What's new

Universal preparing THE MARX BROTHERS and MOVIE MONSTERS 2 COLLECTIONS and MORE for HD! (1 Viewer)

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
brynmill said:
With my favourites being done over (the Frankenstein films), let's also hope the other 30s and 40s Universal horrors will follow including the less popular Mummy, Inner Sanctums, and the Karloff/Lugosi DVD sets.
Totally agree. I certainly hope the Frankenstein's are available next year, and I'll buy all the Karloff & Lugosi they will upgrade and restore to HD

(and I will probably buy them again if they go to 4K)!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
brynmill said:
With my favourites being done over (the Frankenstein films), let's also hope the other 30s and 40s Universal horrors will follow including the less popular Mummy, Inner Sanctums, and the Karloff/Lugosi DVD sets.
I have that Inner Sanctum DVD box set. Six movies in less than seven hours; they could fit them all on one Blu-Ray, with plenty of room left over for radio shows.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Love the idea of these on BD but wouldn't 7 hours cause compression issues? Three films per disc would should be very doable.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Steve...O said:
Love the idea of these on BD but wouldn't 7 hours cause compression issues? Three films per disc would should be very doable.
Oh, sure. It's just such a neat little DVD set, especially for fans of Lon Chaney Jr., that I'd like it out there on Blu-Ray. As far as I could tell, it wasn't that available back in 2006 when it came out. They put three films per disc on the 2 DVD's in the box, by the way, and the quality is quite good in my opinion.

IMG_2923.JPG

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on release dates for these titles?

The Marx brothers films are great and I'm excited to see them.

Will these be uhd blu Ray releases as well?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nobody knows, Osato.

Probably this year, but it's still early.

UHD? (laugh)....no.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im guessing the horror titles will be ready for September or October. Please let there not be another release of the same Universal titles. I can almost see them doing blu ray sets this with their franchise classics such as Frankenstein and this time all the sequels.. :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
They released the later Frankenstein films on blu-ray in Germany. They aren't cheap though. All individual releases. 2 disc sets. Not sure if the second disc is a DVD or supplements.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
David Steigman said:
Im guessing the horror titles will be ready for September or October. Please let there not be another release of the same Universal titles. I can almost see them doing blu ray sets this with their franchise classics such as Frankenstein and this time all the sequels.. :)

If it's a Frankenstein Legacy set, then I won't mind double dipping on the first two Frankenstein films.

Bigshot, that's France not Germany. I looks like Universal have licensed out their old HD transfers, & from some of the reviews I've read, it sounds like they could do with a de-spot. I think I'll wait for the Universal releases.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the Marx brothers I hope Warners releases the MGM Marx films on blu ray soon. I really want to replace the cut DVD of At the Circus. I never did find out why they relased a cut version of this film on DVD when they released it uncut on VHS and Laserdisc. Its missing one of the funniest scenes where Chico explains why marriage is like a 3 ring circus when he is sending the telegram. I'm not sure if there are any other missing scenes but that scene missing makes watching the DVD a huge disappointment. Hopefully this scene will be restored when it comes out on Blu-Ray otherwise I will need to repurchase this film on Laserdisc since I sold mine a long time ago.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Billy Batson said:
Bigshot, that's France not Germany. I looks like Universal have licensed out their old HD transfers, & from some of the reviews I've read, it sounds like they could do with a de-spot. I think I'll wait for the Universal releases.

There is also an Invisible Man set, but inexplicably, two of the films on that set are DVDs.

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
Randy Korstick said:
Speaking of the Marx brothers I hope Warners releases the MGM Marx films on blu ray soon. I really want to replace the cut DVD of At the Circus. I never did find out why they relased a cut version of this film on DVD when they released it uncut on VHS and Laserdisc. Its missing one of the funniest scenes where Chico explains why marriage is like a 3 ring circus when he is sending the telegram. I'm not sure if there are any other missing scenes but that scene missing makes watching the DVD a huge disappointment. Hopefully this scene will be restored when it comes out on Blu-Ray otherwise I will need to repurchase this film on Laserdisc since I sold mine a long time ago.

Randy, all day I've been consulting Marx experts and authors worldwide, and have had everyone checking old VHS tapes and laserdiscs....not one person can find or recall this exchange.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They are not checking the right place because it has always been there until the dvd. I watched the film 10-12 times in the 80s and 90s and the scene is there on the vhs and laserdisc. I always quote the scene as its a favorite of mine. I knew the movie so well it stood out as a sore thumb when it wasn't there. It's in the section where Chico is sending the telegram. The dvd has a rough jump cut where the scene was cut. It's only a 10-12 second scene. Amc showed this scene as well in the 80s and 90s. I plan to watch it on tcm next time to see if their version is cut.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Randy Korstick said:
They are not checking the right place because it has always been there until the dvd. I watched the film 10-12 times in the 80s and 90s and the scene is there on the vhs and laserdisc. I always quote the scene as its a favorite of mine. I knew the movie so well it stood out as a sore thumb when it wasn't there. It's in the section where Chico is sending the telegram. The dvd has a rough jump cut where the scene was cut. It's only a 10-12 second scene. Amc showed this scene as well in the 80s and 90s. I plan to watch it on tcm next time to see if their version is cut.
Hi Randy!

I have access to a 'circa 2007' TCM recording of AT THE CIRCUS. If you can tell me approximately how many minutes into the film the "Marriage is a three ring circus" exchange is supposed to take place, I'd be more than happy to check it out for you! :)

CHEERS! :)

Tony

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Brandon Conway said:
Excellent news. I was very impressed with their work on Dracula, especially with the audio. A lot of the problems with the Marx Bros films have been the poor quality of the soundtracks, so I'm hoping for good results here.
There seem to be a lot of missing frames on the early Marx Brothers films. These films were really crying out to be remastered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks