never fixed season 14 of Law and Order, and they had two chances to do it. And that only meant using the correct, unedited, widescreen versions of the episodes instead of what they originally released, and they never did fix the problem. Fixing QL would mean paying for song clearance, and odds are that won't happen.

So, I'll stay happy with my R2 versions of S2 and 3, and maybe pick up S4 and 5 when they're eventually released in single sets and dirt cheap, just to replace the flippers.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Lately I've been noticing the original flipper-disc versions of Quantum Leap have been flooding the local $10-$15 dump bins.

I don't know if this is a coincidence. :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Obsolete Man said:
I'm betting they're just single sided repressings of what's already out there. I mean, Universal never fixed season 14 of Law and Order, and they had two chances to do it. And that only meant using the correct, unedited, widescreen versions of the episodes instead of what they originally released, and they never did fix the problem.
On the issue of season 14 of Law & Order.

Did they at least reauthor the dvd menus by changing "side 1A" and "side 1B" to "disc 1" and "disc 2", etc ... ?

Or did they just leave in the old "side 1A", "side 1B", etc ... from the flipper menus? (ie. A straight repress on single-sided discs without reauthoring any of the menus).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(To reiterate). Repost of the list of Universal flipper season sets which have not been re-released yet as single-side discs.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - seasons 2 and 5Law & Order Criminal Intent - season 3Las Vegas - seasons 1 and 2The Rockford Files - season 1Emergency! - seasons 1 and 2Alfred Hitchcock Presents - season 1Quincy, M.E. - seasons 1/2Adam-12 - season 1Kojak - season 1Kolchak - The Night Stalker
Dragnet 1967 - season 1
Baa Baa Black Sheep - volume 1
Airwolf - season 1

Seaquest DSV - season 1Sliders - season 3Cleopatra 2525 - Complete Series (2000)Earth 2 - The Complete Series
American Gothic - Complete Series

McCloud - seasons 1/2. (This was re-released overseas, but not in america).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In terms of speculating on which Universal flipper season sets might see a single-sided discs re-release in the near future, at this point I can only see this being done for shows that are released as "complete series" sets or if the old inventory runs out.

The above flipper-disc shows which have yet to see a complete series set released, I would guess might have a better chance at being re-released as single-sided discs. (ie. Complete series sets might be another way of clearing out old inventory from their warehouses).

- Airwolf
- Rockford Files
- Emergency!
- Las Vegas
- Sliders

For Shout Factory continued shows like:

- Dragnet 1967
- Adam-12
- Kojak
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent
- Quincy ME
- etc ...

I can only see the flipper season sets being re-released as single-sided discs if Shout Factory releases the "complete series" sets (similar to "Leave It To Beaver"), and/or if the old flipper inventory runs out. Whichever comes first.

For shows like McCloud and Baa Baa Black Sheep, I can only see the flipper disc season sets being re-released as single-sides discs, if a company like VEI / Millennium or Shout Factory licenses these shows. (Similar to what was done for "McMillan and Wife").

For "Alfred Hichcock Presents", I can only see season 1 being re-released as single-side discs if the entire series is released as a "complete series" set, either by Universal or somebody else (such as VEI / Millennium or Shout Factory). But I suspect if season 1 runs out of inventory before then, I wouldn't be surprised if Universal goes the dvd-mod route for a re-issue.

For the remaining shows like the one-season wonders: Kolchak, Earth 2, American Gothic, Cleopatra 2525, and incomplete/ongoing series like: Law & Order SVU and Seaquest DSV, I wouldn't be surprised if the flipper sets only see a single-sided disc re-release once the old inventory runs out.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
What would be really bad is if the one-season wonders and incomplete shows like Kolchak, Earth 2, American Gothic, Cleopatra 2525, Seaquest DSV, etc ... all end up being re-issued as dvd-mod.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In terms of scavenging through local bargain bins, recently I have seen these Universal flipper disc season sets in significant quantities:

Law & Order Criminal Intent - season 3
Emergency! - seasons 1 and 2
Rockford Files - season 1
Airwolf - season 1
Dragnet 1967 - season 1
Las Vegas - seasons 1 and 2
Law & Order: SVU - season 2
Quantum Leap - all seasons

(Oddly enough, I haven't seen Law & Order SVU season 5 in a long time).

As to whether this actually means anything in regard to possible future single-sided discs re-releases, I don't have a clue.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(In terms of Fox and Warner flipper season sets in local bargain bins).

The only Warner flipper disc sets I see semi-regularly in local dump bins are: the original Dallas, V, CHiPs, ER and Gilligan's Island. I rarely ever see the other Warner flipper sets like: Without a Trace, Kung-Fu, Dukes of Hazzard, Wonder Woman, The Waltons, The West Wing, etc ...

In the case of Fox / MGM, the local dump bins are filled with tons of flipper disc season sets like:

Reba - all seasons
In Living Color - all seasons
Remington Steele - all seasons
The White Shadow - seasons 1 and 2
Hill Street Blues - seasons 1 and 2
NYPD Blue - seasons 3 and 4
The Pretender - all seasons
The Simple Life - all seasons
Bones - season 1
King of the Hill - seasons 1 to 6
Mary Tyler Moore
Green Acres
The Best of Mr Ed
Cagney & Lacey - season 1
Alien Nation - season 1

(The other Fox/MGM flipper discs sets I don't see very often in the local dump bins, like: The Addams Family, the original Outer Limits, St Elsewhere, Anything But Love, Dharma & Greg, The Big Valley, The Lone Gunmen, Space Above and Beyond, Christy, The Bob Newhart Show, etc ...).

In the case of Fox, it probably doesn't mean anything since Fox has yet to re-release any flipper disc season sets as single-sided discs sets. (Perhaps Fox sees nothing wrong with dvd-14 type flipper discs? )

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Wezzo said:
Seasons 1 and 2 of KOTH were single-sided. They went flipper with S3. :)
Touche. :)

Also in that list, only season 2 of Mary Tyler Moore had one flipper disc. The other remaining season 2 discs were single-sided.

Also IIRC, seasons 3 to 5 of "In Living Color" were flippers.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Yep, seasons 1-2 of In Living Color are single-sided discs.

I'm replacing all of my flippers of The Waltons seasons 1-7 and am wondering about seasons 8-9. Why on earth would they re-do seasons 1-7 and NOT the last two? Is it just a case of remaining inventory on the flippers for those last two seasons? Granted, those were the weakest two seasons, but the completist in me wants to see them get the single-sided treatment.

I'm also really hoping some company like Shout! picks up Kolchak and does a release that includes the two made for TV movies.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
IMHO in the case of Fox/MGM flippers, I still strongly suspect that Fox is just "washing their hands" of most of their flipper sets.

In several cases they can already wash their hands completely, such as Cagney & Lacey, Hill Street Blues, The Bob Newhart Show, etc ... where these shows were licensed out and re-released already by VEI/Millennium or Shout Factory. In principle Shout Factory can re-release the flipper sets from NYPD Blue, The Big Valley, Mr Ed, etc ... as single-sided disc sets.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Fox is waiting for somebody else to license out their other stalled flipper disc shows like: St Elsewhere, The White Shadow, Green Acres, Dharma & Greg, Anything But Love, King of the Hill, etc ...

For season 1 of Dynasty, I wouldn't be surprised if Fox has already "washed their hands" of it.

For flipper shows where Fox/MGM has already released every season, it's hard to say what Fox will do when the old inventory runs out. (ie. The Addams Family, the original Outer Limits, The Pretender, Remington Steele, Alien Nation, The Lone Gunmen, Space Above and Beyond, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Christy, Reba, etc ...).

Will Fox just manufacture the flipper discs again? Or will Fox re-issue them as single-side discs sets? For that matter, will Fox just let some sets go out-of-print?

(IIRC back in the late-2000's, shows like The Pretender, Remington Steele, the original Outer Limits, etc ... were re-released as repackaged season sets in generic viva multi-disc dvd cases, but still as flipper discs).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Mr. Handley said:
I'm replacing all of my flippers of The Waltons seasons 1-7 and am wondering about seasons 8-9. Why on earth would they re-do seasons 1-7 and NOT the last two? Is it just a case of remaining inventory on the flippers for those last two seasons? Granted, those were the weakest two seasons, but the completist in me wants to see them get the single-sided treatment.
Most likely the season 8 and 9 flipper sets have not been sold out yet.

No point in manufacturing more copies if there's still plenty of old copies still left in warehouses and distributors.

Warner has not done any further single-sided discs repackaged re-releases of previous flipper disc season sets, since 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks